70D or 7D Mk2 that is the question...

Edit My Images
No
Hi,

I've been looking at the 70d and 7dmk2 bodies to replace my 450d. I'm a keen amateur who like taking photos of wildlife and wondered if somebody could sum the advantages of the 7d mk2 over the 70d for me. I was set of the 7d mk2 but met up with a friend last night who has 70d and loves it.

Steve

I have the 7D2 and made the jump form a 450D I haven't used the 70D at all so cannot offer a direct comparison but I can say, hand on heart, that the 7d2 output is fab. The only reservation i have is that all the reviews I read before i purchased it said the noise at high ISo was negligible, but i have found it disappointing above 2000 and thats really the absolute maximum I will go. Even at 2000 the image are getting noisy. In every other way it works for me

I shoot with a 70D, and other cameras, and it is a good camera and the high ISO is OK to 3200 and even 6400 if you are happy with smaller prints or for the web and do some noise reduction.
I see the 7DII as a beter camera for action mainly because of tghe higher frame rate, bigger buffer, and even beter autofocus sytem (however you will need a d3ecnet performing lens as well).

You can add weather proofing, dual card slots, faster FPS, Improved auto ISO, Exposure comp in Manual and with Auto Iso

To add, I'm going to buy the 100-400 mk2 lens to go with either the 70D or 7D mk2. I can pick up the 70D for £599 or the 7Dmk2 for £1199 from HDEW, so am wondering if the extras on the 7D are worth twice the price? I guess that is a question only I can answer but wondering what people on here think?

I think you have AF mirco adjustment on the 70D, I don;t have this on my 450D which would be useful as my Canon 100mm macro lens back focuses slightly.

I have a Canon 15-85 and a Canon 100 mm macro lens.

I doubt that the MkII is twice the camera for twice the price. Not used a 70D so can't comment on how it would compare.

The MkII is a nice camera and allows you to customise it a lot which to my mind can be a distinct advantage in wildlife photography. AF is excellent and image quality very good.

Personally I feel the limit on ISO is around 1600 for wildlife. Above that I feel that there is a loss of detail. But I'm a fussy git and can't be bothered spending time running images through noise reduction software and spending loads of time on PP. I've used it at higher ISO for other photography and been pleased with the results.

I find that the images are slightly soft straight out of the camera and that threw me a bit when I first had it as I processed the RAW files the same as my 1DX and always felt that I wasn't getting the best out of them. But now I've modified my PP to suit.

I was in your position about a month ago and had totally convinced myself that i couldn't justify twice the price for the 7D mk2,right up to the moment that I bought the 7D,if you can afford it go for it I have been astonished by the results I am getting and I haven't even touched a tenth of what it can do yet.
It wasn't until i bought this that I realised the difference between an enthusiast camera like my 60D and a semi pro model like the 7D mk2

Thanks for your comments and thought guys. One thing I have just noticed is that 7d mk2 can auto focus at f8, so should I get a 1.4 extender, the body should still auto focus the 100-400 mk2. Where as I believe I will not be able to do this with the 70d.

I'm not sure I want to spend a lot of time PP at this stage, so probably best to stick to lower ISO by the sound of it.

From your op you said you like doing wildlife, then for me it has to be the 7d mk2. I have just upgraded to it from a 550d all I can say is its great. But it does take a little time to get used to the advanced features.

Thanks guys for you comments, I guess 7d mk2 will last me a very long time in terms of functionality, where as for example, I may wish I had f8 AF after a year or so if I opted for the 70D.

I wonder when the next Canon price drop will happen.... :)

I've got both the 7D MkII and the 70D and really the only thing I use the 70D for now is videos. The ISO ability of the 7D is fine for me up to 3200 and the IQ is excellent. The AF system of the 7D completely outclasses the 70D but the 70D AF system is still excellent anyway. Out of the two of them I would go for the 7D MkII but I'm sure you would be happy with the 70D as well.

Thanks for your comments and thought guys. One thing I have just noticed is that 7d mk2 can auto focus at f8, so should I get a 1.4 extender, the body should still auto focus the 100-400 mk2. Where as I believe I will not be able to do this with the 70d.

I had a 7D and a 70D. Now I have a 7D and a 7D Mk2. When I had it the 70D was never used for wildlife, only the 7D. Now the 7D Mk2 will carry out that role.

I also have a 100-400 Mk2 and 1.4x III, which I used today with the 7D2 for the first time in Orkney. They appear to work very well as a combo but I've only reviewed images on the camera so far.

I think the 7D mk2 is not that much bigger and heavier than the 70D as well, I guess I'll go and have a look at one at Currys as there are no LCS that stock Canon around me :(

Last edited:
I think the 7D mk2 is not that much bigger and heavier than the 70D as well, I guess I'll go and have a look at one at Currys as there are no LCS that stock Canon around me :(

The 7D2 is bigger and heavier than the 70D (weight particularly noticeable), another two reasons I prefer it. It also retains the joystick control of the 7D, which I am delighted about.

I had the same dilemma when returning to Canon a few months ago. I figured I'd try the 70D, keep it for a while and if I wasn't 100% happy (or just felt the urge to upgrade) sell it and maybe lose £150.

In the same period I figured the 7D2 price would have dropped by more (which it already has in 6 months) and that I would actually save money in the long run.

