600EX RT II ETTL over-exposure problem

Name
Simon
Edit My Images
No
I've got an issue that happens sporadically. With my camera set to manual exposure, exposing for ambient light and using on-camera bounce flash in ETTL mode to lift shadows as I move around the room at an event, I find sometimes that the flash goes bonkers and seems chuck it out at full power, wildly over-exposing the subjects in the shot. this can happen repeatedly until I either switch the flash unit off/on again, or take it off the hotshoe and replace it again, or both. I know it isn't my camera settings, composition/subject distance or a change in ambient light that's causing this, as after the flash appears to have righted itself I can replicate exactly the over-exposed shot I was attempting to take, but this time correctly exposed, without changing any of those variables. As I said, it doesn't happen often, but it's a bit weird. Do I simply put it down to being a vagary of Canon's hit-and-miss ETTL flash technology?

Last edited:
Strikes me as a communication issue.

Not ‘common’ but nor is it rare for 3rd party Canon flashes. Other than seeing if something looks odd, I’m not sure what to advise.

Flickering lights at the venue perhaps? Did you try with anti flicker on?

Flickering lights at the venue perhaps? Did you try with anti flicker on?
I'm using a 5D3, which I don't think has anti flicker... Or does it?

Strikes me as a communication issue.

... As in something like dirt on the hotshoe stopping the contact points making a proper connection? Could give them a clean I suppose.

I'm using a 5D3, which I don't think has anti flicker... Or does it?

great camera....anti flickr came with the 4 though....

do you have the chance to try a different flash unit to see if that is at fault?

otherwise take more frames.....

I've had this with the Mk1 600ex, the first time it was a couple on those old mirrored rotating balls that hang from the ceiling. I think I was just catching the odd reflection from the small square mirrors on the ball and it was throwing the flash off! The second time was recently and very similar, the fashion for younger women just now seems to be metallic dresses..........same issue, once they move slightly the reflection changes and throws the flash out. Going to try centre weighted metering next time.

iv'e had the same thing but with a 3rd party flash ( not canon ) and it's definitely a communication problem
re seating the flash on the hot shoe usually cured it
Yeah I'm beginning to think it must have something to do with it. I'll give the points a clean with an alcohol solution wait to see if it happens again (y)

I'd be interested at looking at the raw file next time.....a deep look into the EXIF might throw up some clues.

I've had this happen & it's usually because the flash wasn't fully mounted on the camera. Make sure it's slid all the way on before locking it. It's easily done if you're in a rush.

Back