70-200mm f/4L IS OR 70-200mm F2.8L Non IS ??

K

kinchy

Hello all,

Done a search for this, but its hard considering what i need to search on, so havent found the answer
Basically im after the 70-200mm and have decided on either of 2 flavours.

1. Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8 L USM Lens (non-IS) for £630 (OSD)

or

2. Canon EF 70-200mm f/4 L IS USM Lens for £629 (OSD)

So seeing as they are the same price, which would be more beneficial.
I would use it for handheld stuff aswell as indoor shots, so both the f/2.8 and the IS would be useful, but can i get away with not having IS for the sake of having f/2.8?

Im not forking out an extra £370 for both IS and f/2.8.

I would love to hear your opinions.

2.8 lets more light in, so faster shutter speed, whereas IS means you get a lower shutter speed for your light when the light isn't as good.

You most likely know that but in researching the F4 I've seen a ton of things on the above 2 lens and it really depends on what you want to shoot. Also consider the size/weight of the two, the f/2.8 is a bit heavier if that might come into it.

The 2.8 wil be sharper at f4 than the f4 at f4, also using a 1.4 or 2.0 TC for extra reach will give you f4 on the 2.8 and I think f5.6 on the f4.. so 2.8 better for a couple of reasons.

Ta for that,

i knew the 2.8 would let more light in, but it was whether or not it would be worth sacrificng an f-stop of light for Image Stabilization.

I think the 2.8 is the way to go on balance for the reasons above. And very good point about teh decrease in aperture size regarding the extender, forgot abuot that. Making it 5.6 would be too much for me, and 4 would be workable.

The f4 is so much easier to manage/hold. It is also less in-your-face, so might be easier for some subjects (ie people).
Try both out, bearing in mind what you take pictures of, and good luck !

;)2.8 everytime, you can get away without IS on that focal length if you can't then you need to brush up your technique, use it with an E1 hand strap and you won't notice the weight;)

The 2.8 is larger than the F4 but not by that much and it is so much better IMHO, one of Canon's best and most versatile:clap:

Weight would be an important consideration for me.

The 70-200 F4 non is is 705g
The 70-200 F4 IS is 760g
The 70-200 F2.8 non IS is 1310g
The 70-200 f2.8 IS is 1470g

I've got the 100-400 IS which at 1380g gets a little heavy after a while.

Can't dispute the 70-200 f2.8 IS is a great lens though

I had both of these lenses for a while...the f/4 for portability and the f/2.8 for usability. I quickly realised that the f/2.8 was portable and the f/4 was history.

Bob

All of the above advice is sound (although it is debatable if the f4 is more/less sharp than the f2.8 @ f4, but that's nit picking).

However...

You could as well save yourself £200 and get the non IS version of the f4.
Then regret not having IS or f2.8.

What I'm saying in a roundabout way is, if you think you might regret not having either and want the best of both worlds, then save for the f2.8 IS. I did and I dont regret it. It's an expensive mistake to rectify at a later date.

Hello all,

Done a search for this, but its hard considering what i need to search on, so havent found the answer
Basically im after the 70-200mm and have decided on either of 2 flavours.

1. Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8 L USM Lens (non-IS) for £630 (OSD)

or

2. Canon EF 70-200mm f/4 L IS USM Lens for £629 (OSD)

So seeing as they are the same price, which would be more beneficial.
I would use it for handheld stuff aswell as indoor shots, so both the f/2.8 and the IS would be useful, but can i get away with not having IS for the sake of having f/2.8?

Im not forking out an extra £370 for both IS and f/2.8.

I would love to hear your opinions.

where have you seen it for that price?? If it helps, I've looked at both lenses on camera and I'm going to go for the 2,8 (y)

Some interesting points being raised.
The thing about regret is, i want to know if i will live without one or the other, and in time woudl i regret having either, let alone both.

Weight isnt an issue really for me.

As for the price - OSD = onestop-digital.com

The 2.8 wil be sharper at f4 than the f4 at f4
Says who!? Everything I've read says the F4 is sharper than the F2.8 and the F4 IS is slightly sharper than the F4 non-IS.

Says who!? Everything I've read says the F4 is sharper than the F2.8 .

Correct.. But the f2.8 at f4 should be sharper than an F4 at f4 Sharpness does not stay the same throughout the focal range. all lenses ahve a sweet spot.

Try a f2.8 at f2,8 and same shot at f4 .. try an f4 at f4 and a pound to a penny it's sharper at say f8

I dont know who says.. also I havent done these tests. its just wot I learnt :) Try it and see.

www.onestop-digital.com is one place, there are several others UK based on ebay if you prefer that, ultimately they all come the same place, I buy from one-stop most of the time, have saved thousands doing it that way, just do all the normal security checks and you'll be fine, one stop are reputable anyway;)

where have you seen it for that price?? If it helps, I've looked at both lenses on camera and I'm going to go for the 2,8 (y)

Back