(It didn't convince the wife either)

Surely the large price difference must be a factor, you could buy two 70D's for the price of one 7D2. Unfair to compare them side by side in this respect.
I have the 70D, and would love the 7D2, but the £700 price difference is a big difference! If money is not an issue, it's a no brainer, the 7D2 is clearly a superior camera, as it should be,
I find the 70D does most things you would need it to.

You could get the 70D and still have £700 for a decent lens, which would be better than a 7D2 with a budget lens.

I shoot mainly wildlife with a 1d3 and a 70d ,the I.q of the 70d is making me use it more and more ,but it's slower to grab focus and the main drawback IMHO is the lack of a joystick to control focus points ,I will probably be looking at a 7d2 later this year

I had the same dilemma when returning to Canon a few months ago. I figured I'd try the 70D, keep it for a while and if I wasn't 100% happy (or just felt the urge to upgrade) sell it and maybe lose £150.

In the same period I figured the 7D2 price would have dropped by more (which it already has in 6 months) and that I would actually save money in the long run.

(It didn't convince the wife either)

I've managed to convince the wife after talking about the 7dMk2 since its launch in Nov/Dec, she now says "if that is what you want, just get it". I'm seeing a friend today who has 70D so will have a go with that later and will go to Currys tomorrow for a look at 7D mk2

I've managed to convince the wife after talking about the 7dMk2 since its launch in Nov/Dec, she now says "if that is what you want, just get it". I'm seeing a friend today who has 70D so will have a go with that later and will go to Currys tomorrow for a look at 7D mk2

Be careful it could be a trap or it will come back to haunt you in the future.

"....its up to you" translates to "do it and your a dead man"

Alternatively say screw it and get it because after all, "you told me to dear"

:exit::D

Be careful it could be a trap or it will come back to haunt you in the future.

"....its up to you" translates to "do it and your a dead man"

Alternatively say screw it and get it because after all, "you told me to dear"

:exit::D

Yeah this definitely sounds like she's after something...

"Well you spent that on a camera so i've gone and spent 1k on a poxy handbag..."

My missus has expensive taste so I never feel guilty buying new toys now. :D

The thing is, parcels already arrive at home full of new clothes every now and then, so I think it's time I got a new toy to make up for it :D

Had a go with the 70D last night. It felt a lot nicer when using it than my 450D, I think the fact it was bigger was the main reason. I also liked the way the AF points showed up in the viewfinder to indicate where the camera thinks the main focus area should be, the 450D does not do that. Off to Currys shortly to look at 7D mk2.

If you get a chance for an extended play with the 70D you'll find it does an awful lot more than the 450D. Sounds like it was in auto mode or somesuchlike. Someone remarked here that it's a lot more camera than the xxxDs and I have found that to be the case. Mind you so is the 7D.

Thanks, 2000 is still way better than the limit of 400 I have on the 450d :)

If your getting a 400 ISO limit on the 450D you must be using it in the auto point and shoot modes IE night, portrait, sports ,landscape etc, If used in AV, TV or M it has a maximum of 1600 ISO and also if auto ISO is used it caps at 800I SO. Now your wanting to upgrade to either the 70D or even the 7d mk11 which are both excellent cameras, be aware there are no point and shoot auto modes available they dont cater for that market, If your ok using AV, TV, M etc also consider the 7D second hand they can be had at very good prices thus leaving you plenty os spare cask for some quality glass.

If your getting a 400 ISO limit on the 450D you must be using it in the auto point and shoot modes IE night, portrait, sports ,landscape etc, If used in AV, TV or M it has a maximum of 1600 ISO and also if auto ISO is used it caps at 800I SO. Now your wanting to upgrade to either the 70D or even the 7d mk11 which are both excellent cameras, be aware there are no point and shoot auto modes available they dont cater for that market, If your ok using AV, TV, M etc also consider the 7D second hand they can be had at very good prices thus leaving you plenty os spare cask for some quality glass.

Hi Mark, When I say "limit" I mean limit in terms of picture quality, any higher than ISO 400 the images get very noisy and are of no use. This is where the newer bodies have improved greatly over my 5 year old camera body. I mainly shoot in Av mode and adjust ISO to get the desired shutter speed.

I went to Currys yesterday and had a look and a go with the 70D and 7Dmk2, the 7D felt better in the hand for me, a more rounder grip on the right, much better fit compared to the 450D. It was slightly heavier than 70D but not by much and felt like a more substantial quality piece of kit.

Hi Mark, When I say "limit" I mean limit in terms of picture quality, any higher than ISO 400 the images get very noisy and are of no use. This is where the newer bodies have improved greatly over my 5 year old camera body. I mainly shoot in Av mode and adjust ISO to get the desired shutter speed.

I went to Currys yesterday and had a look and a go with the 70D and 7Dmk2, the 7D felt better in the hand for me, a more rounder grip on the right, much better fit compared to the 450D. It was slightly heavier than 70D but not by much and felt like a more substantial quality piece of kit.

Yes your quite right my wife used a 450D for a while they take stunning landscapes but are somewhat restricted, She has now got my 60D another cracking camera and I use a 7D and have just purchased a second 7D body of here.

Make sure you read and google/utube the micro adjustment section and get your lenses tuned in properly they will be extremely sharp, I use a 15-85mm f3.5.6 IS USM for walkabout and 70-200mm f4L USM and Sigma 150-500mm and they are all very sharp now its just me needs to get better LOL

Back