700d vs 80d

Name
Matthew
Edit My Images
No
Hi all, hope you are well.

I don't consider myself to be anywhere near a profession photographer but the images I have taken with my 700D have been (IMO) really nice. I shoot mainly in AV or manual so I am confident with the settings and function of a dslr.

I am off to Norway in Feb and I am really hoping to get some really good photos of the northern lights (assuming they're out to play whilst I'm there) but I am worried that the 700D will hold me back so I have been considering exchanging it in for the 80D.

I have already got a relatively decent lens for the trip, the tokina 11-20mm 2.8 so I have been thinking that a camera the can shoot high ISO without the noise might be a better option.

Thank you all,

Matt

Use your 700d and spend the money on making a great holiday even better! Why do you think you need better high ISO performance to shoot the northern lights anyway? The 700d is fine at 3200 or there about.
Good tips here...
www.davemorrowphotography.com/2014/10/how-to-photograph-northern-lights.html#Shutter_Speed_ISO_Settings_8211_Northern_Lights_Photography

Thank you very much for that link.

I think it's more a worry and that if I had a better camera I have a better chance of getting the good shots. I do like the idea of the wifi so I can use my phone and be sat with my partner rather than leaving her to check and adjust but not sure if it is worth the £800ish.

Thanks again for that link

Spend the money on yourself and your partner!!!
I'm sure your images will look great with your 700d.
Buy a really long cable release for a few quid instead of WiFi! Hehe

Hi. I'm just a interns in photography and I just recently brought a d90 (used), with Nikkor 35-70mm lens and its a push and pull sequence of zoom in and zoom out. And I don't have any idea what is photography really is. Do you have any idea how can I start to learn

Last edited:
I never shot above ISO 800 if i could help if with my 700D as i didnt like the noise above that.

I recently upgraded from my 700D to my 80D due to one of the reasons being the ISO. I could never shoot above 800 as the noise was horrendous. It wasnt great at 800 imo. That said for landscapes i always shot at ISO 100. For northern lights id use a fast wide lens to help keep the ISO down without star trails.

It is a fantastic camera and i am very fond of it but the 80D is in a different league. Up until a couple of months ago all of the photos taken on my flickr are from my 700D and youd probably be unable to tell which camera took which photos.

But faster fps, shadow recovery etc. amongst the reasons I upgraded.

Last edited:
From experience, the best thing you can do to get good aurora shots is to take a decent tripod.

Save your money - you'll probably need it as Norway is a bloody expensive place to visit - albeit stunning and the people are lovely.

Back