Beginner 72 mm wide angle lens with macro

Edit My Images
No
Hello guys,

I have a bit weird question for you, as I am a new starter in photography and I do not know exactly how to mount this lens. I bought a Nikon D5500 camera with a 18-140mm lens and I got 72mm wide angle lens with macro added. Do you know what I need that I could mount this lens on my kit lens? Should I buy reversal ring, adapter or extension tube? Your opinion would be very helpful. Thank you.

Would you have a link to the "72mm wide angle lens with macro added" so we can see what it is? I suspect you got close up "filters" but ... I have not got a clue.

search
exactly like this

Googling to see what it is ... I can't work out if what you got is made up by two separate components. A lens for macro being one part and a wide converter being the other part or they are both permanently fitted together.

I would expect it to screw at the front of the lens where you have a very fine thread ... But your lens has filter thread size 67mm and the gadget you got is 72mm (but I am only guessing what the 72mm is). You would need a 67 to 72 step up ring. Better see that someone else verifies what I am saying about the gadget.

As long as you are aware that you got a £200-240 lens and you are going to adjust its optics with a £25 gadget. Expect quality to drop but could be fun as you are starting out.

A 72 mm focal legth lens wont be a 'wide angle' on very much but a large format 1/4 plate camera!
The angle of view of a lens depends on the lens focal length and the size of sensor behind it; my 'medium format' 120 roll film camera, has a 110mm lens that has a 'standard' angle of view, which on a full-frame 35mm film camera would be a mild tele-photol On a small, APS-C sized sensor, that would be even frther into the tle-photo region.

Are you sure you are not confusing the filter-thread diameter, with focal length? And what you have is actually a 72mm filter thread 'lens-adaptor', intended to screw onto the front of your 'kit' lens, like a sort of magnifying glass for your camera, to do 'close ups'?

If so.. it likely wont fit, your 18-140 according to specs I found n Ken-Rockwell's review has a 67mm filter ring.. ie thread o the filter is too big to fit the thread on the lens.... You MIGHT use a 'step-down' adaptor, that would have a 67mm thread to fit the lens one ed, and a 72mm thread to fit the filter the other... but.....

a) on the whole, Filter-Ring lens adapters are, frankly pretty crap! there ISN'T a nice way to say it. It's an extra element on an already compromised lens, it will do nothing to make better pictures than the lens could without it. They are a 'cheap' cop out; an 'effect filter', not a real 'lens' less a propper lens adaptor.
b) Your lens has aprox 18" close focus distance. That is the shortest distance you can get to a subjct and keep t in focus.Fitting the 'macro adapter element'; will likely screw the Auto-Focus system, and it likely just wont focus on anything... you would likely have to switch 'off' auto-focus to actually get a abject sharp in the frame. And its likely that if the adapter filter lets you focus o anything at closer-focus distance, it will be dstorting the image to do it.
c) using a step-down ring to fit 72mm filter to the lens will move the adaptr filter 1/4" further away fro the lens, likely to similarly effect focus, like a spy-glass movng forwards and back between your eye and a book, ad introduce more possible distortion, as 1/4" of the filter adaptor is hanging over the edge of the lens front element.

I acquired a little set of I think three 'macro-filters' in a lucky-bag many years ago; have played with them; they were actually half decent ones as far as I could tell; they are NO substitute for a geune 'macro' lens or a simple reversal ring for your standard lens to turn it back it front on the mount, or f you are absolutely dedicated to the genre, a set of extension rings or 'bellows' rail, which allow close focus and 'may' actually provide genuine on the sensor larger than life 'magnification', without compromising clarity intorducing extra potential distortion from added light transmitting elements i the light-path; and provide meand of actually solving close-focus issues rather than making them!

BUT, all depends on whether what you have is an actual 72mm wide-angle macro lens?!?!? that should fit on the camera in place of your existing lens, or if its a 72mm thread filter adapter that is probably the wrong size to screw onto your lens.

Add on Ed:-
270ec6e6365dbb10e850b2877f9f0b93.jpg

My advicee just stck t n the bin. If you want a wder angle of view, than the 18-140 offers, buy a wder agle lens, but be warned they are damned tricky to get to grips with. If you want macro-close ups; buy a reversal rng or get a macro capable close focus lens.
That s a filter, likely to do nothing but give you wobbly pctures, and make life hard for yourself... and yup.. appears to be a for a 72mm thread filter atatchement, not a 72mm focal length lens. Ie the wrog thread size even for your lens!

Add-on add-edd! marking says 0.45x, implying it offers a 0.45 focal length 'magnification'. Eg, it has the similar effect to reducing set focal length by more than half.... so an 18-140 set at the 18mm wide angle end of the zoom range 'should' have the effectve angle of view of an 8.1mm focal length.....

