600mm best (cost effective) option for Canon

It's taken 40 posts but as usual with these threads we've went from spending a couple of grand-ish to nearer seven or eight grand :)

Can you rent out the 300 somewhere?, then you will know what its capable of. Try it for a day or if any members were close to you, arrange a day out and try.

Failing that , if you are ever in Ireland , you could borrow mine. LOL

Hi Robin,
The MFD on the Canon 300mm f/2.8 Mk2 lens is only 2m - so you won't frighten those butterflies or Dragons ;)

Russ

....Cheers, Russ :)

My Canon 300mm F/4 L IS (now sold) was perfect for Butterflies and Dragonflies but not the smaller Damselflies - MFD was ~1.5m.

But my Canon 100-400mm L II's MFD is ~1m, although gives better quality results when zoom is 300mm when that close. The Canon 1.4x III helps too.

Either the Canon 300mm F/2.8 L or 400mm L DO is a good call in my opinion.

Each of these discussed Canon lenses has something very good to offer.

The other options are (using camerpricebuster pricing , would anybody buy one of these Grey?)

300 2.8 x 2 = 600 5.6 £4900
400 DO x 1.4 = 560 5.6 £7300
400 2.8 x 2 = 800 5.6 £7700 (does this take converters well?)
500 4 x 1.4 = 700 5.6 £7100

....For the first time and after very careful consideration, I bought 'Grey' for my new Canon 100-400mm L II and have since also bought a Canon Battery Grip for my 7D2 from the same 'Grey' seller HDEW.

I would have no hesitation buying from HDEW again. ALL Canon products are imported to UK whoever the retailer is. Unlike most other 'Grey' sellersHDEW have UK premises you can visit and were once on the high street many years ago. There are no small-print get-out clauses making you responsible for further payments such as vat for example and you get a 3-year warranty with first year being Canon direct.

....For the first time and after very careful consideration, I bought 'Grey' for my new Canon 100-400mm L II and have since also bought a Canon Battery Grip for my 7D2 from the same 'Grey' seller HDEW.

I would have no hesitation buying from HDEW again. ALL Canon products are imported to UK whoever the retailer is. Unlike most other 'Grey' sellersHDEW have UK premises you can visit and were once on the high street many years ago. There are no small-print get-out clauses making you responsible for further payments such as vat for example and you get a 3-year warranty with first year being Canon direct.

I also have heard good things about HDEW, unfortunately they don't sell the big lenses.

There's a 400mm f2.8L IS II in the classifieds for a very reasonable £5,500. Add 1.4x and 2x extenders and you've got a great set up.

@Neil B Having now seen your excellent images on Flickr you will be horrified to know that I am now stalking Following you.

@RedRobin
As you're aware i only ever comment or give IMHO on people that would gain from it, one thing i will say more than any spending of big £'s on kit is networking and getting good contacts.
I'm still on the fast glass and couldn't go back to F4 but that comes at a price that many people can't justify the extra cost, one thing that is a plus is the resale side of things, no problems selling high end quality kit and getting good money back if needed.
I'm a 45+hrs a week working man so putting £5k-6k into camera gear is no easy choice.

Contact them and tell them what you are after. They do get stuff in for you.

They don't supply it I checked.

There's a 400mm f2.8L IS II in the classifieds for a very reasonable £5,500. Add 1.4x and 2x extenders and you've got a great set up.

I will have a look, thanks

300 2.8 Mkii with a 1..4 and 2x due to be delivered tomorrow....

Thank you all for helping me spend too much....

Spend a little time fine tuning it if needed, you won't be disappointed that's for sure and the no3 image stabilizer setting is fantastic.

hi what do you think so far, i know its early days but no 1 looks like a real good start?

hi what do you think so far, i know its early days but no 1 looks like a real good start?

Hard to say so far tbh.. Longer reach than my 100-400 MK1 but I am not convinced yet it is that much sharper, I have micro adjusted that and it did make a big difference.

The lens is heavier and slightly less manageable due to the size of hood etc.. (in a hide)

Focus is smooth and fast but hard to get right at 600 with smallish subjects

The lens does appear to be able to resolve quite some detail

So all in all my view would be:- I need to learn to use it properly

Could you stretch to a 400mm f2.8. The daddy of the big primes
No,same weight as my 500 Steve, need to downsize, my shoulders are knackered and getting worse.

