747 extreme landing

Years ago I was returning from a holiday and landing at a very wet and windy Luton airport. A gust of wind caught the plane, we could feel the plane turn sideways a bit just before it touched down. We all gave the pilot a round of applause.
It was only the 2nd time I'd flown and to be honest it wasn't that scary.

That's a perfect landing in a sidewind. There are 2 choices - crab like that or come in straight but with the wings at an angle (ie one closer to the ground than the other). I'm sure there's some video somewhere of the new Super huge Airbus thing doing the same approach.

Any landing that you walk away from is a good one:LOL:

I hate flying, we were flying home from New york 3 years ago and we hit a wing vortex over the atlantic, from a plane a few miles in front..even the dollie trollies were bricking it, one was almost losing it big time and that was enough for me..people were crying, including my youngest who was terrified!..flying is the pits.

I was in a helicopter whilst in the army, we were in a hover waiting to deploy some fast ropes, we had just got the ok to throw them out when the chopper just fell out the sky!! luckily it just bounced off the ground and was ok, myself and two others fell out when it hit the ground, it was lucky cos it didnt come down totaly upright! it had tilted to one side!! when it bounced it tilted the other side after bouncing and thats when the other two guys fell out.. thing is by the time it had bounced and luched back up, they were about 30ft in the air when they creamed in!! lol.. it wasnt funny at the time but no one was seriously hurt, but we all Pooped our pants!! haha... metaphoricly of course!!! :puke:

I love flying me.... :woot:

The definition of "a good landing" is a landing equal in numbers to "good take offs"

The definition of "a good landing" is a landing equal in numbers to "good take offs"

I thought that was the definition of a good pilot....a landing is defined as a controlled crash :LOL:

:eek: :eek: :eek:

If I'd been on that I don't think I'd fly again.

:clap: Those are impressive displays of control on something so big and heavy ! (y)

Keep your head down

[YOUTUBE]zAfQwDizpRo[/YOUTUBE]

easyjet pilots dont seem to have any skill, they sort of put the plane above the airport and drop it!

I've noticed that as well, particularly recently where I have been making many flights with scheduled and budget airlines. On every occasion a landing with a scheduled airline was smooth as silk whereas the budget (Easyjet & Ryanair) felt like a controlled crash landing. :shake: Their shock absorbers and tyres must take a hell of a pounding.

Planes can take off and land on auto pilot the pilot skills come in handy though from time to time, they are true pro's

I had a landing at Bristol airport similar to the first two vdis, very windy day and it was a bit worrying to look out the window and see along the runway :eek: At the last moment we went around and did it all again but this time managed to get on the ground. This was on a BA Embraer 145 from EDI to BRS.

I had a very strange feeling when coming in to land a manchester a couple of years ago, the back wheels were on the runway but I could tell we weren't going in a straight line, it felt like the wheels were but the plane was twisted to the left, just before he dropped the nose wheel it swung round to the right and I started breathing again

It is true: any landing you can walk away from is considered a good landing.

If, of course, you can use the plane again afterwards, it is considered an exceptional landing.

:D

This was on the news at 10 last week, I bet there were some wobbly knees walking back to the terminus :eek: [YOUTUBE]W4OxGkmvPng[/YOUTUBE]

I have had a few hairy landings and a couple of fly arounds one in a jumbo attempting to land at Heathrow never did find out why he aborted the landing I remember thinking I never heard the undercarriage come down and lock one in a blizzard in Aberdeen plus a couple of aborted take offs all character buiding stuff. Severe turbulance landing nose down and drop the thing on the runway and hope. If I had been on that plane mind it would be a long time before I flew again.

Bill

Back