760D / 70D / 7D Mark 2 ?

smr

Name
Joel
Edit My Images
No
Hi all,

I bought my first DSLR at Christmas, which is a 700D and I do love it but having been to shoot motorsports at Donington last month it was quite apparant how slow it is to autofocus on the cars. Whilst Motorsport and action photography isn't something I'd be doing all of the time I would prefer a body which has more AF points, which brings me to this question - which should I upgrade to out of these cameras ?

I predominantly shoot landscapes though, I'd say 70-80 percent landscape and then 20-30 percent action photography - motorsport / general sport / air shows etc.

Would the 19 AF points in the 760D/70D be enough for me? I'm guessing that with the 24mp and new sensor in the 760 it'd be better at landscapes than the other cameras too?

Thanks for any advice.

Joel

Tracking ability of the electronics of the camera (and panning skill of the user) is more important that chasing a body with more AF points.

As an extreme example: the 7D Mark 2 has 65 AF points but I think you'll be hard pushed to find more than a handful of people who use its tracking function in 65 point AF mode. Many will use single AF or single AF with expansion.

The price of the 7D Mark 2 is around double the 70D and more than double the 760D so what is your budget?

If budget is constrained, go for a body that does well with what you do 80% of the time and give some consideration in your choice to the other 20%.

What lens were you using for the motorsport
I was going to ask that. In some situations the lens can make more of a difference than the body.

Hi this isn't a bad lens in the iq stakes. My best upgrade for my old 550d was a 70-200is f4L

I bought a 70D when it first came out and compared to the 7D MkI I had at the time I was more than pleased with it. The AF speed is very good and I've used it quite a lot for wildlife shots where the AF has similar needs to motorsport. When the 7D MkII was released I passed the 70D on to the wife and I've been using the 7D MkII since. I've got to admit I'm having a hard time putting the 7D down and using anything else at the minute, I've just paired it with a new 100-400 L II and the results are amazing. I've recently started shooting more videos of bands and have 'borrowed' the 70D back off the wife for this as I prefer the audio output of the 70D rather than the 7D MkII for some reason. For motorsport I would think the 70D would be more than good enough and with the STM lens you'll be able to get the best out of its video capabilities as well. If you want the best allrounder though I'd have to say the 7D MkII would be your best bet.

I've got the 70D and it packs a punch. FPS, metering and focusing seems to be on point and quicker than cameras I've used before in a similar price range (1100D, 60D, 6D, D7100). I've read that the 70D has been given the same metering system as the original 7D and according to many sources the 7D was a brilliant camera for high-speed shooting.

I guess it all really comes down to your budget but I'd personally take the 760D off the list.

[QUOTE="I guess it all really comes down to your budget but I'd personally take the 760D off the list.[/QUOTE]

What leaves you to that decision? I am trying to work our 70D v 760D....both are same price. I was looking at 750D but there is a slight step to the 760D for video.

70D gives more AEB options, more ISO control, Anti Reflection coating and some weather proofing.
760D seems better in video and live view modes (AI Servo), and the videos are MP4 format (not MOV as in 70D)

Back