70-200 f2.8 IS or not IS?

Edit My Images
Yes
I've almost got enough shillings to get the 70-200 f2.8 IS, obviously there's quite a difference in cost between the IS and non IS version. I take it the IS is well worth it?

Think I found the IS version for £1100 online, is that a good price?

Dave

I've almost got enough shillings to get the 70-200 f2.8 IS, obviously there's quite a difference in cost between the IS and non IS version. I take it the IS is well worth it?

Think I found the IS version for £1100 online, is that a good price?

Dave

I went for the IS version, so yes, worth it to me.

£1100 sounds too good to be true for that lens. Kerso is cheapest I've ever found for landed in the UK, tax paid, full UK warranty.

Dave I got a 70-200 f2.8 IS off Kerso about 3 weeks ago. I am still learning how to get the best from it but I can say it is well worth it. IS is not always essential but great to have if you need it some time.

Kerso is the only way to go imo. All is totally above board, full UK warranty, replies to all emails, very quick delivery. Can you tell I'm a happy customer?! lol

Andy S

Go for the IS version, it's one of the best lenses you will ever use.

Get the "IS" one, really its an excellent lens. One of my faivs. Hardly ever leaves my camera. Got mine from Kerso as well

4034894147_e6f563245e_o.jpg

(y)

all i can say is that it is my sharpest and most cracking lens. the IS is really an answer you have to find out for yourself. I went for the IS, as I have terrible camera shake and usually shoot in low light.

The IS lets you take silly liberties with shutter speeds, allowing you to get otherwise difficult shots reliably - 1/30 @ 200mm is definitely 'on' with a little care.

-Rob

If you can afford the IS, then I'd say go for it. It's better to have it and not use it than to not have it and suddenly find you DO need it! Sadly I can't even afford the non-IS one yet, but when I can I'll be getting the IS!

I'm going to say non IS version, less parts to go wrong, sharper and cheaper :LOL:

I went for the non IS for those reasons and never regretted it once. If you do have a bit of the shakes then the IS would be better, but any normal person can hand hold a non IS lens with no problams at all.

I think this is relevant ... should the IS be on or off when using a monopod?

ive read that it should be off. i dont really know why

IS - you'll only regreat not going for it one day and decided to upgrade at pain and expense

if you can afford it, you'll never regret it

+ how ever good your handholding skills are there will be times when you're down to 2.8 at 200mm and there still isn't enoungh light to keep the shutter above 1/250 - and there goes your shot

You really need to define 'on a tripod' :D

Most of my shooting is done on a tripod with the camera on a gimbal head, steering the lens around in bren gun fashion and picking off shots. I never turn IS off in that situation as the system picks up more than sufficient tiny movements through your hands in contact wuth the lens/camera to function as it should. Anyone who doubts it should do this simple test - focus on a static target ( With tripod and gimbal) and no matter how still you hold the camera, you'll see just the tiniest shimmy of the subject in the viewfinder, but as soon as the IS kicks in, the image goes rock steady.

On a tripod with the head locked off and using a cable release, where there's no movement to detect is a different matter. Gen2 Canon IS detects the fact that there's no movement and automatically disables the IS system. Earlier Gen 1 IS needs to be switched off in those circumstances as it can cause corrupted images and even damage to the IS system.

Sorry - I just read you said monopod -not tripod. :bonk:

Even more reason to keep IS enabled than on a tripod as a monopod is less stable. On the rare occasions I use a monopod I always leave IS enabled.

IS is obviously helpful BUT it is very expensive on these lenses. For me the straight 2.8 suits me perfectly, almost always use it wide open outside in good light, and if indoors eg photographing the baby then just use a bean-bag to support it.

The sheer weight of the thing means it's quite stable anyway, I have continually shaking hands but can often manage 1/(f/2) with this lens, i.e. 1/100th at 200mm.

Sorry - I just read you said monopod -not tripod. :bonk:

Even more reason to keep IS enabled than on a tripod as a monopod is less stable. On the rare occasions I use a monopod I always leave IS enabled.

