5ghz Wireless repeater

Mr Bump

From under the bridge
Name
Paul
Edit My Images
Yes
I'm looking for suggestion for a wireless repeater/router to create a separate (completely) 5ghz only wirless network in the house.
I want to run just a few devices off it.

ideally one that takes a 1gb Ethernet cable and then creates the wireless LAN

I have a tplink one that does both bands. Think that will create a new one. https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01N4I3YOB/

Seems pretty good so far.

yeah that is not what I am looking for though, I want a router to plug into my 1gb switch and then create the wireless network, not a wireless to wirlesss bridge if that makes sense.

basically I have 3 devices in my house I want to use solely for PLEX streams and they will just be connected to this 5gz wireless lan.

It does both. It has an ethernet port on it.

Built-in Access Point Mode
RE305 is more than a wireless range extender. Simply plug the Ethernet cable into its Ethernet port to easily turn your wired internet connection into a dual band wireless access point.

Last edited:
It does both. It has an ethernet port on it.

I think the Ethernet ports are for connecting a local device in though?
They cannot be used to connect to a switch and take data?
I have a few of those as well.

Ethernet Bridge
The RE305’s single Ethernet port allows the Extender to function as a wireless adapter to connect wired devices like Blu-ray players, gaming consoles, DVRs and Internet TVs. At the same time, the device can share the wireless network as well.

Sounds like you need to get a full on wireless router to do what you want maybe. I would have thought it would take a switch and then that could be plugged into the ethernet port. It doesn't seem to suggest you can only have one device eg a DVD player. It lists out several things. If they're all heavy use then it may not be up to doing that and you'd need one with a gigabit switch in it.

Ethernet Bridge
The RE305’s single Ethernet port allows the Extender to function as a wireless adapter to connect wired devices like Blu-ray players, gaming consoles, DVRs and Internet TVs. At the same time, the device can share the wireless network as well.

Sounds like you need to get a full on wireless router to do what you want maybe. I would have thought it would take a switch and then that could be plugged into the ethernet port. It doesn't seem to suggest you can only have one device eg a DVD player. It lists out several things. If they're all heavy use then it may not be up to doing that and you'd need one with a gigabit switch in it.

yeah I think so, I have a few similar devices myself that I don't use any more I might see if they can do that as well.

I think the Ethernet ports are for connecting a local device in though?
They cannot be used to connect to a switch and take data?
I have a few of those as well.
No, Suz's description clearly says it can be a wireless access point which is what you want. I use a Netgear EX6150 as an access point to do the same job.
The TP-Link device you've now found will also do what you want but not as neatly.

Last edited:
No, Suz's description clearly says it can be a wireless access point which is what you want. I use a Netgear EX6150 as an access point to do the same job.
The TP-Link device you've now found will also do what you want but not as neatly.

Yes I understand what you are saying I am an IT geek myself of over 30 years. But the product description does does not describe if the access point mode can be initiated from the Ethernet port connection.
It seems to infer it connects to an existing wireless device and initiates an access point, if you can confirm you have it running from the Ethernet port providing a separate 5ghz wireless l would appreciate it.

this buried in the blurb does seem to support it

Built-in access point mode easily turn your wired internet connection into a dual band wireless access point

Last edited:
Yes, I have the EX6150 wired to the router to give me high-speed 5GHz access for my Ultrabook.
Only 30 years? ;)

Sounds like you just want an access point rather than a repeater. Depending on model that should let you set your own SSID, any required dhcp or pass through etc.

Not up to date on current consumer options, but I would always go tplink over Netgear personally.

I got the TP-link in and sorted and connected it to my 1gb switch, I created a separated wireless network on it at 5ghz just for the Samsung TV and it worked a treat, very fast.

Back