6D or 7D Mk2 to the Maldives

Name
Steve
Edit My Images
Yes
I'm off to the Maldives (unless they dissolve into civil war!) in 2 weeks.

Which body would you take? I'm leaning towards the 6D, for it's sl better dynamic range. I reckon I'll be shooting more landscapes than wildlife.

Have a 16-35 f/4, 24-70 f/2.8, 70-200 f/2.8 & 100-400 mk2, may leave the 100-400 behind.

I actually took quite a few of animal pictures when I was there. Beautiful bats (flying foxes), exotic birds, herons, lizards, ...

Still I would take the full frame camera and definitely a long lens.

Last edited:
I'd take both :)

You are taking some decent kit, its hardly ultralight and the cameras can share the same lenses, batteries and SD cards. I'm going to order a full-frame this year and they will be generally going together (with the 7d2).

Last edited:
Would be a real waste to spend several thousand on FF lenses and buy a crop body. No common sense in that to me.

You won't be shooting much wildlife in the Maldives, except fish and stuff if you go snorkeling or diving. And maybe hermit crabs on the beach. You probably won't be shooting much by way of landscapes either, unless you *really* like sand and palm trees. Seascapes, sure, if you have a decent view of the sunrise or sunset, but not landscapes. And if the island you're going to is anywhere like where I went, there won't be much opportunity for astro because the place will be lit up like a Christmas tree after dark.

If I were you I'd take the 6D and 24-70, leave the rest of the SLR kit at home, and pick up a waterproof compact.

You won't be shooting much wildlife in the Maldives, except fish and stuff if you go snorkeling or diving. And maybe hermit crabs on the beach. You probably won't be shooting much by way of landscapes either, unless you *really* like sand and palm trees. Seascapes, sure, if you have a decent view of the sunrise or sunset, but not landscapes. And if the island you're going to is anywhere like where I went, there won't be much opportunity for astro because the place will be lit up like a Christmas tree after dark.

If I were you I'd take the 6D and 24-70, leave the rest of the SLR kit at home, and pick up a waterproof compact.
Thanks Stewart, I have a go pro for snorkelling, reckon I'll leave the 100=400 at home, was hoping for some decent sunsets, we're right on the beach, hope there's not too much light pollution!

Don't forget to check the weight allowance if you're making a seaplane transfer from Male.

Back