70-200 on a Canon, which one?

Name
Paul
Edit My Images
Yes
I'm looking at going up to wales for some low level aircraft photography. I have a canon 6d.

Realistically I'm not going to be using the lens loads, wales and airshows, odd stuff. I had a 70-200 on my crop and it gave me enough reach to enjoy it.
In order of price i'm looking at below.

70-200 f4
70-200 f4 is
70-200 f2.8
70-200 f2.8 is

I know its subjective but am I really going to see the difference on a moving shot of an aircraft between the f4 and f2.8 version of the lens, will IS help?

I'm edging towards the f4 IS version atm.

f/4 IS

What is your budget Paul as there is a large difference in price of the 4 lenses - don't forget about the 2.8IS mkII...

All of the lenses will take a Canon 1.4 TC, the 2.8 will also take the Canon 2x TC.

I had the F4 (non IS) previously and loved it - only sold it on to upgrade - still thinking of getting another at some point as the 2.8 can be a bit weighty to carry around all day.

The 2.8 mkII takes the 1.4 TC extremely well.

Depending on which circuit your going to the 200 range might not be enough as you're now using full frame...

I have the F4 IS, I spent a while deciding between the non IS or IS. For me the main factor was not only the obvious benefit of IS, but the optics are actually better on the IS version. I had an interesting discussion with Alex Nail & Greg Whitton, and am chuffed to bits with the lens. It's really sharp, works perfectly for landscapes. Weight was the reason I didn't go for the f2.8, I'll be travelling.

Last edited:
After trying out both canon and sigma 2.8is lens I went for the canon f4is as it was a lot lighter, and to be honest it has travelled the world with me

I used to have the F4,i now have the 70-200 F4 IS,much better.:)

My budget is more a case of spending the right amount to do the job well, i'd rather spend less as its not an everyday lens ;) I did borrow a 70-200 IS F2.8 from a friend but on my crop at the time and it was impressive but I normally take middle ground on lenses and pick the one thats best value, its just a hobby and I have a hankering for an Ultra wide too. If I had to stick a value on it I'd say £800 max.

I hadn't thought about teleconverters (or more pointedly I didn't even know about them really) So will do a bit of searching, looking like a F4 IS with a converter on it may be the middle ground here? The weight is an interesting point, its more likely to be used and travel more if its less of a lump.

Will a 2x converter work with a 70-200 f4? (looks like that will cost around 600+164)

Or should I be looking at a different lens to maximise value.

Last edited:
The f/4 IS is the best bang for buck if you don't need f/2.8. If you add a 1.4 MkIII extender that will take it to 280mm f/5.6 (you lose a stop of light with the extender).

On the f4 you will lose AF with a 2 x converter on your 6D. it brings it to f8 max aperture and you need a 1 series, 5D3 or7D MkII to AF at f8

Last edited:
On the f4 you will lose AF with a 2 x converter on your 6D. it brings it to f8 max aperture and you need a 1 series, 5D3 or7D MkII to AF at f8
Ok, just seen the same info after a bit of searching, so 2x is no go.

The f/4 IS is the best bang for buck if you don't need f/2.8. If you add a 1.4 MkIII extender that will take it to 280mm f/5.6 (you lose a stop of light with the extender).
Sounds like good advice, my searching also suggests this is a good combination.

I used to have the (non-IS) 2.8 and found it too heavy to carry around all day (maybe I should go to the gym more!). I "downgraded" to a non-IS f4 and am very happy with it. The optical performance is just as good in my experience. I might upgrade to the f4 IS version at some point as it's meant to be marginally better and IS would be useful.

A 300mm 2.8 is the general weapon of choice in The Loop...but expensive. 70-200 2.8 would be next choice, However if your budget doesn't allow, the 70-200 F4 is a superb piece of glass....Forget IS.
The only downside with the 70-200 is reach, and as such would limit the areas in The Loop where you could get useable shots. There is always the 1.4 extender, but you would lose a stop, and in the Loop that extra stop is very useful.
Have you thought about a used 300mm F4, which is a lovely lens to use.

Hope this helps,

Philip

A 300mm 2.8 is the general weapon of choice in The Loop...but expensive. 70-200 2.8 would be next choice, However if your budget doesn't allow, the 70-200 F4 is a superb piece of glass....Forget IS.
The only downside with the 70-200 is reach, and as such would limit the areas in The Loop where you could get useable shots. There is always the 1.4 extender, but you would lose a stop, and in the Loop that extra stop is very useful.

Hope this helps,

Philip

Why should he forget the IS version?

