7d mk2 possible trade to mirror Less.

Name
stephen
Edit My Images
Yes
As in the title I have a 7d mk2 which I very rarely use now ( also have a 5d mk3 which I use all the time)
I am thinking about selling the 7d2 to get something smaller to carry about when the 5d3 is inconvenient.
Any advice or suggestions very welcome ...

Tbh ide just like something a bit smaller to carry about.
I had a sony a7 a while ago but moved back to canon.that was nice & small.
Ide like something probably with an adapter to use my current L glass.
Don't really want to spend to much just thought about selling the 7d2 to fund it really.

Well depending on how important adapting your Canon lenses is, I think that narrows it down to only Sony bodies, as I'm not aware that Fuji, Olympus or Panasonic have adaptors. Putting massive L lenses on some of the smaller bodies might be really unbalanced as well.

If size is the main requirement then something like a Panasonic GX80 or Olympus EM10 with a 14-42 might fit the bill.

Fuji have some smaller bodies as well like the XT20 which I heard is very nice, and has an APS-C sensor :)

Last edited:
Not really any suggestions just musing.
You will have a number of canon lenses so logic would suggest a canon m series .However they do not have a viewfinder so you would need both an EVF( unless you can live without a viewfinder) and a mount adapter to use your existing lenses, and by now it is getting expensive.
Perhaps a rangefinder type camera might do the job ( Fuji x100) or as Lojikdub says a little fuji with a 27mm lens or one of their smaller zooms

Well depending on how important adapting your Canon lenses is, I think that narrows it down to only Sony bodies, as I'm not aware that Fuji, Olympus or Panasonic have adaptors. Putting massive L lenses on some of the smaller bodies might be really unbalanced as well.

If size is the main requirement then something like a Panasonic GX80 or Olympus EM10 with a 14-42 might fit the bill.

Fuji have some smaller bodies as well like the XT20 which I heard is very nice, and has an APS-C sensor :)
Amazing.
I get accused of making up the fact that people ignore Canon mirrorless crop bodies.
Very nice too, better sensor than the OP’s 7d2. ;)

My take on it is that you only really get the benefit of smaller mirrorless bodies if you use the lenses designed for the system.

If you just want a smaller body to use with your existing lenses, what about one of the entry Canons?

A Fuji X100 would be a good option, as it uses it own lens.

Have you thought about a fixed lens like a Fuji X100F?

You could always go back to Sony, Canon EOS-M as others have suggested - or my temptation would be chop in the 5D and 7D and now you're in EOS R territory!!!

Basically same as others have suggested. With added options :LOL:

Not really any suggestions just musing.
You will have a number of canon lenses so logic would suggest a canon m series .However they do not have a viewfinder so you would need both an EVF( unless you can live without a viewfinder) and a mount adapter to use your existing lenses, and by now it is getting expensive.
What???

I'd better send back my M5 then - it seems it must be a fake :p

Just for the avoidance of doubt, The Canon EOS M5 and M50 have a viewfinder built in, The M3 and M6 will accept a viewfinder attachment. :banana:

The 5,6 and 50 all have the sensor from the 80d which is the best APSC sensor Canon have ever made, head on over to the M series owners thread - there's some great work being done with these cameras.:snaphappy:

as Phil suggests the eos M SERIES is probably your cheapest option . but panasonic and olympus MFT systems will also take adaptors allowing you to use your lenses albeit manually , however there own brand lenses are surprisingly cheap even new and have the benefit of 2x crop and a super sensor system plus extreme lightness

As in the title I have a 7d mk2 which I very rarely use now ( also have a 5d mk3 which I use all the time)
I am thinking about selling the 7d2 to get something smaller to carry about when the 5d3 is inconvenient.
Any advice or suggestions very welcome ...

.... It depends on how physically small you want to go and what subjects you like to shoot.

You also say that you already own some Canon L lenses and those of course are high quality and I suggest worth to consider keeping.