Plus...it is 10 grand.

There was one going used on here for a little over £5k. But yes, it looked bloody massive. Good luck with your downsizing.
Got a trip to North Uist in June, then will probably sell the 500,D800 and gimbal head/tripod. I tend to use my 300 F4 and 1.4 for most things now.

Got a trip to North Uist in June, then will probably sell the 500,D800 and gimbal head/tripod. I tend to use my 300 F4 and 1.4 for most things now.

300f4 1.4 and d750. Lighter rig for sure. Just hope you don't miss the 500 and the d800 which we both agree is a belting body.

Hope you get the birds you want in Uist. Don't forget to try some landscapes

Just as a matter of interest never seem to see much mention of Nikons 200-400 f4 zoom lens. 300 gms heavier than 300+1.4 and seems to get good reviews. Only ever seen one on a Nikon camera

Just as a matter of interest never seem to see much mention of Nikons 200-400 f4 zoom lens. 300 gms heavier than 300+1.4 and seems to get good reviews. Only ever seen one on a Nikon camera
A good mate of mine has one, he is lending it to me for Uist. But it seems like a good lens.Will know better after that................hmmmmmmm......that has me thinking now.......wonder if he would do a swap..........

Hey folks,

A quick update.

Since getting out with the lens for the first time, I haven't had a chance to get out an play :(

I did spend quite a few hours on Thursday Micro adjusting the lens + converters on my 2 camera bodies.

The lens itself came up as 0 on both bodies but the converters needed some adjustment.

Looking forward to getting out with it at some point, but it won't be this weekend as I am hitting Brick Lane tomorrow as part of a TP meet doing street.

Cheers all

Don't forget to try some landscapes

I`m crap at landscape Steve, I just don`t seem to have the eye for it, But i`ll see what I can come up with.

I`m crap at landscape Steve, I just don`t seem to have the eye for it, But i`ll see what I can come up with.

You're going to a beautiful part of the world, you cannot go wrong. Pop by my website blogs and galleries in my signature, see if you can draw inspiration from it.

Trick is to balance exposure between sky and foreground, but lighting is all about the ar5e end of the day

You're going to a beautiful part of the world, you cannot go wrong. Pop by my website blogs and galleries in my signature, see if you can draw inspiration from it.

Trick is to balance exposure between sky and foreground, but lighting is all about the ar5e end of the day
I`ll have a gander at your stuff , I always look through the landscape section on here and am amazed at some of the shots.

I think i`ll take my filters with me, if I can find them .......:D

Reactions: ST4
Hey folks,

A quick update.

Since getting out with the lens for the first time, I haven't had a chance to get out an play :(

I did spend quite a few hours on Thursday Micro adjusting the lens + converters on my 2 camera bodies.

The lens itself came up as 0 on both bodies but the converters needed some adjustment.

Looking forward to getting out with it at some point, but it won't be this weekend as I am hitting Brick Lane tomorrow as part of a TP meet doing street.

Cheers all

Well seeing as this is your thread and the other two seem to be chumming each other :hug: o_O
Take some time to get used too it Martin, i do find it the best lens i've ever used for BIF and works perfect with the 7Dmk2 but as you say +5 MAF for converters makes a huge difference.

This hasn't helped me, I now want 400 2.8, I thought I was almost sorted with the 5.6 or possibly get siggy 150-600

just want to say I have a Minolta 300.2.8 and also a sigma 150-500, and the sigma can not be compared on any level to the 300 prime if you go that root you will spend twice and regret it in my opinion

This hasn't helped me, I now want 400 2.8, I thought I was almost sorted with the 5.6 or possibly get siggy 150-600

The sigma is much heavier and more unwieldy and I don't think as sharp as this combination.

The 400 2.8 I am not sure takes converters as well as the 300 and is significantly heavier.

I am pleased at how the 300 takes a 2x (once micro adjusted) and how sharp these images are, as well as how easily manageable it is without a tripod or monopod.

I still need to learn how to pan properly at 600 as it it pretty hard, I may find that BIF is easier/better with the 300 and 1.4x due to the sheer amount of travel you create when moving a 600 :)

Cheers

Martin

I have to be honest, the 300 is looking more likely, I don't think I would ever be able to justify (let alone afford) the 400 2.8

Back