5DIII vs BMCC

An eye-opener, even if some of the technical jargon was lost on me :LOL:

I'd seen the BMCC in the Calumet brochure and instantly wondered how good it would be for the money - looks to be awesome. I'll have to stick with my D7000 for the time being though.... :)

DSLR video is rubbish compared to this cinema camera!

If it were a Nikon mount I'd be purchasing one.

Thanks for sharing.

It seems that way, although it's relative - many 5D2/3 users will be perfectly happy shooting video on their cameras and then using it to take stills. The cinema camera is a one-trick pony and although cheap for what it does, is probably overkill for what many users require...

Saying that, I'd have one :LOL:

specialman said:
It seems that way, although it's relative - many 5D2/3 users will be perfectly happy shooting video on their cameras and then using it to take stills. The cinema camera is a one-trick pony and although cheap for what it does, is probably overkill for what many users require...

Saying that, I'd have one :LOL:

Agreed. What it does though, it does very well.

remember that just 3 years ago they were running comparison videos between the 5d2 and the ex-1 and going crazy over the IQ of the 5d2, all of a sudden it is completely unacceptable IQ and looks like total ass

Last edited:
Phil Young said:
DSLR video is rubbish compared to this cinema camera!

If it were a Nikon mount I'd be purchasing one.

Thanks for sharing.

Get the MFT one and a novoflex adapter for Nikon mount.

It certainly is an incredible camera, and what a crazy low price point! I can see it being -very- popular. I can't wait to shoot with it at some point! Though when I do so, it may well make me want to buy one...

I just don't understand why anyone should want to shoot video with a DSLR. A £50, 20yr old VHS video camera of ebay has a better auto focus system.I just don't get it at all.:bang::bonk:

I just don't understand why anyone should want to shoot video with a DSLR. A £50, 20yr old VHS video camera of ebay has a better auto focus system.I just don't get it at all.:bang::bonk:

Very little if any professional video is shot with autofocus.

Very little if any professional video is shot with autofocus.

So are we supposed to be using manual focus with our DSLR's,I have a D7000 and a D3s and it would be impossible to video anything with autofocus accept the slowest of moving objects.Yet the manufactures keep putting it on new DSLR's?

kestral said:
So are we supposed to be using manual focus with our DSLR's,I have a D7000 and a D3s and it would be impossible to video anything with autofocus accept the slowest of moving objects. Yet the manufactures keep putting it on new DSLR's?

I beg to differ. I've shot a 90 sec news slot with a 5dII using manual focus with no trouble at all. It was about three day eventing; ie horses moving fairly quickly.

I shoot everything on my DSLR; I have a good selection of lenses, I don't need Hollywood-grade audio and I need the flexibility of stills AND video in one body. Makes perfect sense and the quality of the footage is absolutely fine...

I wouldn't rely in AF in liveview all the time - contrast level, subject distance and subject speed are a few things that I've found dictate its effectiveness - but it is better than I expected. I choose to manually focus because it suits me and with the excellent screen on the D7000, its a doddle.

[YOUTUBE]pCdVV04rbZw[/YOUTUBE]

(watch in 720)

Last edited:
kestral said:
So are we supposed to be using manual focus with our DSLR's,I have a D7000 and a D3s and it would be impossible to video anything with autofocus accept the slowest of moving objects.Yet the manufactures keep putting it on new DSLR's?

By no means impossible. Just takes practice. Camera operators at football games have very long lenses and still manually focus...

kestral said:

People even have jobs for it - focus pullers.

Its difficult as a DSLR operator. If I'm videoing moving subjects I will tend to get my camcorder involved which is much better for tracking.

Considering my about to upgrade to a D800 for film, I think I might look into the BMCC. Could be a better option.

remember that just 3 years ago they were running comparison videos between the 5d2 and the ex-1 and going crazy over the IQ of the 5d2, all of a sudden it is completely unacceptable IQ and looks like total ass
this.

the video from 5D3 still looks fantastic.

By no means impossible. Just takes practice. Camera operators at football games have very long lenses and still manually focus...

I have seen behind the scenes footage of sports videographers tracking a moving golf ball in flight with an 800mm lens
the trick is that if you're a professional and you do something every single day, you get pretty good at it
and an external monitor with focus peaking

Considering my about to upgrade to a D800 for film, I think I might look into the BMCC. Could be a better option.

Yes. It really is tantalisingly affordable. I've got a D800, largely justified on the grounds of video.... replacing it with a D700 and getting a BMCC wouldn't be *outgragous....*

I'll wait until I've shot with it. End of the day, it's going to cost you an additional grand in media and batteries alone to get a working setup.

Last edited:
Dave, I've already got nikon stuff, so I'm probably gonna get that. Its got the frame rates too so you can shoot slomo.
The BMCC doesn't, but it would be amazing for using for everything else.

The thing that lets its down is that you can't change the batteries and SSD are £300 for a 512GB which offers 60mins of footage. Gonna nail some amount of hard drive space when you start using that on jobs.

I'm looking at the Atmos Ninja for the D800 allows you to shoot pro res and offers better CC but Im not sure what to do yet!

symmetricalOCD said:
wow that make me really think how much the 5D II sucks fo video, the BMCC is the clear winner, on my monitor the difference is noticeable.

Yes.... On the other hand, a lot, if not almost all of my video work is destined for web use. I definitely don't need 2.5k - c300 footage holds up very well on cinema screens - its tough. The hard drive space certainly would be a killer - 5mb per frame! in raw... Clossal overkill for web video - and yet - its half the price even of the c100...

Autofocus on a video camera? Why would you want that?

All cameramen I know run manual everything on a video camera.

st599 said:
Autofocus on a video camera? Why would you want that?

All cameramen I know run manual everything on a video camera.

I was discussing this with a very reputable director recently.

I don't think it will be long before focus pullers don't have a job - I'm sure touch to focus will be a big technology in the not too distant future.

Yes. Professional video is NOT shot using AF. Professional film makers will not use AF. You focus manually with video. If you can't do it, you practice more, simple as that. Anyone serious though will add a focus puller to their rig, not try to manually focus with the lens barrel.

If you look at a fixed location professional broadcast camera at say the football or the golf, you'll notice 2 handlebars at the back, each with a control on it.

One controls zoom, one controls focus. (aperture and shutter are controlled remotely - so all the cameras can be aligned to match each other)

Every time I say Dslr is not ideal for video, I get shot down. I see it as a bonus, good enough for filming your kids or making mini movies or whatever, unprofessionally. But if you're serious about video, a dedicated video rig will always be miles better.

One way to help keep everything in nice sharp focus while recording with a dslr, using manual focus, is to shoot wide most of the time. And also keep the AE/L button locked during. So you don't get that nasty flickering. I was going mad thinking it was rubbish and couldn't keep up with focusing on anything while shooting. Then shot wider, with AE/L on, manual focusing gently with thumb and middle finger on the focus ring at all times, no sudden jerky movements, breating in and out with the movement of the focus ring - getting much sharper and steadier videos. And I really don't have much clue on these things. [someone might well say, 'that shows because everyone knows these little tips!" :D ] - But, I discovered it myself. It just made sense that everything would stay in focus better the wider you go. If you want close in shots, cut in to them and pre-focus.

image quality if you compare footage taken with a DSLR to camcorder you will see:)

Yeah, your camcorder will look like video and your DSLR will be aliasing like mad and adding moire patterns.

Er OK :shrug:
the footage Ive taken of birds looks great:)

Back