760d or 70d

Name
Chris
Edit My Images
Yes
Looking to upgrade soon. I've got a 550d which I use with a grip. I said to myself I'd wait for the 760d which looks great and a good step up from the 550d. However I am getting inpatient waiting for it to be released! I know the xxD bodies are meant to be better than the xxxD Bodies but there really doesn't seem like there is much between them....is there?

It can't be that long to wait now and the comparison is one that a lot of us are interested in as the 760D looks like quite an upgrade. I pondered this earlier this year but as I found a reasonable deal on a 70D I traded my 550D in for it. I can promise you there is a great deal of difference. One of my favourite posts here was when someone said "it's a lot more camera" and it is. You have much more control, certainly over the 550D, as well as the extra focus points, touch screen and lens micro adjust. The 760D may close this gap or even surpass it so I would just hang on and check the reviews and comparisons since it's so close. The sensor is likely to be the main point of interest, the 70D doesn't of itself give higher quality images just because it has a few extra megapixels but the quality and flexibility of the camera tends to lead you in that direction.

Last edited:
Thank you for that it's appreciated, you have even answered the questions I didn't know I had lol. I'll wait and see, I just needed to let off some purchasing steam AKA GAS! Out of interest what deal did you get on your 70d?

It was one of those classed as reconditioned but is effectively new, presumably a return. I paid £585.00 I think but traded in two bodies, one a 550D, and a lens so I paid £250.00. The trade in wasn't great, I could probably have done better selling here or eBay but the other body was a 1000D and the lens a 28-135 which wouldn't exactly have flown off the shelf and I wanted to get it done in one go. I bought it from Camera World in London who had it sent over to them from their Chelmsford shop.

I had exactly the same thoughts as you when I heard about the 760D just after I'd decided to go for a 70D. I'd originally planned to just trade the 1000D and the lens as the 550D is a lovely little camera but as funds were low and I figured the 550D would just be left languishing in the cupboard I let it all go.

Last edited:
I traded in a 7D for my 70D when it was first released and I was very pleasantly surprised with it. The 70D, for me at least, turned out to be far better than my 7D for the kind of shooting I was doing. I've recently gone up to a 7D MkII but I've handed over the 70D to the wife as it is just too good to sell on. I now 'borrow' the 70D on occasions for shooting video as I prefer the audio control and using the STM lenses with it. I've tried the 7D MkII for video but prefer the output from the 70D TBH. Having just looked through the specs of the 760D and having used the 70D already I have to say I wouldn't swap my 70D for a new 760D. The focus system of both bodies seems similar, the MP count of the 760D is more but not Dual-Pixel so the AF might be slower in Liveview and the 70D shoots up to 1/8000 whereas the 760D shoots to 1/4000. With the prices of a good used 70D these days I would snap one up straight away rather than waiting to make a decision.

Thanks for that helpful summary, it looks like I'm going shopping when I next get paid!

You won't be disappointed. I have to say it was a steepish but pleasurable learning curve for me coming from a 550D. The booklet that comes with it is pretty basic so you need to download the full one or buy a decent book.

Back