5d4 not saving video to both cards?

Name
wayne clarke
Edit My Images
Yes
I shot some video on a 5d4 today (dont normally use it for video) and when I was getting the pictures off the SD card I noticed there were no video files, yet they are saved on the CF, the camera is set to save to both cards, at least it save pics to both cards. Is there a setting I've missed or does it only save video to the CF?
Thanks

Thanks both. After a bit of playing it seems it does only save to one card with video, couriously the card you have set to view from (so you can change it to either) Considering Canon make a fuss about dual slots as a back-up it seems odd they then only save video to one. Looks like I have to live with it.
Thanks again.

Thanks both. After a bit of playing it seems it does only save to one card with video, couriously the card you have set to view from (so you can change it to either) Considering Canon make a fuss about dual slots as a back-up it seems odd they then only save video to one. Looks like I have to live with it.
Thanks again.
Yet on my Canon camcorder it saves to both.

Is there a setting I've missed or does it only save video to the CF?

I was always under the impression that it would only save 4k video to the CF card and HD to either (but not both at the same time) Having just read this i've tried it, I took the CF card out and it recorded 4K to the SD card!

I was always under the impression that it would only save 4k video to the CF card and HD to either (but not both at the same time) Having just read this i've tried it, I took the CF card out and it recorded 4K to the SD card!
As far as I can tell it only records video to which ever slot you have set the camera to view from, in my case slot 1 (the CF) if I change it to slot 2 SD it records video to that one but not the CF.
Not the most intuitive idea but at least now I know.

saves to both on my panasonic camcorder as well or as a follow on card. One of the advantages of a camcorder over a DSLR.

On my Nikon D810 shows movie destination choice
movie setting.jpg

Last edited:
saves to both on my panasonic camcorder as well or as a follow on card. One of the advantages of a camcorder over a DSLR.

On my Nikon D810 shows movie destination choice
View attachment 395901

Having a proper choice like that on the Nikon seems a better way of doing it, rather than just which card you view images from. I've no idea why they give us lots of image saving options but no proper video saving option. If I hadnt tried playing with it I doubt I'd have figured it out and just assumed it only saved to slot 1.

Back