At the shutter speeds he would be using it wouldn't help, apart from props on Hercs. The 70-200mm f4 is not a heavy lens to use, and the none IS versions would generally be less expensive.

I understand all that but what about the better image quality using the IS version?

Yes the IS wont help with moving subjects but may help if you use the lens in low light for other subjects
I have had the 70-200 F4 non IS since 2006 and it's a wonderful lens and really really sharp
I've got some of my best shots with it
I'm not disputing tbat tbe newer IS version is sharper but I honestly wonder if I would see any difference in real world shot's

Why would the IS version give better quality images, unless you are referring to the 70-200 F2.8 IS which does give exceptional quality images, but that's down to optical construction, and not the IS.

The IS version of the F4 is supposed to be sharper in tests but I believe that you would struggle see any difference between them in real life shots

Why would the IS version give better quality images, unless you are referring to the 70-200 F2.8 IS which does give exceptional quality images, but that's down to optical construction, and not the IS.

The optical construction is different, there is more glass in the IS version compared to the non IS, from memory 4 elements..............along with weather sealing which could be handy.

For aircraft, 200mm is not very long on full-frame.

Hope this helps,
Philip

Interesting, will search info on the 300, 1st glance shows its on budget.

For aircraft, 200mm is not very long on full-frame.

Point taken.

So the 70-200 f4 is a decent enough lens (IS not being necessary but it is a better lens all round with IS optically and more weather proof) but there is some debate about how useful it will be in the loop, a 300 f4 comes in price wise and has some usefulness up there.

I won't be pixel peeping or trying to read the dials in the plane, I just want to walk away with some decent action shots.

Thanks all so far :)

Last edited:
I'm looking at going up to wales for some low level aircraft photography. I have a canon 6d

If that's what your mostly going to be shooting I think you're buying he wrong length of lens.

The minimum I'd buy is a 300 f/4 and the ideal would be a 400 f/5.6

Of all those listed I'd go for the 70-200 non IS

Cheaper, lighter, you don't need IS , get a good one and they're tack sharp and they hold their money so ownership costs can be zero​

What about the 70-300mm L?. Very sharp, gives good reach and fast AF, which you'll need on the 6D

And then I spotted the 100-400 in the classified section, seems like it will be exactly whats need for the loop and airshows in general, plus a bit of wildlife.

Thanks for all your help, I think the 70-200 is an excellent lens but reading between the lines here its not quite going to give me what I want from airshows, hopefully the 100-400 will be great :)

I used my 100-400 when I went to the Mach loop and found it ideal - it can be zoomed in very fast as the aircraft approach and zoomed out again as they pass and turn giving a maximum number of frames. Enjoy it!

And then I spotted the 100-400 in the classified section, seems like it will be exactly whats need for the loop and airshows in general, plus a bit of wildlife.

Thanks for all your help, I think the 70-200 is an excellent lens but reading between the lines here its not quite going to give me what I want from airshows, hopefully the 100-400 will be great :)

This should suit all your needs...good luck with the new lens. If you have any questions about the Mach Loop, feel free to pm me and I will do my best to help.

Philip

Hi guys. I have never done any photography like this so could you explain to me what the Loop is please? i just like to know stuff. Thanks

It's a place in Wales designated Tactical Training Area 7 or LFA 7 where pilots come to practice low level flying. There are various places around the loop where you can stand to watch or photograph them. Search google for Mach Loop or visit Fox2 website which shows the area in greater detail.

The Mach Loop is one a few places in the UK where the military practice low level flying. Its in Wales and covers a valley that your able to get up on ether side of with 4 or 5 well known vantage points.

You go up, you take pot luck, nobody knows what will come that day if anything, Its not a secret but its not something that's banded about too much ether, the military can just choose to stop using it should the hills sprout stadium chairs and crowds.

Search about, there's lots of info on it. I'm looking forward to spending at least two days up there and meeting like minded photographers and I hope being lucky enough to get a few shots of aircraft doing their stuff, if not I'm going to be just as happy sat in the middle of some pretty beautiful countryside with landscape photography being one of my favourite things too.

This should suit all your needs...good luck with the new lens. If you have any questions about the Mach Loop, feel free to pm me and I will do my best to help.

Philip

Thanks Philip, I will most likely do that, as you can tell i'm doing my best to be prepared and enjoy my time up there.

sorry misread your post I thought you meant you'd prefer the extra stop as in a 400mm f/4

The 400mm f/5.6 is a very good lens, with the modern bodies being much more adept at working well at the higher ISO levels it's quite useable and much sharper than the 100-400

Back