Beginner 700d and d5300

Yeah was the 1.8 I was thinking purely due to price difference to the 1.4. Well just thinking a lot of my photos will be of my kids so want a prime almost for portraits I guess would you recommend the 35mm over the 50mm for that?

Well for my preference the 35mm is better, but it depends on yours. If you get a camera and the kit lens you can test to see whether 35mm or 50mm suits your shooting style the best. I had a 50mm on my Sony and whilst i loved it, i found it a bit tight for how i shoot where as the 35mm is pretty good for my style on my Nikon. Although tbh, i have the Tamron 17-50 f2.8 and the 35mm hardly gets used now a days unless i want to go light.

Ah OK yeah is quite large haha. Even so could be a possibility to get instead of the 18-55 and 50mm

Yeah more food for thought I guess. Could be an idea to get the tamron and then a longer zoom to cover most possible uses until I work out what I need in particular with regards to primes, wide angle etc

Yeah think I might possibly get the canon 60d with the 17-50 f 2.8 tamron and then the canon 55-250 is II.

Or if her indoors gets her way it might be the 700d to bring cost down a tad​

If you're looking at 700d, I'd consider the 650d second hand. I had a look at both and really couldn't see a reason to go for the newer model. The main reason the 650d stood out was admittedly the touchscreen! I am used to touchscreen devices everywhere else and find it eliminates a lot of the menu diving that people usually regard as a downside of lower end bodies that only have a single control wheel.

Yeah well if I do go for lower end it will be a touch screen one I'm sure. Ideally I want 2 control wheels and better battery but unfortunately funds are a bit limited or I'd buy everything haha.

i suppose another option would be get the 60d/d7000 with just the tamron 17-50 f2.8 and wait a few months for the next lens, maybe get the tamron 70-300 or something as a christmas present haha.

Great pics. Love the cliffs. And can't complain about image quality with that combo can you. Which 70-300 do you have, is it the 2.8-4? That's what I was looking at but can't justify both with a higher body yet. Think it would only get used at my funeral!

Do you find you have to use both card slots on the d7000? Not having to worry about space so much is a nice feature I think.

It's the Tamron SP 70-300 vc f4-5.6. About £200 second hand or £260-270 brand new.

I always have 2 cards in but only use small ones incase of card failures. I tend to just have it running as overflow but when I'm shooting something important like a wedding or boxing event I tend to have it set to backup.

Yeah makes sense. Can't wait to get one now and get some pics up. Thanks for all your help and advice

has anyone tried the tamron 28-75 f/2.8? wondering if the extra range would be worth it instead of the extra at the lower end of the scale as a more 'all-rounder' than the 17-50

alot of my pictures will be of the kids to start with while im learning the ropes so could cover a lot of the 'portrait' focal ranges?

Last edited:
I have had the 17-50 f2.8 Sigma and the Tamron 28-75 f2.8 and for my shooting style the 28-75 was better, I didnt like the feel of the Tamron 17-50 so have never owned. If you read some of the blogs / comments on Flick etc, on the 28-75 a lot of photographers prefer the 28-75 as it's a FF lens and when used on a crop sensor you have the sharpness from corner to corner / the sweet spot of the lens. I was using the 28-75 on a D7000 and found it excellent.

I also had the Tamron 70-300 vc as David has mentioned and I found it better than the Nikon 70-300vr although a little noisey in operation compared to the Nikon.

Have a search on here, I think I seen some High Res pics from Gary S ??? with the 28-75 and they are sharp, although being used on a FF camera if my memory serves me right.

I have now changed over to Fuji for the lightness which is better for my disabilities. I would recomend the D7000 to anybody as it's a fantastic camera which I have ownwed twice, but not suitable for me.

Last edited:
And apparently the d7000 + 28-75 + 70-300 = £1003... might have to cut back haha

D5300

Much better IQ
Better low light capabilities
Lighter
Wifi provides easy immediate upload to social media
Expeed 4
Modified AA filter cancels out OLPF = higher sharpness
24mp - good for cropping when needed
Newer technology

A fun and excellent camera to use for someone just starting out

Would the lack of VC be an issue on the 28-75?

I have hand & shoulder disabilities and I never had a problem with it. VC or VR is more important on longer lenses when hand held.

Found it for just shy of 900 on mpb photographic and all secondhand.

A couple of d7000's have gone on here lately for £300 or just over...

add in a 17-50 f2.8 for about £165 ish and the tamron 70-300 vc for £210 and you're under budget. Obviously it can be a waiting game as they rarely come up together but eBay, here and other second hand retailers may have them seperately.

Yeah ill keep my eyes open. Also been thinking at 60d with the 17-50 tamron and the canon 55-250 which works out a bit cheaper

Yeah exactly just gotta work out a bundle to buy. Just gotta work out whether to get a budget standard zoom or tele and which to get of tamron 17-50, 28-75 or the 70-300. Too much choice!

Also, worth considering with the D7000 is the ability to use older "D" lenses, as the camera has an in-built motor for focussing. I am not sure if Canons are the same. If your on a budget it's worth considering some of the older D lenses, I have had the Nikon 28-105, 24-50, 28-85 & 75-300 and I must say all theses lenses have performed excellent, as they were originally designed for full frame. Also, they usually run around the f3.5-4.5 aperture mark so not's so far behind the F2.8 lenses.

The 28-105 is a classic lens with a great following, for a reason. You can pick these up for circa £100 -120, the 75-300 around the same and the other lenses around the £50.00 mark. It's worth considering if your on a budget.

Last edited:
If buying second hand what limit would you guys put yourself for actuations?

Obviously the less the better but having a little higher shutter count should save you some cash and having a shutter life of 150,000 (which will probably be a massively conservative estimate from Nikon anyway) is always going to be in your favour especially if you're not a machine gunner with the button.

If it was me I would buy a new model or something less than 5,000 clicks. I'm fussy and would want as new as possible for a body. If your budget is around the £700.00 mark you could get a new D7000 body for £469.00 or a demonstrator for £415.00, if you purchased the demonstrator for £415.00, you could then look to get the Tamron 70-300vc new, these two will bring you to around your £700.00 budget. If money is a little tight for a while you could get one of the lenses I mentioned above or even look at the kit 18-55 lens which you could get for around £60.00 new from a split kit set.

Or look for a second hand 70-300, see bottom link. Again with me, if I was buying the Tamron I would rather buy new for the 5 year warranty to be in my name.

As regards to HDEW I have bought two D7000 from them, only problem was on second body the camera was lost in post by UK Mail so I had to wait a little longer for a new body to be shipped., Looking at their website, it now looks as if they have stopped using these couriers.

http://www.hdewcameras.co.uk/nikon-d7000-digital-slr-camera-body-584-p.asp

http://www.hdewcameras.co.uk/ex-demo-nikon-d7000-digital-slr-camera-body-1667-p.asp

http://www.wexphotographic.com/buy-...=22191572169&gclid=ck2n_tazzr8cfbhmtaodrfcacw

Second hand 70-300vc

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Tamron-A0...=100011&prg=10244&rk=8&rkt=10&sd=281288263157

Back