$60,000 for stolen photograph the facts.

I've just been watching that.
It's interesting because through Pixsy, I've found that one of my images has been used in product images of a TV.
Edit, I've just found the payment that I got through Flickr Marketplace of a whopping $32! At least I assume this was it.

Last edited:
Couldn't get more than half way through that because of Chelsea's inane comments - Was it a reasonable outcome?

Couldn't get more than half way through that because of Chelsea's inane comments - Was it a reasonable outcome?
Fair point, I skipped through a few bits.

Lawyers fees took $40k, then the middle-man took $10k, leaving them with $10k. Then due to the fact this is all Australian dollars, the currency conversion left them with around 7,000 USD.

It was a total bungle from the infringers end. They were stupid and ignorant of copyright law, tried to get heavy with lawyers, and tried to lie their way out of it. Wrong, wrong and wrong. It could so easily have been avoided in the first place, or sorted with an apology and a modest payment, but it cost them $60k of which the Northrup's received only a tiny fraction.

I think the lawyers should bear a big responsibility for the way it was handled and the huge cost to their client. They will have been fully aware that it was a slam-dunk case but pressed on to court knowing they'd get paid regardless. That's the real take-away for me - don't get legal, it's an unbelievable load of hassle and grief, the costs ramp up quickly and dramatically, and international copyright law can be a bit of a grey area these days.

Back