5Ds R Portraits

I don't get why people think the best way to show off a new 50mp body and (presumably what its capable of)- is to reduce a very average snap to 0.7mp. Yep, I can tell lots from that

No worries, you posted a shot that's not representative of your work. Why, I don't know! The bird shots are great, I like the one of the female boxer too.

Regarding the first image there are some technical aspects you may want to explore or experiment with. Direct sunlight around mid day for a portrait, isn't a great idea without some way of reducing the harsh shadows you get (under the eyes for example). Use flash to fill or a reflector to reduce the effect. Read up on portrait photography and this is usually covered in the first paragraph...

The second point is the dog is out of focus, narrow the aperture to get both the dog and woman in sharp focus.

Composition isn't...well...all that great. The woman's face and the dog are the focal points, so you don't really need her lower half or the amount of space around them (ok it's a waterfall but it isn't Victoria Falls or Niagra Falls is it?). Shoot closer, use the rule of thirds and fill the frame with the interesting part (her face and the dog) - even if this means chopping off the top of her head.

Maybe portraits is something new to you? You can clearly get a well exposed, sharp shot judging from the second image you posted and others on Flickr....with portraits though some would say that's the easy bit - seeing and composing the shot, suitable DoF, how to crop/frame it take a bit of research and practice.

Keep posting, would be great to see some more of your work.

Back