6x17 Roll film back on 4x5

Name
Mark Walker
Edit My Images
No
While I'm relatively new to the world of large format (4x5), I do like a good pano and I'm considering getting a 6x17 Roll film back for my Shen Hao...

What slightly confuses me is, how you achieve the entire width of 17cm when the back of the camera being exposed is only 5". Does anyone have a 6x17 rollback, is the film even further away from the lens to achieve the full view?

If anyone can provide feedback, I am considering the Shen Hao version (do not want to find out I'm stuck with 6x12). :)

Correct. The Shen Hao specifically moves the film plane back to allow the image circle to cover the 6x17 neg

6x17 is basically a ratio of 1:3

Half a sheet of 5x4 inch film is in cm, 5x12.5, a ratio of 1:2.5 so not the same but still a decent pano format.

I have darkslides cut down to enable two pano shots on each sheet though in my case for 10x8 and 5x7 film formats.

The ´half’ darkslides can be obtained commercially ( additional info available for a small fee :exit::LOL:) or made at home with suitable cutting equipment .

It’s another option to consider not least of all as you will have the option of shooting a full 54 or two panos without having to carry an additional roll film back .

At one time I had a roll film back that offered all differing sizes of formats on a 54 field camera with graflock back but tbh I found it heavy, cumbersome and a Royal pita to use .

The method with a cut down darkslide involves a bit if thinking about when taking the second frame so as not to double expose , however I personally find it much more preferable to a 120 roll film back.

Edit: just remembered the back that I had …. DAYI

It cost me a small fortune to buy new and as mentioned, I was unimpressed by it.

Last edited:
While I'm relatively new to the world of large format (4x5), I do like a good pano and I'm considering getting a 6x17 Roll film back for my Shen Hao...

What slightly confuses me is, how you achieve the entire width of 17cm when the back of the camera being exposed is only 5". Does anyone have a 6x17 rollback, is the film even further away from the lens to achieve the full view?

If anyone can provide feedback, I am considering the Shen Hao version (do not want to find out I'm stuck with 6x12). :)
As per the post above, a 617 holder moves the film plane back by about 30-40mm, to allow for the image circle to cover the full width of the frame, without being clipped by the 4x5 sized opening.

As a result, the minimum bellows extension then increases by the same 30-40mm, meaning that if the current widest lens you can use is a 65mm, that would increase to 95-105mm.

There is an adapter and 6x17 ground glass that fits on the back of the 4x5, it's about 20mm deep to allow the light to spread. This does mean that using wide angle lenses can be a problem as your focus face is now 20mm further back so the front standard would also need to move back 20mm, maybe OK with a 90mm but could struggle with a 75mm.

My widest lens is 90mm so hopefully it should be OK with the 6x17 back. From what I've read on the interweb it should be good for 90-150mm.

My widest lens is 90mm so hopefully it should be OK with the 6x17 back. From what I've read on the interweb it should be good for 90-150mm.

If the info is stating 90-150,the likelihood is that at those two extremes , one will be at the maximum capabilities of the set up.

It may work fine depending on what you’re composing.

If any substantial movements are necessary, you may experience difficulties .

I’m not in any way trying to put you off giving it whirl, it’s just that often figures can be very conservative especially those offered by manufacturers.

Totally agree - I suspect any movement narrows down the choices greatly, but it's now turned up so no turning back :)

Looking forward to giving it a workout, I do prefer the wider 6x17 but 6x12 is also an option if movements are required. I also have to say, it's not as heavy as I expected, saying that I do use a Canon R5 with RF or Sigma ART lenses!

Back