6D faulty LCD repair

Name
Henry
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi, not sure if this is the right forum to post in...anyway here goes.

I''ve just aquired a Canon 6D in great condition and functional to the point that I can take (nice!) pictures with it.

HOWEVER, the rear LCD screen is blank and displays no info. The top LCD is fully functional and using buttons/EOS utility I can set most of the important settings.

Fortunately the camera is set to capture RAW so easy to make adjustments in PP software.

It would be nice to have the LCD working so that I can get instant feedback on what I've just snapped etc.

I've tried most things to get the LCD to come on with no success, I've not taken out the clock battery as believe that to be deep in the internals, unlike much older Canons I've owned.

Suppose that just leaves replacing the rear LCD, I've seen the iFixit guide and it doesn't seem to difficult to do.

Wonder if anyone has attempted something similar or stripped down their 6D, was it easy, anything to watch out for.

If I have a go, I can source a replacement LCD on eBay, and come unstuck, can you recommend a CHEAP repairer, I can't afford to send it to Canon or similar.

Thanks

You may have already confirmed that it's definitely a faulty LCD but just in case you haven't........

Connect a monitor/TV to the HDMI output port of the camera and see if the menu functions display via the external monitor....it be a shame to replace the LCD and find that it's the driver that's faulty.

Bob

Wow, never thought of that!

Have got a Live View output via USB port to laptop using EOS utility, presumably what I'm seeing is output directly off the sensor and not from LCD module?

If I connect a mini HDMI lead to the HDMI port I should get an output on TV showing Menu etc if LCD driver part is functional?

If no Menu etc displayed via HDMI output then I have at least a faulty driver board?

I've just ordered a mini HDMI to HDMI lead on Amazon, to be here on Monday and will report what outputs I get.

Many thanks Bob, good thinking!

LP

I don't pretend to know where the video is generated but if you don't see anything on a monitor then it's odds on that the problem lies deeper into the system than the rear screen.

If the monitor shows the menus then you can at least do some customising whilst you plan what to do next.

Last edited:
Hi Guys

Slight update on this.

My mini HDMI to HDMI lead came today and I was able to try it out with the 6D.

I was able to get a Menu display on my monitor and change settings using buttons on the camera body. Can also confirm that Info, Q etc buttons produced appropriate displays on the monitor.

So to summarise, the 6D is fully responsive and functional other than that I don't have any display on the rear LCD. Hoping this means that nothing too serious i.e. main PCB, needs to be replaced, just some rear LCD and or driver parts need replacement.

I've seen Youtubes/Ifixits re rear LCD display repair/replacement, but not sure whether my blank LCD is due to 1. Faulty LCD, 2. Faulty LCD backlight or 3. Faulty LCD driver so not sure what to buy on eBay or wherever to repair the 6D.

Any comments as to how I can further identify the culprit would be appreciated.

Alternatively can anyone suggest a repairer that repairs at reasonable prices.

Thanks
Henry

£25 for the screen, £15 for a refurbished driver board I think if I was going to be having my 6D in bits I'd do the lot. Being a tight a**e I'd probably just use the hdmi to set up a wifi link with my phone instead.

I've seen Youtubes/Ifixits re rear LCD display repair/replacement, but not sure whether my blank LCD is due to 1. Faulty LCD, 2. Faulty LCD backlight or 3. Faulty LCD driver so not sure what to buy on eBay or wherever to repair the 6D.
If you shine a bright light on the LCD when it is displaying the menu, you should be able to make out some of the lines if not the actual text if it's just the backlight.

Probably the ribbon that's cracked tbh

£25 for the screen, £15 for a refurbished driver board I think if I was going to be having my 6D in bits I'd do the lot. Being a tight a**e I'd probably just use the hdmi to set up a wifi link with my phone instead.
Sounds great, £50 and I'm sorted, like that!

Only problem, where to buy at that price - China?

Ebay UK sourced prices considerably more.

Can you post a link to your prices.

Thanks
H

Same search today generates zero results other than Italy and China, items last night were definitely UK as I'd set UK as my default search area.
Sorry if I've mislead or got your hopes up.

Same search today generates zero results other than Italy and China, items last night were definitely UK as I'd set UK as my default search area.
Sorry if I've mislead or got your hopes up.
Same as I've found, been in touch with both eBay sellers and they are still in business and posting. The Italian seller tells me very honestly that his is not in stock and he will need to get it from China first in order to fulfil my order, with 6 weeks time lag. The Chinese seller also takes 6 week, but can expedite to two weeks if I ask for AirMail express at £20 extra, but not certain of exact time lag due corona virus delays. Not sure if cargo flights allowed in from China?

As camera is useable as is will probably take a punt at the China slow boat option, if it takes a while, so be it.

If you shine a bright light on the LCD when it is displaying the menu, you should be able to make out some of the lines if not the actual text if it's just the backlight.

Probably the ribbon that's cracked tbh
Agreed, Canon don't have a great record when it comes to ribbon cables!

Suspect that it's not a DIY repair and will have to buy a complete replacement unit.

UPDATE

Ordered LCD & driver on eBay UK, now here, will try and fit over next few days and post outcomes.

Back