Obviously very challenging light conditions, Tim. Very strong light and straight into the lens but as I've just posted to Mike..droopsnoot.. we still like to see them. You're lucky if you can get good light conditions due to our all too often dull autumn/winter skies. Not such a problem for landscape as they can sometimes add to the scene but not with locos.

Much better away from that security light,Tim.

It has an atmosphere about it..very moody.
Oddly, 73096 is actually in the same place, but obviously the shot is from a different angle to get Ian Riley's Black 5 in too.
It wasn't raining this time either :)

That's nice Tim, love the cross process look on it.
Thanks Michael. I love the look of Cross Processed photos too, and have to resist the temptation to use it too often.

I quite like this image too, which almost makes 73096 look in steam (a few years off yet, unfortunately).

British Railways Standard 5 - 73096 and Black 5 - 45212
by Tim White, on Flickr

That's impressive. I had to google re. cross processing. None the wiser :confused:

That's impressive. I had to google re. cross processing. None the wiser :confused:
Cross processing is really a film thing, where you use the wrong set of chemicals in order to get a different effect to the faithful reproduction.
But from a digital pov, it's simply effects that approximate to the film processing, and I find it give some excellent effects.

Google's picasa had a cross processing filter, and the Nik collection has a bunch of them (if you use Adobe products, you can install the plugins which google gave away for free while they were disposing of Nik to dxo).

Last edited:
Cross processing is really a film thing, where you use the wrong set of chemicals in order to get a different effect to the faithful reproduction.
But from a digital pov, it's simply effects that approximate to the film processing, and I find it give some excellent effects.

Google's picasa had a cross processing filter, and the Nik collection has a bunch of them (if you use Adobe products, you can install the plugins which google gave away for free while they were disposing of Nik to dxo).

OK. Thanks,Tim. I do have the Nik Suite that Google gave away. A pretty amazing offer. I'd had it for 4 years (I think) and I'm sure the limit was five years and you got it free. At the time it was $600. I mainly use Define2 on it.

Back