70-200 Questions

• Thread starter Deleted member 84791
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 84791

Evening all

I am looking to upgrade my old ef 70-300 USM for a better quality lens but am not sure what to go for. There are a couple of nice Canon EF 70-200 F/4 IS on Ebay - circa £650 to £700. Is this a fair price for a clean example? Alternatively there are Tamrom and Sigma F/2.8 versions second hand at similar price. Do you feel that its better to buy one of these for the F/2.8 aperture or is the Canon's quality worth taking the higher F stop? Opinions appreciated please folks.

Rgds Simon

What do you shoot?

Arguably the f4 with the image stabiliser is worth more for handholding than the faster aperture of the f2.8. If the subject is not moving.

I love my 70-200f4 is. It is an awesome focal length on a full frame for walk around and landscape. On a crop it starts to feel like a decent telephoto.

Sharp from f4 with good colour and colour and contrast.

The canon 70-200 F4IS is a great lens. Canon also do a 70-300 L lens which is also nice but a higher F stop. The F2.8 version is a very big very lens great for indoor sports or shallow depth of field but the F4IS is quite a bit smaller and lighter. What are you going to use the lens for?

I would look to buy from MPB not ebay at that sort of money. Around £680 will get you a mint one with warranty from MPB less for a more used one. The eBay price should be more around £575-625.

I have a 70-200f4is really good lens it has travelled the world with me and to be honest its only one stop different from the 2.8. The reason it has travelled is for its lightness. Again great lens

I have a 70-200f4is really good lens it has travelled the world with me and to be honest its only one stop different from the 2.8. The reason it has travelled is for its lightness. Again great lens

Hi Wave,

I've got a similar thread going and I see from your reply that you have used the f4 for travel, I am considering getting one for a Canon 7D for travel too. Would you mind sharing what sort of travel photography you do please?

Hi refreshf5 this lens has gone to Orlando and done the parks there, it's been down to the Keys and done wildlife there. I am sure the pelicans are used to humans as I could get fairly close. I have used it in Washington DC. It's got some great shots of ospreys in Florida.
This lens fits in my bag I carry it around all day it's not a problem

Hi

Cheers for the responses. Up till very recently most of my photography was Florida and its wildlife, sadly my folks sold their house over there so I will be looking at more in the UK especially as we head towards summer/lighter nights after work. I like visiting places like Lotherton Hall Bird centre, Chester zoo, Studley Royal Deer park etc. in addition I will be out with family (5 year old and a 3 year old) plus i like things like car and bike shows so really a mixed bag. I have a Canon 80D so hoping the effective 110-320 focal range that a 70-200 gives will cover what I do. In addition to the larger lens I will be looking to replace my old 28-80 kit lens too but that will be back end of the year. For now I will be using either a 24mm 2.8 prime for landscape and what ever I end up getting 70-200 for the rest?

Back