70's style Photo's

Very dismissive, arrogant and rude response to someone trying to help. NIK software is pretty good, especially for free and if you spend time in understanding how it works and how to use it properly.

Bizarre thread resurrection.

And no Nik really isn't very good at all.

Very dismissive, arrogant and rude response to someone trying to help. NIK software is pretty good, especially for free and if you spend time in understanding how it works and how to use it properly.

In your opinion. Just try to see how you come across in your comments it's as if your opinion is the only one that matters

You have to get used to some of the people here and some can seem a bit... direct... brash... opinionated... I'm not picking on f2.8 here as he often posts good advice but to people not used to how some others post some exchanges can appear a bit overly opinionated or negative.

I've had Nik for years but use it only sparingly and I do agree that it can produce some ott results if you just can't resist those sliders but that's true of other packages too, use whatever you use with consideration and thought and you'll get results that don't look ott. I don't think I'd pay for it but the free version costs nothing but disk space and could come in useful. Maybe.

Unusually for this site I tried Lightroom and instantly detested it and have stuck with my aging and in some ways these days a bit lacking CS5.

And a PS.
I usually go for what I see as a more natural looking end product but it does seem that some people do like a more processed look.

Last edited:
In your opinion. Just try to see how you come across in your comments it's as if your opinion is the only one that matters

How about you refrain from telling me what to do.

I find that quite rude.

Perhaps take your internet warrior syndrome somewhere else, many thanks.

If your camera can use 'vintage' lenses (adapted to camera) that could be an option. Lots of 70's lenses that can be picked up for cheap. Obviously easier to use a preset but old lenses will give you a bit more authenticity.

I'm a bit of a fan of vintage lenses but the prices do seem to be heading upwards as more people have bought into mirrorless and realised they can use old lenses quite easily. I've seen lenses go for £60-100 that years ago you could find for £10-£15. Thankfully I think I've got all I need :D

How about you refrain from telling me what to do.

I find that quite rude.

Perhaps take your internet warrior syndrome somewhere else, many thanks.
I'm not telling you what to do? I'm asking you to think about how you respond and how that comes across

Last edited:
I'm not telling you what to do? I'm asking you to think

Your an argumentative fellow, so I am going to put you on ignore now as I don't want any more alerts because you have quoted me again.

I really can't be bothered getting involved with keyboard warriors.

I'm a bit of a fan of vintage lenses but the prices do seem to be heading upwards as more people have bought into mirrorless and realised they can use old lenses quite easily. I've seen lenses go for £60-100 that years ago you could find for £10-£15. Thankfully I think I've got all I need :D
Yes, they are definitely on the rise but still some bargains to be had.

You have to get used to some of the people here and some can seem a bit... direct... brash... opinionated... I'm not picking on f2.8 here as he often posts good advice but to people not used to how some others post some exchanges can appear a bit overly opinionated or negative.

I've had Nik for years but use it only sparingly and I do agree that it can produce some ott results if you just can't resist those sliders but that's true of other packages too, use whatever you use with consideration and thought and you'll get results that don't look ott. I don't think I'd pay for it but the free version costs nothing but disk space and could come in useful. Maybe.

Unusually for this site I tried Lightroom and instantly detested it and have stuck with my aging and in some ways these days a bit lacking CS5.

And a PS.
I usually go for what I see as a more natural looking end product but it does seem that some people do like a more processed look.
I use Lightroom but not too heavily on the editing. I think I used it early and just stuck with it and It's normally my starting and end point. I occasionally use NIK especially Silver FX for black and white which can be really good. Never really got into PS.

I use Lightroom but not too heavily on the editing. I think I used it early and just stuck with it and It's normally my starting and end point. I occasionally use NIK especially Silver FX for black and white which can be really good. Never really got into PS.

I could be wrong as I rejected Lightroom the same day I downloaded it but to me Lightroom seems to be more aimed at sorting, tagging, saving and retrieving images with the processing options hidden away in a corner whereas CS5 seems more specifically targeted toward processing,

As I said, I could be wrong and I probably am as so many people use it and it seems to be the de facto standard, that's just how I saw it.

I agree about Silver, it seems imo to do a reasonable job.

Last edited:
Your an argumentative fellow, so I am going to put you on ignore now as I don't want any more alerts because you have quoted me again.

I really can't be bothered getting involved with keyboard warriors.
Wondered how long it would take for you to use ignore.
Not that you'll see this...:LOL:

That's one way of putting it. Everything's fine as long as they don't disagree with his opinion.....then the "im putting you on ignore" post appears.
Must get some sort of satisfaction in letting people know rather than just hitting the button.

Last edited:
I could be wrong as I rejected Lightroom the same day I downloaded it but to me Lightroom seems to be more aimed at sorting, tagging, saving and retrieving images with the processing options hidden away in a corner whereas CS5 seems more specifically targeted toward processing,

As I said, I could be wrong and I probably am as so many people use it and it seems to be the de facto standard, that's just how I saw it.

I agree about Silver, it seems imo to do a reasonable job.
I've tried lightroom and it wasn't for me either. I dont have PS. I use affinity Pro and I like it.
I've got the Nik presets installed and I have used them and been happy with the results. I don't use it a lot, but it does have its uses.....

