6D raw files and OSX

Edit My Images
No
Hi

I'm usually a bit tech savvy when it comes to computers but I'm struggling with getting the photos to show on my computer. I'm using OSX 10.6.8 I like storing my images in iPhoto then editing them in Photoshop. iPhoto doesn't support 6D raw and neither does Photoshop CS5.5. I've downloaded the trial version of CS6 but even that doesn't support the files. I've downloaded the RAW camera update for the 6D but guess what?? My operating system needs to be updated to Lion for it to work.

Has anyone found a way to view and edit 6D raw files?

It's driving me mad!!!

Use the Adobe DNG converter to convert your raw files to .dng.

I think that's the only way you can do it without paying for new software.

Use the Adobe DNG converter to convert your raw files to .dng.

I think that's the only way you can do it without paying for new software.

Yeah I guess, but thats just a bit too much hassle for me. Thanks for the idea though.

I use lightroom, usually handles things ok.

I've tried that too, I've figured out its the OS. It just doesn't support the RAW files for the new 6D and the RAW update that includes the 6D isn't compatible with Snow Leopard.

If you can hold out a couple of month osx mavericks will be on the App Store, and if apple price as norm it'll be under £20. You must remember snow leopard is 3 versions ago now.

I also think you've not given canons DPP a fair crack, it's not photoshop, but can make a very good job of raw conversion.

Last edited:
I've tried that too, I've figured out its the OS. It just doesn't support the RAW files for the new 6D and the RAW update that includes the 6D isn't compatible with Snow Leopard.

6D support has been in Lightroom since Version 4.4. Have you got the right version?

I am a Mac user there's nothing wrong with Mountain Lion (which is worth the upgrade to if only because of the native capabilities).. Fully supported Canon RAW files (7D,6D) are available in the update section of the App Store. If you're using iPhoto/aperture, both the latest versions support it (also available for snow leopard version of OS X)

I'm using Lightroom 4 which is up to date and also supports them, as does Photoshop CS 6.

Seriously though, give DPP a go, it has decent basic post processing functions, it's great and you can batch process to a folder for import to iPhoto.

Last edited:
Back