7d II

Bloody typical! My 7d arrived today (not even opened it yet) and I'm already thinking of upgrading. This hobby is killing me!

Don't worry about it.

There is nothing official in that post, just speculation about something that may or may not happen.

Bloody typical! My 7d arrived today (not even opened it yet) and I'm already thinking of upgrading. This hobby is killing me!

Ive recently got mine but I would not worry canonrumours site are just guessing
Canon hasnt announced anything yet and when it does come out some time in the future it will be a lot more expensive than the 7D is at the mo
The 7D is an amazing camera you will love it:)

I know it's not official Richard, but it's interesting to talk about...

As I say, saving up for a 5dIII but price dependant, i'd be happy if these specs were on the 7dII

Couldn't find a thread already about the most recent info released, So i thought i'd post up.

http://www.canonrumors.com/2012/11/canon-eos-7d-mark-ii-information-cr1/

similar AF as 1dx
similar ISO performance as 1dx
21mp

I personally would be happy if this was true. I'm currently saving up for a 5d III, but if the price was right of this, I think i'd be happy to stay with a crop sensor...

would be brilliant if its true but the ISO performance will never be as good as a full frame, but the 7D is excellent anyway at high ISO if you get the exposure right:)

It sounds entirely plausible to me.

And it will be a fabulous camera, more like a replacement 1D series, and will be much more expensive. The out-going 1D series is the clue to how Canon is reshaping it's higher end DSLRs. I expect a super hi-res 1DX/5D3 will be along shortly too.

Current 7D is a bargain right now, and I'm probably going to buy one, as is the 5D2. Sure the newer cameras will be better, but way less affordable.

would be brilliant if its true but the ISO performance will never be as good as a full frame, but the 7D is excellent anyway at high ISO if you get the exposure right:)

Oh yeah, I don't expect it to mimic the 1dx exactly in noise performance, but anything close would be great.

the AF system intrigues me to. I've only heard good things about the 1dx / 5d III

I sincerely hope they don't go to 21MP

Out of interest, how come? what are the disadvantages of more MP other than file size? (sorry if a stupid question)

It sounds entirely plausible to me.

And it will be a fabulous camera, more like a replacement 1D series, and will be much more expensive. The out-going 1D series is the clue to how Canon is reshaping it's higher end DSLRs. I expect a super hi-res 1DX/5D3 will be along shortly too.

Current 7D is a bargain right now, and I'm probably going to buy one, as is the 5D2. Sure the newer cameras will be better, but way less affordable.

Very true, I shoot a lot of sport, so don't think the 5d II is best suited to my needs, and the current 7d doesn't seem enough of a step from my 550d, so I think it's best I hold out.

But as you say, the current 7d / 5d II are very reasonably priced considering what you get.

Out of interest, how come? what are the disadvantages of more MP other than file size? (sorry if a stupid question)

Pixel density on a crop sensor can lead to an increase in noise

Pixel density on a crop sensor can lead to an increase in noise

It's a theory. Can do, and often does, but the same total amount of light falls on a sensor of a given size, so if it can be efficiently collected, and efficiently amplified, then pixel density should make no difference.

Nikon D800 is a good example of the latest technology. With 36mp, theory says it should have poor noise performance, but in fact it's exceptionally good. Only drawback is large file sizes, but 20-ish mp shouldn't be a problem either way.

Oh right.

I've not heard of that before!

I guess Canon wouldn't release a new higher MP sensor if they didn't have the tech to control noise? either that or more MP = easier to 'hype up' from a marketing perspective I guess.

I've been waiting for an upgrade to the 7D for the past couple of years. In my opinion, the current model has too many failings (mainly with regard to image quality).

If Canon can produce a crop body (I'd be happy if they stuck at 18mp) with an AF system and ISO performance that approaches the 5DMKIII, I'll be right at the front of the queue! (y)

I'd rather its 12mp, but everything else sounds promising. It could be a replacement for my 1d3 if VF is as large or larger (if not I couldn't care less about it)

Looks like you're gonna be disappointed then. It's surely going to be 20-something mp and an APS-C viewfinder, all things being equal, is never going to be more than 1.6x smaller than FF. Unless is electronic :eek:

What's the problem anyway? It's only a viewfinder.

I've been waiting for an upgrade to the 7D for the past couple of years. In my opinion, the current model has too many failings (mainly with regard to image quality).

If Canon can produce a crop body (I'd be happy if they stuck at 18mp) with an AF system and ISO performance that approaches the 5DMKIII, I'll be right at the front of the queue! (y)
Disagree about the 7Ds failings but do agree that the 7D is not as good as the 5DMKIII at high ISO but its still has excellent IQ up to ISO 800 and pretty good at 1600:)

If the leaked specs are true this upgrade will be just about perfect for me. I've been tempted by the 1DX, but the price of that is something of a barrier.