Err... yeah!!!! That is well down in the range of UWA lenses.... in fact.. have the Sigma 8-16 UWA.. at that short a focal length, even THAT supposedly rectilinear corrected ultra-wide angle is showig some pretty noteable and oft distractng 'fish-eye' distortion, as you are in the sub 10mm range where lenses that short tend to be un-corrected bow front 'fish-eyes'... and it sn't even a fsh-eye adaptor.

It may not be 'so' wobbly on a kit lens at maybe 26mm foal length, where it's magnification ratio would keep the effective focal length over 12mm'ish... but, no... just no... what that is, is a waste of time, it really is.

I really do like wide-angle photography, which is why I ow both a genuine 'full round' 180 deg field of view fish-eye and an 8-16mm UWA; And ca tell you categorically, that even with a dedicated wide or fsh-eye lens, they are damnably difficult to make work for you ad get pleasant results; working with somethng that is, sorry to again be brutally blunt, but as optically useful as a christmas cracker toy, is just NOT gong to help you explore, or enjoy those genres of the pursuit or get anything like pleasant results; and likely put you OFF even trying, as you just wont get pleasant 'results' with one... you really wont. Hard enough with the real deal lens for the job.. and THAT just isn't! orry

Last edited:
Sorry for not showing this in the beginning, just started to use this forum so do not know where exactly is everything ...But now you can see clearly what I am speaking about and yes they are separated..So in general what do I understood from you that they are just waste of time, because I will not get a good quality with these lenses and there is no need to spend money on the adapters.. What was strange to me that the camera lens and this additional lens are different wide, so why they did not included the adapter to it if together they do not mount..Anyway, what should I do, sell these to someone else and buy a normal macro lens or try that damn adapter? 19125267_1766536743363454_553656513_o.jpg 19181863_1766536766696785_262568674_o.jpg

If you know you want close-up macro images then yes I'd suggest getting a proper macro lens.

It does seem like a random thing to bundle with an incompatible lens - the seller wasn't thinking, or didn't care. You can find adapters for a couple of £ on ebay, so they might be fun to try, especially if you like that lo-fi toy camera/Lomography look. There are even Flickr groups for shots taken with things like this. Just don't expect too much (or anything).

Yep, as I saw on ebay those adapters are really cheap so I think I will give a try first to these ones and then move on the normal macro lens. As I will be taking photos of jewelry so I will need a lot of good quality. @TLR-330, @Teflon-Mike, @newbie1, @Retune thank you guys for your advise, really helpful! :)(y)

Right, first up, I have to ask, is English your first language? I don't see a location in your prole, so I don't know if there is a potential translation error here. But what you have written doesn't make sense.
the camera lens and this additional lens are different wide,
What do you mean they are different 'wide'? Are you talking the physical dimensions of the body, or are you talking about the angle of view if you hold the adapter element in front of the camera lens?
so why they did not included the adapter to it if together they do not mount..
Who is 'they'? Are you trying to say that you bought the camera and the adapter-element from the same supplier? Were they sold as a kit or bundle? Or did you pick the adapter element as an optional extra?
If all bought brand new, as a bundle, then, yes I would expect that the supplier would have taken a bit of care that the bits in the bundle do actually fit and work together; but if not, and you just picked up the camera off the shelf then started picking accessories off the shelf and putting them in the basket, it's a bit like getting home from the super-market and complaining you have bought red-wine to go with fish, and suggesting the shop aught to have told you you aught to have bought white wine instead.
Anyway, what should I do, sell these to someone else and buy a normal macro lens or try that damn adapter?
Selling on 2nd hand? It's a £20 accessory, new; is it even worth trying to re-sell 2nd hand?
If you bought brand new, and have the receipt, and think you have been mis-sold, worth taking the adapter-lens back and seeing if the shop will do a refund, if that's the route you want to go down...
As said, for what 'good' that is likely to do for your photography, I would probably stick it in one of the junk boxes in the loft!
A 67-72mm step-up ring, just to make t fit the lens you have, and 'see' if t works, is approx £10.. that gives you some sort of comparison for how good the optics of the widget are likely to be.
And you would have to spend that to even find out IF the thing even 'works' in an adapter ring, without it screwing focus or making monster distortion, which it is likely to offer to a greater or lesser degree without a mount adapter...
As said, IF you want to have a decent chance to have a go at either macro photography, or wide angle photography, then that adapter element IS likely to do more to hinder than help.
For wide angle shots without a dedicated wide angle lens, you can actually achieve a HECK of a lot using the panoramic stitch method of shooting an array of photos to cover the scene you want, and then merging them together in a photo-editor.. and that costs almost nothing!
For macro close up? You would likely have to go manual focus to achieve it even with that adapter element and mutable whether it will do much to either magnify small subjects in the frame, or allow a closer focus distance than your lens already has, to achieve the same; BUT you would likely do far better, at this stage standing back, using the zoom on your lens to frame as tightly as you can around the subject, ad if you cant get the subject sizing you want 'in camera' cropping in a photo-editor after.. I mean, your camera has what, 24Mpix sensor resolution; I have to re-size almost everything out of my DSLR down to just 1Mpix for almost ALL display purposes; with that amount of pixels, you can crop a photo down to 1/4 the frame, and still have more pixels than you would get from a not all that old older DSLR or compact, that would still be more than enough to make decent display photo's from. Not the ideal way about stuff, and trying to stretch the boundaries of the hardware you have a bit, but it is possible, and costless, and far more likely to achieve acceptable results than a bit of very questionable added glass screwed to the front of the lens!
AND if you wanted to have a crack at macro photography more seriously, then, you would likely get far better results with far fewer compromises, buying a reversing ring to mount your ordinary lens back to front on the camera body... likely they are actually cheaper than a step-down ring for the gizmo! So cheaper AND better!
As said, harsh, BUT that adapter element is unlikely to help your photography in any way shape or form.... as is its no use, it don't fit; and anything you spend on it to try and make it fit, to see if it works is to my mind chucking good money after bad; even if you make the thing fit and work, its unlikely to work well; money would be much better spend elsewhere on something much more likely to work and be useful to you.
Up to you what you want to do with it... but hey.. If its any consolation, that box I have i the attic is brim full of such things that seemed a good idea at the time! And a set of macro-adapter filters is just ONE of them.

