6D or 5D Mark II

Edit My Images
Yes
Hey!

Apologies if something like this has been posted already.

I'm looking to upgrade my camera in the next few months.

Just wanted to get people opinion on which camera would be better, 5D Mark II or 6D. I mainly shot landscapes, usually in low light if that helps.

Get the 6d, better in low light than the 5d - I had the same dilemma last year

6D without question. I have had both and the 6D wins out on all fronts - particularly low light. High ISO performance is excellent with very little noise.

If your shooting landscapes then low light performance should be less of an issue as you should be using a tripod and low ISO! So then for me it comes down to budget I'd rather have a 5d mkii and great glass than a 6d and lesser lenses!

Personally the 5d 2 is still an awesome camera at a really low price point.....budget depending you would have a few hundred £££s left over for glass ... especially with low iso

My thoughts have returned to this same dilemma. Aside from the various functional differences what would those who have used both say about the size, weight and ergonomics of each? I get the feeling that the smaller form and lighter weight of the 6D would suit me better, but what about overall balance when paired up with some of the popular Canon lenses?

I owned both very little difference 5d 2 gives me more confidence with build quality and a few more pro features but like everything it's a personal thing tbh

I can't speak for the 5D2 as I've never had one, but the 6D is a very versatile piece of kit, it's low light handling is better than the 5D2 (so I'm told) but the 5D2 is a step up in terms of features. I've just added a 7D2 to my stable, and I can see me hankering for a 5D3 at some stage as the controls and focussing system are very similar.

If I was doing low light etc would defo go 6d without doubt if I was on a budget would get 5d2 and glass ....

Actual Pro's and Con's
6d
better low light IQ
better low light focussing
built in WiFi
built in GPS
Lighter
Smaller

5dII
Better built
Heavier
Bigger

For a very similar price the 6d is a better camera in every way, unless you want something more rugged, in which case the older camera wins.

If your shooting landscapes then low light performance should be less of an issue as you should be using a tripod and low ISO! So then for me it comes down to budget I'd rather have a 5d mkii and great glass than a 6d and lesser lenses!
I've never shot a landscape with a tripod, lol!

The 6d has better DR and shadow recovery, very useful especially with landscapes.

I owned both very little difference 5d 2 gives me more confidence with build quality and a few more pro features but like everything it's a personal thing tbh
The build quality is identical? If anything, the new sealing template on the 6d is better than the mk2 as it's the same as the 5d3.

The sensor of the 6d is a *lot* better than the 5d2. At high ISO I shoot quite a lot of low light and with the 5d2 I wouldn't go near 3200 ISO, with the 6d I'm happy to go to 10,000 plus should the conditions call for it. Under 800 ISO there's not much in it though.

Last edited:
Once you hold them in your hand I beg to differ..... It's not much but 5d2 feels more solid in the hand.... Like I said I would get a 6d to but if 5d was 200 quid cheaper it would be a toss up depending on needs

Last edited:
Once you hold them in your hand I beg to differ..... It's not much but 5d2 feels more solid in the hand.... Like I said I would get a 6d to but if 5d was 200 quid cheaper it would be a toss up depending on needs

Both felt the same to me, nothing in it (though neither feel as good as my 50d!). The 6d is slightly smaller and slightly lighter which might act as a placebo. But for me the 6d was such a better performer when the conditions get tricky it's a no brainier, especially for only £200 more :)

Last edited:
A nice little debate I've started here, all with very good points. Hearing these points it would seem that the 6D would fit my needs better. I've seen the 6D on Gumtree around £700 body only, which doesnt seem unreasonable, I'd just to have to save for a bit and then even after that wait a bit longer to buy an "L" lens, I do have a 50mm f/1.8 to use for the time being.

Nate, I have a 6D if you want to have a "play" as you're in my neck of the woods.

Here's a late night shot from London taken on the 6D & 24-105.

Big_Ben1200 by Steve Jelly, on Flickr
Nice shot, I may have to take you up on the offer xD

A nice little debate I've started here, all with very good points. Hearing these points it would seem that the 6D would fit my needs better. I've seen the 6D on Gumtree around £700 body only, which doesnt seem unreasonable, I'd just to have to save for a bit and then even after that wait a bit longer to buy an "L" lens, I do have a 50mm f/1.8 to use for the time being.

Personally I wouldn't buy anything off of Gum Tree, it's either a scam or it's stolen......

Nice shot, I may have to take you up on the offer xD

PM me when you fancy having a session. I have a shot that I fancy doing over at Brent Cross one evening, or I can meet you in town as I work in Holborn.

The 5D2 and 6D are both great cameras with the 5D2 still able to hold its own to a degree.
However if to be relied upon for low liggt work then the obvious choice would be the 6D.

I have used both the 5D2 and the 6D for shooting weddings and when flash wasn't in use and light was poor the 5D2 could sometimes struggle with focus.
The 6D however handles low light much better. One of its key features on release was the ability for the cetre focus point to be good down to the equivalent of -3EV (i think).

Ergonomics wise, they are different but in reality its not that noticeable (both weight and feel)

Ideally 5d3 because it is way better than the mk2 or 6D. Between the outsiders it has to be 6D. It is more modern, has better everything except a smaller cheaper feeling body.
How does it feel cheaper?? It's the same build as the 5d3 bar the polycarbonate top plate for the GPS.

Last edited:
How does it feel cheaper?? It's the same build as the 5d3 bar the polycarbonate top plate for the GPS.

It is smaller, worse viewfinder and doesn't have as much weathersealing.

Last edited:
I added a grip to my 6d for very little money and feel that it benefits from a larger bulk.

But then I have chip shovels instead of hands.....

Depends how big your hands are lol
True! I'm somewhere in the middle, which means I can never decide to grip it or not!

The 6d has improved sealing (as I said, same sealing as 5d3), and the viewfinder is the same size (97% coverage, though that has nothing to do with build)!

http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/E5D2/E5D2VIEWFINDER.HTM

The slightly smaller form is an advantage IMO. But if that's an issue add a grip.

Well you may be right regarding the sealing, but viewfinder in 5D is 100% which a huge deal. 5D size is perfect for me; 6D felt painfully small when I tested it, grip or no grip.

Full comparison is done and written up already
https://www.ephotozine.com/article/canon-eos-6d-vs-canon-eos-5d-mark-iii-comparison-21119

Well you may be right regarding the sealing, but viewfinder in 5D is 100% which a huge deal. 5D size is perfect for me; 6D felt painfully small when I tested it, grip or no grip.

Full comparison is done and written up already
https://www.ephotozine.com/article/canon-eos-6d-vs-canon-eos-5d-mark-iii-comparison-21119
It's not 100%, not sure where you're getting that from, the mk2 is spec'd at 98% but it's tested at 97% (either way though the percentiles are almost irrelevant in reality).

The 6d certainly isn't small with the grip, unless you're a giant. A real one.

But You know that comparison you posted s for the mk3 yes?? This thread is about the mk2. We weren't even discussing the mk3.

Last edited:
I think the 6D is better than the 5D2 in just about all departments. Why do people always chip in with a different - usually waaay over budget option? FWIW for what I do the 6D is for me a better option than the double the price 5D3. I'm not bothered about the size and I much prefer saving 300g in weight.

he should get a medium format ;-) lol agreed about the 5d3 being too much..... if op has good glass get the 6d

Totally recommend the 6d over the 5d2; both great cameras, but the newer tech in the 6d will be instantly noticable

Back