7d mk2 or 1dmk4

Name
Martin
Edit My Images
No
Hi, so seeing as these two bodies can be had for about the same money (secondhand ofcourse for the 1d), which would you buy and why.
Thanks.

Now here is the thing.

Canon refuse to fix a model when it gets past a certain age.

You have been warned.

Secondhand 7dmk2? Personally having owned both I'd recommend the 7dmk2 just for the more modern customization....close run thing though.
P.s I still have the 7dmk2.

I sold my remaining 1D4 when I got the 7D2. A few months later I sold the 7D2 and bought another 1D4....some like it, I didn't.

Bob

Like I already tried to say.

Canon wont fix a 10d 20d, 30d, 450d or older,

Or any 1d older than the 1 D X.

I can't speak for the 1D4 but I recently jumped to full frame from the 7D (mk1). The difference is night and day almost literally, I'm unlikely to buy a crop ever again. The 7D mk2 is obviously a better performer than it's predecessor but I should've gone full frame instead of getting the 7.

Why the 1dmk4, why not a newer model from the 5 series, second hand?

My CPS account still shows my 1D4 being supported?

That is membership thing for pro`s, the authorised repair centre fixation would not do my one so I don't know.

But I would imagine its next on the list of models to completely drop from support

I suspect that some degree of crop factor is desirable?

Yes, I get this point totally. It will always be a trade off between image quality and reach though, I think it's something you just have to adapt to. I've also found that cropping a full frame file in photoshop retains far more detail than my 7D ever will. My 7D seems to be a particularly nosiy/mushy copy and granted, the mk2 should be an improvement on that.

Maybe I'm a little biased, after my own 7D experience which wasn't good but it's full frame for me from now on, best thing I ever did for my photography.

:)

Many thanks for your replies they have been most helpful. Just to clarify things a little, we already use the 1d series bodies and now find ourselves needing another one. We were considering the 7dmk2 due to its lighter weight and using lighter lenses. We have owned 5d's before (mk1,2 and 3) and have always been disappointed with the overall feel and performance when compared to the 1d series.

The I have had ,owned and used both of them ,I still get better image quality from a 1Dmkiii ,yep there old but built like tanks and stupid money these days .had a 1D4 but it suffered from a.f probs so got a full refund and have now settled on a used 1D3 .,will wait for the mk4 or 1dx models to drop in price if I ever need to upgrade .

Word of caution if possible buy used from WEX they offer a full years warranty on there used cameras worth the few bob extra you pay

Many thanks for your replies they have been most helpful. Just to clarify things a little, we already use the 1d series bodies and now find ourselves needing another one. We were considering the 7dmk2 due to its lighter weight and using lighter lenses. We have owned 5d's before (mk1,2 and 3) and have always been disappointed with the overall feel and performance when compared to the 1d series.

Nothing has the overall feel and performance of the 1D series, they cost several times more money and built like tanks.

From the little experience I've had with a 5Diii, I'd say the handling is very similar to my 7DII. Sounds like you might do better with a 1DIV or even a 1DX.

I thought you went back to another 80D :thinking:
Kept it 3 weeks then sold it on ,missed the 1D to much ,settled on a mk3 due to liking the results once your hooked your hooked

I was in the same boat just after the 7Dii came out as I wanted an upgrade for my 7D. I chose the 1Div after trying both and have been very happy with it. I sold the 7D after but ended up getting another shortly after as I needed 2 bodies for football. I then picked up a 7Dii second hand and sold the 7D. Having had both the 1Div and 7Dii for over a year I can say they complement each other very well but are better at different things and both mine get about the same amount of use.

Most wildlife and birds the 7Dii wins with the extra x.3 of reach, quieter and silent shutter option (1Div is very noisy), being able to program a button for +1/=2 EV when in M is supper useful for birds in flight, lighter to carry without a grip (I walk my dogs with it and a 150-600C quite often) it will also produce usable files at ISO12,800. Auto focus takes a bit of getting used to for moving subjects.
I do a fair bit of dragonflies in flight and the 1Div is my first choice as the noise is better between ISO800 to ISO1600 where the 7Dii starts to take over, it is heavier but this almost helps when following them.
For motorsport and football I will take the 1Div as it never fails to deliver, it is so simple to use, AF seems to just work better and faster, battery goes on for ever, it is more robust, not afraid of rain, hit rate is better.
Equestrian. Rare for me but I have too occasionally I will reluctantly take the 7Dii only because the shutter on the 1Div is so loud and has spooked horses doing dressage.
Landscape either work though the 1Div does produce lovely files so would just edge ahead.

Lenses used on both and work really well 24-105L, 70-200f2.8ii, Sigma 120-300s, Sigma 150-600c and Canon 300f4 and 500f4

Whilst owning the 1Div I have also owned a 5Dii and 5Diii both were sold as the 1Div seemed to do everything better.

If I had to sell one it would be a very difficult choice and one of the reasons I have not tried a 1Dxii, 5Div or Sony A9.

^^^ Excellent, well informed post.

Thanks Martin, some excellent info there. You may have swayed the balance :)

Yep sold my 5D3 to get a 1DIV and it was way better for me, a brilliant body indeed and certainly still holds up today.

Back