5Dmk3 back dial not working - how to reset exp comp?

Edit My Images
Yes
My 5D3 got very wet in the snow this morning, and now the back dial has stopped working. I've had it sat next to the dehumidifier all day, but no joy as yet. The thing is I have a wedding to shoot next weekend, so won't have time to get it repaired. I can manage most functions without the back dial. However, I've got +2/3 stops of exp comp set, and can't work out how to reset it. I realise I could do a full factory reset by taking out both batteries, but don't really want to lose all the custom settings and not be able to set them again. Any suggestions how else to reset the exp comp?

Also any recommendations for a repairer? It was a grey import from HDEW in 2013

Last edited:
Why would you not be able to set up your own custom settings again? If doing a factory reset fixes the problem then a voila. If it doesn't, you've lost nothing, your back to square one.

Last edited:
Why would you not be able to set up your own custom settings again? If doing a factory reset fixes the problem then a voila. If it doesn't, you've lost nothing, your back to square one.

If all he has done is accidently locked the wheel then no factory reset needed and a factory reset will not "fix" that, it requires user intervention....................but if there is actually water ingress that has affected the functionality I wonder if a factory reset will remedy his issue.

I look forward to knowing if the problem is as simple as the 'lock switch' having been moved.

PS as snow is not salt water and as he says he has tried to dry out as best he can there is (fingers crossed) unlikely to be any long term harm.

FWIW

I have never used the lock function so had to look up its setting and function.

From the manual:-
Page 47 ~ when locked the letter L is displayed in the viewfinder display & the LCD panel

Page 325 ~ the lock is actually a Multi Function Lock and can lock (by choice ~ this list appears to be the default, so the OP may have custom set this) the Main Dial, Rear Quick Control Dial & the Multi-Controller.

The custom function to setup how the lock behaves is C.Fn2: Disp./Operation

Last edited:
Can you temporarily assign exp comp to a different dial, reset and reassign.

That said, my guess is the dial will be fine by the weekend.

Can you temporarily assign exp comp to a different dial, reset and reassign.

That said, my guess is the dial will be fine by the weekend.
I've had a look and although you can reassign the quick control (back) dial's function in M mode, in the semi-automatic modes, where adjusting exposure compensation comes into play, the main (front) dial always controls the primary input, and the back dial provides the compensation adjustment, and can't be swapped.

Even if the back dial isn't working, you can still access all the custom functions using the multi function toggle above the back dial.

However, I'm sure it'll all be ok by the weekend [emoji6]

Thanks for the replies. Sadly the dial still hasn't started working, so I've just done the big battery-out reset.
Good news: Exp comp is now back at 0.
Bad news: I now can't turn off JPEG images. I've also just realised I'm stuck in noisy single-shot drive mode.

I should be able to muddle through at the wedding with this and my 60D. (BTW I'm not a pro; just doing a favour. They may get what they paid for!)

Thanks for the replies. Sadly the dial still hasn't started working, so I've just done the big battery-out reset.
Good news: Exp comp is now back at 0.
Bad news: I now can't turn off JPEG images. I've also just realised I'm stuck in noisy single-shot drive mode.

I should be able to muddle through at the wedding with this and my 60D. (BTW I'm not a pro; just doing a favour. They may get what they paid for!)
You can use the Q button with the multi function toggle and the main dial to change the drive and AF modes.

Last edited:
You can use the Q button with the multi function toggle and the main dial to change the drive and AF modes.
Thank you!

So any advice on repairers? As it happens I'll be working round the corner from Fixation next week, so they are looking like favourites unless anyone says "don't do it!"

Back