70-200 DX Equiv

Name
Scott
Edit My Images
No
Hi folks, not sure if this is a really daft question so here goes.......i'm using a D7200 and I have most lenses that cover my landscape needs but I would like something with a longer reach for landscape but also something fast in low light for some weddings I have this year! Ideally I would like a 70-200 but is that for FX? What would the equivalent be for DX?

FX lenses will generally work fine on DX bodies, especially the good lenses ... the 70-200 VRI or VRII will be fine, as would the older & cheaper 80-200 f2.8.

Thanks Gramps, need to save some more pennies for the 70-200 [emoji23]

There is no crop equivalent that takes in the 1.5x crop factor. The only equivalent crop to full frame lens I can think of is the 17-55mm f2.8mm which is the equivalent of the 24-70mm f2.8. The older 70-200 f2.8 VR1 works very well on a crop, it uses the centre circle of the lens on crop so its not affected but the soft corners like full frame is.

Never used one, but I like the look of the sigma 50-100 1.8, which is about your 75-150mm equivalent, but with a 1.8.
Hoping to try one at the photoshow next month.

Tokina 50-135 F2.8, had the Pentax version and it was spot on.

Most of the DX lens advantage has gone by 50mm and it entirely has disappeared by 100mm. ( by advantage I mean being able to engineer smaller, lighter lenses) which is why there aren't many longer, faster DX lenses. You still have the issue of engineering those fast constant appertures and the weight that brings.

That said if you can live with the slow speed the Nikon 55-200 DX lens punches well above its weight and the 70-200 f/2.8 VR1 is still a great lens which can be had for a reasonable price

I have the 70-200 vr1 I used to use it on my d7100 and works like a dream

Have a look for a used Sigma 50-150 f2,8 lens. Earlier version without OS seems to be the one to have. The later OS version is very close size wise to a 70-200. I have no personal experience with this lens but when I had a Nikon D7000 it seem to be recommended a few places.

Ffordes have one for sale.

Last edited:
Thanks for the comments guys, really need to add a long lens to my kit for weddings and a bit of landscape stuff [emoji106]

Hi folks, done a bit more research on this and MPB have this lens in a DX but then the same lens in a VR2 for FF, is the only difference that the VR2 has been specifically made for FF?

As far as I know Nikon have only ever made 70-200's in FF. They will also all work on your 70-200 giving 105 - 300 FF equivalent.
What is the MPB description for this lens?

Must just be a typo on the site then, not sure if my budget can stretch to the VR2, is it worth the extra cash?

The VR1 works very well on a crop (DX) camera. It uses the smaller centre circle of the lens so isn't as affected by the softer corners that affects full frame with the VR1, and vignetting as @boyfalldown said. The VR2 solves these problems but introduces focus breathing which I don't really notice when using my VR2. Another option is the 70-200 f4, whilst a stop slower it is very sharp across the frame and much lighter too.

Back