Beginner 600D + YN-565EX II TTL

Edit My Images
Yes
Hi guys,

This is probably a very silly question, not then I'm told there aren't any.

Anyway, I have a 600D that is all the camera I'm going to need for the foreseeable future, but I've decided is like a proper flash.

I've been recommended Yongnuo, and the 565EX II TTL seems perfect for my purely amateur needs.

My question is, when using the flash off camera, does the on board flash have to fire, in order to trigger the off camera flash?
Or can the off camera flash be triggered without the on board flash firing?

I'm under the impression that the onboard flash has to fire to trigger the off camera flash.

Thanks in advance.

Yes the onboard flash has to fire for it to work. This is optically controlled so you can't put the flash out of sight. The onboard flash wont add anything to the light.
The other way and best way is to buy some triggers.

Thankyou for the quick response. I suppose I'll have to get one bought and just start playing around with it.

Thanks again.

I would invest a bit more for a yn600exrt if I were you.

It has quite a few advantages over a 565, geting you a foothold into Canons RT system if you decide to get serious.

The camera will always fire a flash in E-TTL mode, or several flashes. It uses light-code to control remote/slave guns, so in master mode it will fire both a pre-flash for exposure metering, and multiple Morse Code like instructions to remote/slaves. All this happens at incredible speed, after the shutter release is pressed but before the shutter actually opens - so fast that to the eye it all looks like one flash. You can adjust the pop-up to either contribute a main flash to the overall exposure, or not. However, even when the pop-up is set not to contribute, it will still fire a very low power flash during the exposure and you may see this reflected as a tiny specula highlight in shiny objects, but it won't influence the overall image.

Thankyou very much for the very clear explanation Hoppy.

And thankyou Kris, I shall look into the model you suggested.

Back