600 EX-RT from US? Any issues?

Edit My Images
Yes
I've going to the US over Easter and I've been thinking of upgrading my speedlite for a while.

I currently have an old 430EX on my Canon 70D. The 600 EX-RT seems like the best upgrade but a few opinions would be good? Am I right in saying that the 600EX mounted on-camera will be able to fire the 430EX mounted off-camera?

Are there likely to be any issues with getting a unit from the US? I assume the power/voltage/etc is all fully compatible?

Or am I better just buying it from Panamoz?

The 600EX-RT can trigger your 430EX when it's used in optical mode and a US purchased unit will be the same as one bought anywhere else.

Bob

If I wanted to trigger the 430EX wirelessly, what are the best options?

Can the 70D and /or the 600EX-RT act as a transmitter so I just need to buy a receive or do I need a pair of transmitters/receivers?

If you wish to trigger the 430EX from the camera via a radio signal then Yes you will need a transmitter and a receiver. If you wish to trigger the 430EX from the camera optically, the EX600-RT already has the ability built in to do this.

The 70D can be used as a master so can trigger the 430EX and the EX600 as optical slaves off camera using its on board flash.

Hope this helps

Last edited:
Every time I've looked to buy electronics or photographic equipment in the US the savings, if any, have been minimal.

Price at B&H and Adorama is currently 499 USD which is around 335 GBP.
Price on Amazon is 346.90 GBP.
Price on Panamoz is 345 GBP.

So at first glance, prices seem very similar. If you're going to buy in the States, to achieve a significant benefit you need to find a 600ex-rt on sale somewhere. Trawl the internet and find your deal before you travel and build your shopping trip into your itinerary.

In contrast, I bought 600EX-RT's from Hong Kong based outfits camerainthepost.com and e-infin.com. Current prices are 289 GBP and 275 GBP respectively.

I got billed by DHL for customs charges for one of those, but still came out well ahead.

So without the customs risk Panamoz is the best bet still? Seems to be under £330 for bank transfer.

Cheers :)

The Amazon price of £346.90 also qualifies for £55 Canon Spring Cashback at the moment bringing down to £291.90.

Bob

Sell 430EX, buy yongnuo 600EX-RT for almost same price then add their cheap ST-E3... in addition to a proper canon 600EX. That will get you well on the way to strobe lighting. Optical triggering only works reliably indoors and I presume you want to play the 600EX to its strong side.

Back