5d3 v 1dmk4

But the SD slot is slow.

I think for short bursts it won't be a problem.

wont be a problem for me I aint got one

Malla you want top be ashamed of your self then LOL

not wanting to get into the nitty gritty of this debate.. I have a 1 series camera albeit an old mk2N and in the past few weeks got the 5d3

I think the 5d3 is an immense camera the ISO is just insane by far the best I have ever used

for a looong time Canon has been licking Nikon's backside in the ISO Low light performance
they have now come up with a Camera that can compete with there top range cameras

the new 1 series camera's from Canon do have more features and full waterproofing over the 5d3 and from that perspective for a photographer who HAS to go out in all weathers the 1 series has always got to be a better choice
however the 5d3 files are so clean I find it hard to believe what camera can beat it at producing clean files even from low light

Well lets put this pro vs consumer thing to bed - check out this link to Canon UK for the professional photographer, it lists the 5D II (oddly never the mk III in any but I think its outdated despite listing the 1D-X in sports) in all categories bar for event and sports, so I think that is pretty conclusive and I suspect that is down to reach or perhaps fps (the 50D being 1.3 faster than the 5D3) as the 50D is down for events

EDIT - Canon USA list this lot (EOS-1D X, EOS 5D Mark III, EOS 5D Mark II, EOS 7D, EOS 60Da & EOS 60D) - here - under Professional Imaging Products / Products / Cameras & Camcorders / EOS Cameras, so thats it, its final :D

Anyway all that aside I moved from the 1D3 to the 5D3, which I know isn't exactly what you asked about but for me it was a big step up in everything but build quality and believe me the quality of the 5D3 is not to be sniffed at but isn't quite up there with the 1D body.

Anyway all that aside I moved from the 1D3 to the 5D3 said:
I'm interested John in what you found the biggest differences apart from the resolution were.

Thanks

Malla you want top be ashamed of your self then LOL

not wanting to get into the nitty gritty of this debate.. I have a 1 series camera albeit an old mk2N and in the past few weeks got the 5d3

I think the 5d3 is an immense camera the ISO is just insane by far the best I have ever used

for a looong time Canon has been licking Nikon's backside in the ISO Low light performance
they have now come up with a Camera that can compete with there top range cameras

the new 1 series camera's from Canon do have more features and full waterproofing over the 5d3 and from that perspective for a photographer who HAS to go out in all weathers the 1 series has always got to be a better choice
however the 5d3 files are so clean I find it hard to believe what camera can beat it at producing clean files even from low light
Mor my use chris nothing will beat the 1 series as I need the crop, but for the little use I have for the 5d2 I quite like it apart from the focusing, maybe I will get rid of the 5d2 and give the 5d3 a try lol

Gaz - I would have to say apart from the feel (which a grip may partially make up for but I'm getting used to not having one) it would have to be improved AF, better screen, not worry at all about what ISO is at, better IQ (just a bit but its there), higher resolution even when off set against the crop (sort of) increase gives me more wriggle room, plus the viewfinder on the 1D3 claimed to be "approx" 100%, but seemed to miss little bits off if I was too close to the edge.

Downsides would be the feel of the body as mentioned (although it is better than any other body I've used bar the 1D3) and that even lenses have a little more vignetting than the 1.3 crop but thats to be expected.

Gaz - I would have to say apart from the feel (which a grip may partially make up for but I'm getting used to not having one) it would have to be improved AF, better screen, not worry at all about what ISO is at, better IQ (just a bit but its there), higher resolution even when off set against the crop (sort of) increase gives me more wriggle room, plus the viewfinder on the 1D3 claimed to be "approx" 100%, but seemed to miss little bits off if I was too close to the edge.

Downsides would be the feel of the body as mentioned (although it is better than any other body I've used bar the 1D3) and that even lenses have a little more vignetting than the 1.3 crop but thats to be expected.

I gripped mine up last Friday (y) and I can tell you John it is superb (y) really improves the feel no end and I'm sure if you decided to do it I don't think you would regret it :D

And boy battery life is mental with the grip, I shot close to 1,000 frames on two fully LP-E6's and at the end of the day one was on 88% and the other 86% :eek:

Back