You actually have several options but each, not surprisingly, with different costs!

MIRRORLESS EOS M5 OPTION :
A very compact camera body with either its own range of very compact EF-M lenses or mounting EF lenses via an adapter.
Its APSC sensor delivers the same image quality as the 7D-2 and 80D when EF lenses are mounted. I have no experience of IQ with the EF-M lenses.
The M5 Mark II is very strongly rumoured to be announced early next year.
It is a relatively inexpensive option.
Having owned both a 7D-2 and a M5, I personally found the M5 controls too small to be comfortable and unbalanced with any lens bigger than a 100mm but others may feel differently.

MIRRORLESS EOS R OPTION :
In between the sizes of the 5D and M5 and able to mount both EF and EF-S lenses but not EF-M lenses with choice of 3 adapters.
Full-Frame 30Mp image quality on a 5D-4 sensor.
Buying one is buying into a very promising EOS mirrorless future.
A relatively expensive option.
I have replaced my M5 with the EOS R in the last few days and have no regrets.

The 7D-2 is much more of an action camera than the 5D series but you say you rarely use yours currently. Neither the EOS R nor M5 are great action cameras (sports and wildlife) but that's not to say you can't have a go and sometimes succeed.

A.N.OTHER MIRRORLESS SYSTEM :
There are several choices but quite a few reports of them not adapting so well to the Canon lenses, so it might be best to sell everything Canon and start from scratch.
Also a relatively expensive option depending on what you choose.

I have owned 70D, 7D-2, M5, 5D-4, 1DX-2, EOS R and so ask me if you think I can answer any more questions. All my lenses are Canon L.

HTH

Last edited:
X-T20 with the 18-55. Small, light, easy to use and great IQ (probably better than the 7D2), definitely better in poor light. I went from 7D2 to X-T2, but if you're keeping your 5D and OK with a 2nd system, then that would be my choice.

The new Canon mirrorless isn't going to be that much smaller, and a lot more expensive, as it's FF.

I do use EF lenses on my M43 cameras via a recently arrived secondhand Metabones Speedbooster Ultra. On my Lumix GH3, I can adjust the aperture in camera and the camera will autofocus just fine, if not quite as quickly, for my specific lenses, except for a Canon 50mm II (sometimes focuses, sometimes not) or my Tamron 90mm Macro lens (totally inaccurate) . They also work on my Olympus EM1 Mk1 but I have yet to test this combination properly, autofocus might be better as this camera has a hybrid phase detect and contrast detect focus system. The Metabones isn't cheap, even secondhand, but I've been very impressed with the performance so far, especially with the Tamron 24-70mm F2.8 VR, which becomes an effective 34-100mm F2 lens. I no longer need to worry about buying some very expensive long reach M43 glass for my shots where fast focus and the extra weight of my existing EF lenses aren't a concern! The extra stop of light the Metabones provides is the killer bonus.

as Phil suggests the eos M SERIES is probably your cheapest option . but panasonic and olympus MFT systems will also take adaptors allowing you to use your lenses albeit manually , however there own brand lenses are surprisingly cheap even new and have the benefit of 2x crop and a super sensor system plus extreme lightness

You can get AF adapters for Canon EF to MFT, been pondering on one for a while myself just to mess about with some of the cheaper Canon lenses I never got to try. Viltrox do a couple, the 'EF-M1' is a straight up AF adapter, it will work with most EF and EF-S lenses, not near as great as they would AF with Canon bodies, but I've seen some good results on YT. Then there's the EF-M2 Viltrox, this one is a focal reducer, pretty much turns your M43 sensor into more like an APSC, you gain a stop of light and 0.71x FL. For example the Canon 50mm f/1.8 become a 35mm f/1.3 [FF equiv]- that lens + the focal reducer costs less than £200! Not bad for such a nice end lens. You can also 'hack' EF-S lenses to fit, you have to get the saw out for that though

X-T20 with the 18-55. Small, light, easy to use and great IQ (probably better than the 7D2), definitely better in poor light. I went from 7D2 to X-T2, but if you're keeping your 5D and OK with a 2nd system, then that would be my choice.