That's one way of putting it. Everything's fine as long as they don't disagree with his opinion.....then the "im putting you on ignore" post appears.
Must get some sort of satisfaction in letting people know rather than just hitting the button.

I think sometimes there's a tendency to react and post when perhaps it'd be better to consider and accept that not everything is a challenge to ones manhood or status and other views may actually be at least partially valid some of the time, if you look at it from anther POV.

Problem is in the seventies the photos looked great and normal! Now when I look back on them they are very brown and magenta! I’d absolutely just make them look bad in photoshop:D

**Mod hat off**
Same here although I have tried lightroom on several occasions over the years, its no secret that I also hate it with a vengeance.
CS5 does most of what I need. Affinity does the stacking, and NIK is useful for HDR.

**Mod hat on**
Come on guys play nice.
I don't want to come back in here with my mod hat on, and start clipping wings if some people can't be civil

Someone above said that everything from the 70's seems to be orange, and Brazo above said they were brown. Absolutely spot on, the two colours most popular in the pre-punk 70's. My lounge was chocolate brown, with an orange settee and table lamp. My loons were veryy widely flared and hair very long, lapels super-wide and ties of the kipper variety with psychedelic designs. Oh, happy days!

Someone above said that everything from the 70's seems to be orange, and Brazo above said they were brown. Absolutely spot on, the two colours most popular in the pre-punk 70's. My lounge was chocolate brown, with an orange settee and table lamp. My loons were veryy widely flared and hair very long, lapels super-wide and ties of the kipper variety with psychedelic designs. Oh, happy days!
We were the opposite. Chocolate brown sofas and orange walls....

Not in the 70's as I wasn't old enough but my first new car in the early 80's was a russet brown Mini 1,000. I loved that car and it was so shiny you could see your face in it. You don't see to many brown cars these days but you do see orange ones.

I recall lilac and purple were also popular for interior decor back then, and we very nearly ended up renting somewhere in exactly those colours as our first flat (it was '81, but the paint wasn't fresh).

Many 70s photos from negs will have changed colour on storage, so won't be a good guide. Also many professional pictures from that time were actually shot pretty neutral, and it was the equivalent of the phone-cam, the 110 compact camera, that produced those dreadful dark colour-shifted images associated with the era

Not in the 70's as I wasn't old enough but my first new car in the early 80's was a russet brown Mini 1,000. I loved that car and it was so shiny you could see your face in it. You don't see to many brown cars these days but you do see orange ones.
My first car was a 1974 white Vauxhall Viva :D
Had the obligatory sun strip on the windscreen with both our names on it.....oh, and a furry dash :LOL::LOL::LOL:

20220617_201154.jpg

Last edited:
My recipe is 1x 1970's polaroid camera, a few packs of film for it and have some fun, write in the margins around the edge like we used to, date, location, who's in the image etc. If you want a more "aged" look just put the photo's in a sunny window for a while. I was 12 in 1970 and didn't get my hands on a "half decent camera" until I was at work full time. The estate agents where I ran a darkroom and print room (yes at 16!) had mainly a mix of old rangefinders, compacts and polaroid land camera's but this was in 1975.

I think as has been said (in between the squabbling) most PP software will do a reasonable job of selling the illusion.

But also, it's very easy to get carried away.

I used the free Canon software when I got my first DSLR and only played about with the sliders a little bit.

Then I found out about LR and (through work) went through an AskLinda LR course. It was both good and bad. Good because I understood the capabilities a little more. Bad because I overused them.

When I look back at some of the first things I put through LR, they're massively over-processed and I wouldn't do it that way now.

All that said, what's great about LR is that it's non destructive. i.e. they're more like overlays, so your original files are untouched.

My first car was direct from the 70's (albeit late 70's).

A 1979 Vauxhall Cavalier. With a mighty 1.3 litre engine. When you opened the bonnet you could see straight through to the road the engine was so small.

Maroon. With Maroon interior.

Actual car below.

2DD97438-7568-416C-9843-3E1F0E5F851E.jpeg

Last edited:
My first car was direct from the 70's (albeit late 70's).

A 1979 Vauxhall Cavalier. With a mighty 1.3 litre engine. When you opened the bonnet you could see straight through to the road the engine was so small.

Maroon. With Maroon interior.

Actual car below.

View attachment 359645

I'll raise you in the 70's colour stakes, with my first car also a Vauxhall Cavalier (but a 2 litre GLS sportshatch :) ) - the only drawback - Pistachio Green :ROFLMAO:

(Actual Car)

ZiEWSCK.jpg

I always thought VSCO had the best film presets, shame they’ve stopped them now.

That being said I never settled on a preset, some worked for some photos and not others and I’ve tried in vain to create a film preset that works across the board.

In the end I just tweaked my default preset, adjusting the blacks and highlights in the curve and reducing sharpening and saturation. Works across the board if I want a kind of film look, but if I want a specific look such as Polaroid, Kodachrome or whatever I’ve still got the old VSCO ones, and although not fully compatible anymore they do work.

Agree about doing it in post, period lenses will help as well. But the real key will be getting the set spot on - even if there no modern cars or people, street furniture (and even the road surface) has changed loads. You can't go wrong with corrugated tin hoardings! And little period details may help....milk bottles, newspapers....

Back