You could change the mode on the monopod. I will try this and see what happens.

1 mode = all directions
2 mode = assume a pan or movement in 1 plane is ok and stabilize the other

I would assume mode 2 might be good where up and down is unlikely but side to side is.

Thoughts?

Cheers

MIP

I think that the 100-400L is Gen 1 IS, being one of the older lenses, so something to be aware of if you use it on a tripod with the head locked and not touching the camera to fire the shutter. I've had one corrupted image from the 100-400L on the only occasion I used it with the head locked, but using it in my normal fashion - on a gimbal - I've never had any issues at all ny leaving IS on.

I suppose it's possible that later versions of the 100-400L have Gen 2 IS - does anyone know for sure?

You could change the mode on the monopod. I will try this and see what happens.

I would assume mode 2 might be good where up and down is unlikely but side to side is.

Thoughts?

Cheers

MIP

The other way round - Mode 2 just stabilises on the up and down axis of the lens to eliminate any minor uip/down movements of the camera as you pan with the subject. A subect such as a racing car crossing at right angles would be an ideal situation to use Mode 2.

I just got a 70-200 IS and the shutter speeds with it are absolute madness!

I'm fairly experienced shooting with 70-200's having the Canon f4 and the Sigma f2.8 and I thought I knew roughly where the limits of useable shutter speeds were but that 2.8IS lets you use utterly insane shutter speeds. I tested it when I got it and for a static object @200mm I got down to 1/15 sec.

When you think of the old inverse rule ie shutter speed a reciprocal of the focal length that should have been 1/200!

I have found through a lot of trial and error (getting a lot less error now) that human subjects at weddings, even when stationery, require 1/60 to stop any movement. Obviously the faster the subject moves the higher you have to go to freeze them. But 1/60 is the measure I now apply. Shooting down around those shutter speeds I'll happily take the IS and at least I'm going some way to eliminating doddery old photographer shake :)

I think that the 100-400L is Gen 1 IS, being one of the older lenses, so something to be aware of if you use it on a tripod with the head locked and not touching the camera to fire the shutter. I've had one corrupted image from the 100-400L on the only occasion I used it with the head locked, but using it in my normal fashion - on a gimbal - I've never had any issues at all ny leaving IS on.

I suppose it's possible that later versions of the 100-400L have Gen 2 IS - does anyone know for sure?

I don't think Canon has formally upgraded this lens in any way since it was launched ten years ago, apart perhaps from the incremental improvements in manufacturing that go on under the skin.

Pretty sure the IS has not been changed. It is two-stage, with a claimed two stop advanatge (I think it's maybe more than that personally), with automatic tripod sensing.

I use it with IS on with a tripod, never had any issues (apart from sharper pictures :) ). You always get some vibration, even on a tripod.

I don't think Canon has formally upgraded this lens in any way since it was launched ten years ago, apart perhaps from the incremental improvements in manufacturing that go on under the skin.

Pretty sure the IS has not been changed. It is two-stage, with a claimed two stop advanatge (I think it's maybe more than that personally), with automatic tripod sensing.

I use it with IS on with a tripod, never had any issues (apart from sharper pictures :) ). You always get some vibration, even on a tripod.

I didn't hink they'd changed the IS but I wasn't sure. Hmm your experience is different to mine then Hoppy. I got the corrupted image- sort of horizontal banding - a bit like venetian blinds, so I wasn't going to to take any further risks.

Sounds like you need a more stable Tripod.... or maybe not! :D

Seriously, I dont think Gen 1 IS had auto tripod sensing?

It depends on what sort of shooting you do. I mainly shoot sports and have the non IS version, I've never found myself wanting the slower shutter speeds, when handholding.

However, shooting a lot of sports means that I am outside in all weathers and no IS version lacks the weather seal that corresponds to the weather seal on my 1D (and I believe is also on the 5D mk2 and 7D) so in my case the IS version would probably have been a better bet for my piece of mind (I only had a 20D at the time I bought it, so it didn't matter about the seal).

