60D or 7D?

Rebel t3i said:
imo the sd cards are used due to their small size for these smaller cameras

No not really, xxxd bodies such as the 300d, 350d and 400d are all a lot smaller than the 60d and comfortably handled CF cards.

SD cards are cards consumers own, they might own them for other devices, which is why Canon had put them in their consumer level bodies, hense why some think the 60d is Canon's "dumbing down" of the xxd range.

Last edited:
It's probably not a drop in build quality as such. It could well be built just as well as a 7D.

What people notice are that they've used different materials, it feels different, the controls are different and it's a different weight. People perceive this as build quality but in reality it probably has nothing to do with build quality. In reality what is generally perceived by many as build quality can from a fit for purpose, reliability and actual build quality point of view be nothing to do with build quality and could actually be a step backwards.

I've said this before... 30 years ago I was fixing industrial stuff that was made of "plastic" and you could sit and hit it with a hammer all day long until your arm fell off. There's nothing wrong with choosing a material that's fit for purpose even if it isn't sexy manly magnesium.

Last edited:
Save some cash and get a 5D classic imo, other than a few specific circumstances like AF, FPS, I can't imagine why anyone would prefer a crop over a FF, especially a FF like the 5D that produces exceptionally sharp images and pretty good low noise, at least allot lower than the 7D, it's not like 18mp vs 12mp will make a difference either, considering that the 5D file is a considerable amount better to begin with and will scale up well.

It's probably not a drop in build quality as such. It could well be built just as well as a 7D.

What people notice are that they've used different materials, it feels different, the controls are different and it's a different weight. People perceive this as build quality but in reality it probably has nothing to do with build quality. In reality what is generally perceived by many as build quality can from a fit for purpose, reliability and actual build quality point of view be nothing to do with build quality and could actually be a step backwards.

I've said this before... 30 years ago I was fixing industrial stuff that was made of "plastic" and you could sit and hit it with a hammer all day long until your arm fell off. There's nothing wrong with choosing a material that's fit for purpose even if it isn't sexy manly magnesium.

Polycarbonate is extremely strong at resisting impact damage, however it's not very stiff, which would likely make it very hard to weather seal, hence that might be the reason Nikon braced the D7K with Mag-alloy, which has extremely good weather sealing (could happily leave it out in heavy rain all night/day), strangely however, other reports I'v seen indicate the 7D isn't very weather sealed, with rain fairly easily being able to mess up (temporarily) the wheel on the back.
There are some real fundamental benefit's to using polycarbonate, but the main one is obviously cost, which I'm sure was Canon's main priority with the 60D.
As for controls, I hear the 7D'd wheels is allot nicer to use than what is on the 60D.

Personally though out of the two, considering the large price difference, and reports that the 60D may have had some tweaked AF performance in terms of accuracy/consistency, I would opt for the 60D, with a view to upgrade to a 5D3 or 7Dii down the road.

MomentCapture said:
Save some cash and get a 5D classic imo, other than a few specific circumstances like AF, FPS, I can't imagine why anyone would prefer a crop over a FF, especially a FF like the 5D that produces exceptionally sharp images and pretty good low noise, at least allot lower than the 7D, it's not like 18mp vs 12mp will make a difference either, considering that the 5D file is a considerable amount better to begin with and will scale up well.

I'm waIting for a 5dmk3. I need a ff with the 7d AF

Last edited:
Rebel t3i said:
It is current on their web site one would have thought the news would be current not old
didn't read it all spotted it last night and skip read it

Comments made are from march this year

Wow...thanks for all the comments! I've been off line for a few days, so apologies for the late response.

I do want/need the fast frame rate, accurate focusing etc that comes with the 7D and as I have loads of CF cards, I have decided thats the one to get. Just need a reasonably priced source now.

Thanks again.

Aren't they based in HK? Which means it'll be a grey import and not a UK body?

That's true but is there any difference? They are pretty much three hundred quid cheaper than most UK suppliers at the moment and that is significant wedge and i suppose it depends what you make of this:

"For website's purchases, you will receive DigitalRev's 12 month local warranty. All website purchase comes with a 12 months Locally Serviced Warranty which allows you to repair your camera locally at an Authorised Repair Centre (Canon, Nikon, Sony, Panasonic, etc.) without prior approval provided that the fault is due to manufacture defect

You can find out more details at http://www.digitalrev.com/en/digital...2-article.html"

Back