Last edited:
Yep, as I saw on ebay those adapters are really cheap so I think I will give a try first to these ones and then move on the normal macro lens. As I will be taking photos of jewelry so I will need a lot of good quality. @TLR-330, @Teflon-Mike, @newbie1, @Retune thank you guys for your advise, really helpful! :)(y)
If you are keen to try macro-photo.. don't bother... £10 you could spend on a step down ring, would be much better spent on a reversal ring..
You will also likely start looking at ring flash's and likewise pondering the £20 cheap offerings.. again, dont bother.....
You have already spent, what, thick end of £500 on a pretty expensive camera... it is just stupid to start scrimping on 'gadgets' that your likely don't need, and wont help at this stage; and you would achieve FAR more,learning the craft of the subject; and in Macro good lighting is crucial; and IF you are now watching the pennys, learning lighting, using a desk lamp, and experimenting with back-grounds like paper or material, to get the best composition, and presentation, and possibly a little diddling photo-editor to correct colour casts if needs, will get you far further, than effing e-bay and a bunch of bad ideas that you need 'gadgets' to do stuff, rather than know how, patience practice ad SKLL.

Last edited:
I took this to be one of those converters that fits a filter thread, in this case 72mm. The complete thing gives you a wide angle effect, but you can unscrew the rear section and use it on its own as a macro adapter. While it's not to be taken seriously, you don't need to spend £10 to find out if it belongs in the bin - stepping rings start at 99p from HK ebay dealers, which will qualify you to join this dubious club: https://www.flickr.com/groups/cheapskates/ :)

The macro lens appears to have a cover screwed on (what is on the bottom of the lens as on the photo). If you unscrew that you will/should find a 72mm external thread. You then need a step-up ring (read this page so you grasp it) from 67 to 72mm. You can get rings for £0.99 from ebay. Be very gentle when you screw things to the front of the camera lens as it can be difficult to remove the adapter when screwed on too tight.

Wherever you bought the camera from, they might have thrown in the gadget to make it more attractive, e.g. they have too many gadgets and cannot get rid of them. There are small magnifying lenses that can be put in front of the camerra lens but you get what you pay for (a single lens from a reputable manufacturer would cost a lot more than the 4 lenses of my example). The macro or close up effect has a chance of giving you something to look at, the wide angle I think will be a waste of space but such is life.

Last edited:
@Teflon-Mike you noticed correctly, English is not my first language and what I meant by saying ''wide'' is a diameter of the main lens 67mm, sorry for that, I do not know yet how to call it properly in photography language and IF I understood correctly you call it ''filter thread''..
Secondly, I bought all bundle from the supplier where everything was included, I thought that it will be right to me while I will be still learning and getting skills. So I didn't pick anything myself, everything was arranged by them. I bought this from here http://slrhut.co.uk/product/ID2346C...a-With-18_55mm-VR-Lens-+-Kit-Bundle-_Black_-/ this is the same camera and bundle I got, just my lens is 18-140mm. And as I can see now that those lenses in this bundle are the same thread as main lens 55mm. So this should be suppliers problem because he put the wrong ones for me..and of course my problem because I didn't see that...:(

The 18-55 and 18-140mm lenses have different size filter thread. Ask the supplier to send you an adapter ring, I am sure they will do so and if not it is cheap enough.

Back