Apparently the non-IS version is a bit sharper at the long end, however from personal experience of owning this lens I'd go with the IS version if you can afford it - trying to maintain 1/320 or more as the light drops off gets tedious...

I went for the IS version, so yes, worth it to me.

£1100 sounds too good to be true for that lens. Kerso is cheapest I've ever found for landed in the UK, tax paid, full UK warranty.

I got a used but almost perfect condition one on eBay for £850... the IS version as well.

I didn't hink they'd changed the IS but I wasn't sure. Hmm your experience is different to mine then Hoppy. I got the corrupted image- sort of horizontal banding - a bit like venetian blinds, so I wasn't going to to take any further risks.

Sounds like you need a more stable Tripod.... or maybe not! :D

Seriously, I dont think Gen 1 IS had auto tripod sensing?

The 100-400L manual says turn off the IS with a tripod, although it doesn't give any reason at all. On the other hand, The-Digital-Picture says: "While the 100-400 L's IS system will detect a tripod and automatically disable itself, turning off IS when using a tripod will save a little battery life and cause the IS mechanism to be locked in a centered position." And while they don't get everything right on that site IMHO, that particular review has been up long enough for any mistakes to have been corrected long ago. Full review here http://www.the-digital-picture.com/Reviews/Canon-EF-100-400mm-f-4.5-5.6-L-IS-USM-Lens-Review.aspx

I've just tried to upset the IS now. Tripod as solid as I can make it, IS just seems to park and sits minding its own business, whirring quietly. But if you introduce any movement, by raising the centre column for example, it works. With the lens at 400mm and on max magnification live view, you can see it clear as day. In short, I can't get it to misbehave on a tripod at all.

Apart from helping with shutter speeds, I find it really useful when trying to focus accurately with the centre point. If you want to nail the focus on the eye of a bird (as opposed to one of those fish you have in your barrel ;) ) and with the tripod head loose, it's much harder to hold the position accurately with the IS on.

TBH I don't know why we are told to turn the IS off with a tripod, based on my experience with Canon lenses at least. Sure it shouldn't be necessary and it uses battery power, which probably is a problem if you are sitting waiting a long time in a hide or something, with a half press on the shutter release almost permanently (ie system active for minutes on end, even hours). But I can't see that it does any harm to the image, or even if it does have a hissy fit now and then, well the chances of that ruining a shot seem pretty rare. Of course I would turn it off if it actually did nothing on a tripod, but sometimes it very clearly does.

My other IS lenses, 70-200L 4 and 17-55 2.8, both much newer of course, simply say turn off the IS on a tripod to save battery power.

Edit: forgot to mention. Thought it was interesting that when I was trying to upset the IS by tapping the camera (up/down shift movement), the stabilising effect wasn't much. But it worked a treat when I tapped the end of the lens (rotational tilt movement). It's the shift movement that Canon's new Hybrid IS fixes, as fitted to the (very) new 100mm L macro.

Because the 100-400L is so long when set at 400mm, I guess there's a lot of leverage and tilt movement. Other long lenses too of course. But with shorter lenses when on a tripod there is perhaps more shift movement than tilt, so that regular non-Hybrid IS is going to be less effective anyway.

nice work minty - that's a massive bargain

Quick tip if you plan to look for one on ebay:

Sometimes you find IS versions labelled simply as 70-200 2.8L, I found a few when I was looking so you can pickup a bargain as long as you are the only person that spots it.

Mine came on with a buy it now and I had to examine the pictures closely to see it was the IS.

Needless to say I instantly bought it… probably a little risky as the pictures might not have been genuine but I had the seller confirm the pictures were of the item and it was the IS version before I made the payment.

Many thanks for all the replies, I will be going for the IS version!

I have bought from Kerso before and will no doubt be doing so again soon!

Dave

Back