70-300 VR ED AF-S F4.6-F5.6G OR SIGMA DG 70 -200 f2.8

raider2727

Suspended / Banned
Edit My Images
Yes
Which should i opt for on a D700?
I will be using it for general photography of the kids playing candid, the odd shot of a flower or bug and a walk about lens for wildlife.
With Sigma with a 1.4 tele making it f4

if it was me, then i'd choose the Sigma 70-200 and ise it with the 1.4x converter when needed.

Don't think the VR on the nikon would make up that much for the f/2.8 on the sigma - but who knows, i'm a canon user lol :)

Gary

I use both on a D700 but for different purposes. If I need the extra speed of the lens for low light or shallower DoF, I use the 70-200 but for most other things I use the 70-300 VR, mainly for the extra reach but also for its lightness, speed of focus finding and the VR. For kids playing, the extra reach of the 70-300 could be useful but so could the shallow DoF of the f/2.8 - the extra speed is a little irrelevant on the D700 - just crank up the ISO if you need shorter shutter times! The extra length of the 70-300 is useful for wildlife as well. IMO, neither is ideal for flowers and bugs, you really need a dedicated macro lens for those.

If you find yourself in Exeter, have a look in the Devon Camera Centre (Guildhall Shopping Centre) and the London Camera Exchange (top of Fore Street) to see what they've got in their 2nd hand stocks, or take a trip down to Mifsuds to explore theirs.

Back