I do wonder how many will switch from 7D to 7D2, I'd certainly consider it. Rumoured specs of dual Digic V processors should help alleviate any additional noise by a slightly higher resolution... The dual Digic IV's in the existing 7D do a sterling job as it is, when the image is correctly exposed as others have said.

Fingers crossed this rumour is true - it may finally prompt Nikon to announce a replacement to the D300s. Ive been waiting a while!

Ash. said:
Couldn't find a thread already about the most recent info released, So i thought i'd post up.

http://www.canonrumors.com/2012/11/canon-eos-7d-mark-ii-information-cr1/

similar AF as 1dx
similar ISO performance as 1dx
21mp

I personally would be happy if this was true. I'm currently saving up for a 5d III, but if the price was right of this, I think i'd be happy to stay with a crop sensor...

A crop sensor is not going to have the same iso performance as the 1Dx unless the technology is radically different.

Ash. said:
Have a read of the whole thread.

Well I'm commenting on

"similar ISO performance as 1dx"

In order to get similar iso performance as the 1DX canon are going to have to have a new design of chip.

Not sure what are getting at?

Stop worrying about it. Let the others fool themselves into thinking it will improve their photography.. just go and enjoy your new camera whether they release a 7DII or not.

Stop worrying about it. Let the others fool themselves into thinking it will improve their photography.. just go and enjoy your new camera whether they release a 7DII or not.
Bst advice yet. I've long concluded that my current cameras are far more capable than their operator ever will be. I will upgrade when one of them throws in the towel.

I'd rather its 12mp, but everything else sounds promising. It could be a replacement for my 1d3 if VF is as large or larger (if not I couldn't care less about it)

Interesting this, as I'm looking for a replacement for my own 1D mk3 that I use for motorsport.....decisions, decisions!

Rob

Should have a similar pixel density to the Nikon D800, which isn't too shabby at high ISO. Hopefully it will maintain it's high fps rate and improve further upon AF performance. Wifi, HDR and multi focal length micro-adjustment will also be nice.

As long as Canon don't go mad by raising pixel count, add Wi-fi, 1DX quality AF with more points, lower noise, 10fps, articulating touch-screen, continuous AF during movie shooting, they're on to a winner, especially as it will be aimed at wildlife and sports shooters.

Looks like you're gonna be disappointed then. It's surely going to be 20-something mp and an APS-C viewfinder, all things being equal, is never going to be more than 1.6x smaller than FF. Unless is electronic :eek:

What's the problem anyway? It's only a viewfinder.

You would think that adding a little magnifying glass (or whatever the proper name is) wouldn't be difficult if they wanted... It makes composing and framing much easier, just like some of you are raving about having a large LCD :LOL:

I won't be surprised it's 20mp, and you have to shoot at f/5.6 or under to benefit from all of that even if there is fairly little noise. Only a few selected L lenses and primes are that good, and notably the long L primes if this is actually 'serious' wildlife body. If they made 12mp, then 1dx like performance would be closer to hand, and it is plenty for any wedding or sports event.

You would think that adding a little magnifying glass (or whatever the proper name is) wouldn't be difficult if they wanted... It makes composing and framing much easier

I can't see how such a tiny increase in the size of the viewfinder can help much at all. Anyhow, at least the 7D's viewfinder is 100%, not like the 1D MkIII.

Very interesting, hate to think what the price will be based on what Canon has been offering recently.

Think I will go 1D4, proven camera.

I can't see how such a tiny increase in the size of the viewfinder can help much at all. Anyhow, at least the 7D's viewfinder is 100%, not like the 1D MkIII.

It is more or less 100%. Sorry to disappoint you again. I am tired of overpriced peeping holes, electronic or otherwise.

Very interesting, hate to think what the price will be based on what Canon has been offering recently.

Think I will go 1D4, proven camera.

Without any shadow of a doubt it will be ridiculous to start with (£2000 in UK RRP), but hopefully will start falling like 7D did.
I would quite like to put my hands on 1D4 but I just don't see what will cause the price to drop well below 2.5-3k (1Dx is 5k). At that price 5D3 is an obvious choice.

Without any shadow of a doubt it will be ridiculous to start with (£2000 in UK RRP), but hopefully will start falling like 7D did.

It's going to be a lot more than that if the 22Mp/10fps rumours are true. Think more along the lines of the 5DIII; ie £2,500-3000

The 1D3's viewfinder is smaller than a 7D's finder.;)

The 1D MkIII's viewfinder is larger. You haven't taken the sensor size into account.
Yes I have, and it's smaller. Not by much, but it is.

The 1D3 ends up 0.61x (0.76x magnification, and it's a 1.28 or something crop).

The 7D is 0.63x (1x magnification, 1.6x crop).

That's why I always find people talking about 1D finders being big hilarious. They're smaller than (7D, D300 and 7000) finders :LOL:
Not to confuse them with the 1Ds finders, those are relatively opulent (0.76x where the 5D and D3/800/4 are 0.7).

Last edited:
Back