70-200 options for Sony FE mount

Name
Paul
Edit My Images
Yes
I'd really like to complete my lens line-up with a 70-200 lens and there seem to actually be some options these days. I'm not a pro by any means, but tend to be the go-to photographer for any-and-all family events, as well as still enjoying shooting for myself.

If it makes a difference, I use an A7R2

The options as far as I can tell are:
  • Sony 70-200 f/2.8 | £2,000
  • Sony 70-200 f/4 | £1,100
  • Tamron 70-180 f/2.8 | £TBC
  • Sigma 70-200 f/2,8 Sport | £1,100
  • Canon/Nikon f/2.8 with a converter £2,000 ish?

Does anyone have any experience with the third-party options in comparison to the Sony models? An extra £900 to get 2.8 Sony - is it worth it? I seem to remember a while back the 2.8 wasn't that well regarded...

I'd really like to complete my lens line-up with a 70-200 lens and there seem to actually be some options these days. I'm not a pro by any means, but tend to be the go-to photographer for any-and-all family events, as well as still enjoying shooting for myself.

If it makes a difference, I use an A7R2

The options as far as I can tell are:
  • Sony 70-200 f/2.8 | £2,000
  • Sony 70-200 f/4 | £1,100
  • Tamron 70-180 f/2.8 | £TBC
  • Sigma 70-200 f/2,8 Sport | £1,100
  • Canon/Nikon f/2.8 with a converter £2,000 ish?

Does anyone have any experience with the third-party options in comparison to the Sony models? An extra £900 to get 2.8 Sony - is it worth it? I seem to remember a while back the 2.8 wasn't that well regarded...

Assume when you mention the Sigma that you are talking about the Canon or A mount version and using an adaptor? There is no E mount Sigma 70-200, although it is expected to come this year.

A 70-200 to be useful for most things will need fast a.f, adapting any lens isn't going to work great here. Also you mentioned adapting a Nikon lens, none of thise will work well in terms of a.f.

Realistically the options are either the f/4 Sony, the G.M or waiting for the Tamron which is supposed to become available in the spring.

The Sony f/4 is actually a very good lens but the Tamron may be worth waiting for as it's likely to not be too much more expensive and is supposed to have faster a.f than even the G.M lens although you lose 20m at the long end and it will have an extending barrel. I had the f/4 lens for a time and found it very good but I didn't use it much so ending up replacing it with the 135GM.

The 700-200 f/2.8 GM is very well regarded (although you have said it's not) but is obviously the most expensive option, with it being an older lens design it might be worth waiting to see what the Tamron offers.

Last edited:
I don't see much need for the f2.8, with high ISO being almost irrelevant within reason.
I got the F4 Sony late last year and it's a delight to use and much lighter than the Canon version I had before.

Gillamoor, St Aidans by Colin Grice, on Flickr

I'm wanting a lens like this for my A7RIV and am waiting for the Tamron 70-180mm f2.8. Videos are showing insanely fast AF, and it's almost half the weight (and probably price) of the Sony 70-200mm f2.8 GM. Seems like a no brainer to me.

If it’s not urgent - I’d be tempted to wait for the tamron. The Sony f4 is really nice - but if you know you’ll need fast af in low light it’s worth waiting for the tamron. Their recent 70-200 for Nikon and canon have been sensational.

I actually hired the f/4 ages ago for a holiday, and liked it, but did miss f/2.8, and this was in Canada where they have about the same amount of light as us.

I actually hired the f/4 ages ago for a holiday, and liked it, but did miss f/2.8, and this was in Canada where they have about the same amount of light as us.
Light gathering doesn't bother me tbh between f2.8 and f4 but the extra subject isolation does (y)

Back