70-200 f2.8 macro sigma CHEAP

hotchef23

Gonna turn red
Edit My Images
No
Jessops (in hushed tones) is selling th eabove lens off at 449 including 12 months buy now pay later.
knocked off £180 so well worth it.

excellent lens

Err, do you have a link for that offer hotchef23?

I'm confused about which lens this is.

The Jessops one is Sigma 70-200mm f2.8EX DG Macro (CAF).

Looking around there seems to be several versions of this lens
a) the 2.8 EX DG HSM Lens
b) the 2.8 EX DG Macro HSM Lens
c) the 70-200mm f/2.8 II EX DG HSM Macro Lens.

Is it b)?

Thanks

UPDATE

I have spoken to Jessops and it is b)

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm confused about which lens this is.

The Jessops one is Sigma 70-200mm f2.8EX DG Macro (CAF).

Looking around there seems to be several versions of this lens
a) the 2.8 EX DG HSM Lens
b) the 2.8 EX DG Macro HSM Lens
c) the 70-200mm f/2.8 II EX DG HSM Macro Lens.

Is it b)?

Thanks

UPDATE

I have spoken to Jessops and it is b)

What's the difference with these lenses? Is it that one is just a newer version or is one specifically for Macro work? The Jessops price is pretty good as Warehouse express and Purdey's are still doing it at £599.00

Chris :)

What's the difference with these lenses? Is it that one is just a newer version or is one specifically for Macro work? The Jessops price is pretty good as Warehouse express and Purdey's are still doing it at £599.00

Chris :)

I had a read here, it tells you the order they came out.

http://www.the-digital-picture.com/Reviews/Sigma-Lens-Reviews.aspx

This lens is the macro version Mark 1 (discontinued). I'm not sure what improvements were made to the Mark 2. I haven't made a purchase yet but have one on reserve. It does seem good value at £359 compared to the Mark 2 at £569 (Bristol Cameras).

Anyone with any thoughts?

From what ive read...
the first non-macro version gets a good review but can suffer from a bit of CA under certain conditions
The Macro version jessops are selling at the minute improves on the CA but it would seem it can be a little soft above 150mm wide open, sharpens up nicely f3.5-4
The new mkII is meant to handle CA very well and is meant to be very sharp @ 200mm wide open.

Coming from an EF 75-300, Ive had a quick play about my 70-200 i picked up a couple of hours ago from jessops and first impressions are WOW!!! to my eyes its great, brilliant vibrant colours, excellent contrast and seems to be very sharp, it also built like a tank and now my 40d looks tiny lol.

Good results with a 2x as well :)

will have to give it a proper test over the weekend.

The way i see it, £360 for a 2.8 tele-zoom with pro like build quality is a bargain and i doubt you'd lose any money on it if you didnt like it ;)

Last edited:
I bought the MK1 from Jessops for £550 earlier this year, while I would have preferred to pay £359 for it I still think it was value for money.

It compares very well to the Canon 70-200 (non IS) and is now at least £300 cheaper than an Import !!!!

i quite tempted

i am meant to be saving for the nikon 70-200 F2.8 but to get the sigma for less than 400.

hmmm

Do i need one of these if i have a sigma 100-300 F4 already? I cant decide!

Saw the thread yesterday and picked lens this morning from Jessops, great value with the discount code £359.00.

Not had much chance to try it out today but impressed with the few picture taken today

Grrr... why did I pay a deposit on a house just this week? I could really use one of these!!!

Back