5DmkII Video Playback Problems

Name
David Bridges
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi all,

I've tried testing out the video function on my 5D and it works fine when playing back on the camera but as soon as I try and open the files on my computer they just don't work. They are .MOV files so Quicktime decided it wanted to be the default player but all I could get from the file is a short clip of sounds from the start of the footage with the first frame shot frozen on the screen. I decided to try and use VLC media player and it is slightly better as I sometime get 2 frames that stagger between eachother and a bit of broken up sound. I've got an old Sony VAIO which probally isn't powerful enough but is there anything I can try and do to play videos or should I just render the video function on the 5D as totally useless.

Thanks

Dave

It could be the codec, do Canon not provide a codec (possibly installed as a driver?) for the camera.
Could you take another small sample, and email it? To see whether others can read it?

hmm I have no problems with mine...but as you say you have an old laptop, it can be source of a problem with lack of power to proccess video..remember its 1900x1200 resolution and on slower PC's it makes problems..

I think its 512mb of RAM which sucks, I've decided to scrap doing full HD 1900 x 1200 and do the lower res shooting as the files are readable by all the programs

Hi Dave,

The video mode on the 5D is as you say in .MOV format which is an Apple Mac format and unfortunately it is not totally suited to a Windows PC environment.

You are also right that an "elderly" Sony Vaio PC (I have the same) is not going to have enough processing power to smoothly process the files either for playback or editing.

What you need to do is to convert the Mov files to a format acceptable to a Windows PC - i.e. AVI format.

- I have experimented with several free video converters such as Super, Avidemux, Bink RAD Video tools which then allowed me to edit the movie using Pinnacle Studio, but have not as yet decided on the optimum route.

I did read on another forum about a better solution - I have not tried this out as I am in the process of upgrading my PC which may assist, but I have repeated the posting here:

I finally found out the reason, quite simple: Our Canon 5D Mark II raw 1080p video files can't be played smoothly on our PC's natively, end of story (Mac Pro users with Final Cut Studio, hush up, we know you can. ). Well, one exception for smooth viewing for PC folks is the shareware viewer VLC, but the video quality it emits is a bit pixelated, and you STILL can't edit the video in Premiere.

THE ANSWER: You simply need to have a magic tool that converts the 5D2's .MOV files to an even-higher quality .AVI file that not only plays gorgeous and smooth in Windows Media Player, but also can be edited in Premiere the way it should have been to begin with. And this amazing tool that converts the 5D2 video should also make the video look even BETTER, more cinema-quality, right?

So where is this magic tool, and what does it cost? It's called NeoScene by Cineform (once the page opens, click on the NeoScene link on the left).

You open your 5D2 file in this software and convert it to AVI, and you're DONE. The new AVI is totally viewable and editable, even in Premiere Elements.

I bought it last Wednesday and tried it out last night, and was amazed. I have a 2006 Dell Laptop with an older 2.0 gHz Core2Duo, and it worked great. The cost for NeoScene on the Cineform site is $129, but you can buy it for $99 from VideoGuys.com (I got another $10 being a first-time customer too!). They send you a download link the next day via email.

IMPORTANT NOTE: NeoScene adds info to the video file to increase image quality, so the AVI file size is larger than your original 5D2 file. For example, I converted a 250MB 5D2 file and ended up with about a 400MB AVI file once it was done, so hard drive space is needed (we need it anyway with video... I'll probably have to have 3TB soon enough).

Anyway, last month I started building this mega-gamer PC thinking that was the only way to work with the 5D2 video (and it'll be a great rig to edit on once I'm done, no doubt), but it's clear now that NeoScene is as important to 5D2 owners as is a lens on the camera, if you want to work with HD video. You probably don't need to build a Saturn V PC, a decent dual-core PC with at least 2GB ram should work just fine!

Final thought for video buffs: NeoScene can't convert the 5D2's 30p video down to 24p. The website says NeoScene does do 24p conversions, and that's true, but not from the 5D2's 30p format. (Hey Canon!! We still need you to include 24p in the next firmware upgrade!!)

There are several forums dedicated to the 5D - the above was reported on the Planet5D forums under the topic Stuttering Video Playback - in Video Editing / Windows Editing. The link is:

http://forum.planet5d.com/index.php

I also tried Canon's supplied software, but not with much success - I would hope that Canon and the other major video editing software manufacturers will bring out a fix to enable the video from the 5D to be editable more easily than currently is the case for Windows PC users, but it is possible and I have seen some excellent examples of video's shot on the 5D II.

Its a compromise that we have to add in another processing step to convert the files first - Good luck, persevere, the results are worth it.

Ive solved my problem, downloaded a program called Pazera MOV to AVI converter and the AVI's work fine in HD aswell :)

Back