The new Canon mirrorless isn't going to be that much smaller, and a lot more expensive, as it's FF.

.... The Canon EOS R mirrorless is a lot smaller and slimmer than the 7D-2, and yes it is more expensive. Check this size comparison website : https://camerasize.com/compare/#568,799

The Fuji X-T20 and Canon M5 are virtually the same size - One is ~5mm taller and the other is ~5mm wider.

@stevegixer Stephen, which camera you choose should surely be primarily driven by what subjects you want shoot with it and you haven't told us.

Last edited:
I mainly do landscape waterfall sort of stuff tbh.
Occasionally birds but not that often.

I would wait for a 2nd or 3rd of EOS R. Just saying this is sort of beta test release... I expect EOS M to die fairly soon. They will just make a smaller sensor version of EOS R one day and that will be it.

Even if I don't sell the 7d mk2 I still fancy something smaller to carry about.....

Not to expensive lol

I really don’t understand the assumption that the EOS M series will ‘die’ and if it’s to be replaced by a ‘APSC EOS R’ how the f*** is that not the same as a new EOS M?

I may be being somewhat slow? But if we accept that Canon will have 2 sizes of mirrorless*, the only reason they’re ‘killing’ the M series is because forum numpties never accepted it was a perfectly good system.

*and why wouldn’t they, they’ve had FF and APSC DSLRs for about 15 years, with no sign of a change to that.

Not to mention that they’ve only just released the best and most expensive M mount lens - odd behaviour for a camera that’s on its deathbed.

I really don’t understand the assumption that the EOS M series will ‘die’ and if it’s to be replaced by a ‘APSC EOS R’ how the f*** is that not the same as a new EOS M?

I may be being somewhat slow? But if we accept that Canon will have 2 sizes of mirrorless*, the only reason they’re ‘killing’ the M series is because forum numpties never accepted it was a perfectly good system.

*and why wouldn’t they, they’ve had FF and APSC DSLRs for about 15 years, with no sign of a change to that.

Not to mention that they’ve only just released the best and most expensive M mount lens - odd behaviour for a camera that’s on its deathbed.

From what I've heard or read about, there's an M5 mkII coming early '19, and possibly an M6 mkII and more lenses, so I don't get this whole demise of the Canon M system talk either. But don't you know? Dslr is completely dead too, and how long have people around forums been ringing the death bell for MFT? Still going strong enough, half the youtube vloggers across the globe are using the system for video and many of us are happy enough still shooting with it for stills ... A couple new FF ML cameras show up and suddenly all else is done, it's laughable.

here we go:
https://www.canonrumors.com/at-least-two-new-eos-m-cameras-coming-in-2019-cr2/
https://www.techradar.com/news/canon-rumored-to-have-two-further-eos-m-models-on-the-way

Last edited:
From what I've heard or read about, there's an M5 mkII coming early '19, and possibly an M6 mkII and more lenses, so I don't get this whole demise of the Canon M system talk either. But don't you know? Dslr is completely dead too, and how long have people around forums been ringing the death bell for MFT? Still going strong enough, half the youtube vloggers across the globe are using the system for video and many of us are happy enough still shooting with it for stills ... A couple new FF ML cameras show up and suddenly all else is done, it's laughable.

here we go:
https://www.techradar.com/news/canon-rumored-to-have-two-further-eos-m-models-on-the-way

Even the first article suggests that a ‘weakness’ of the M system is that the m lenses have no ‘upgrade path for M lenses to be used on R cameras’. Until the R, there was no way of using EFS lenses on FF cameras, again, for almost 15 years!

I’ll expect a short fast telephoto M lens and possibly a 16mm too. Canon were content that the M market was soccermoms who were content with slow zooms, but now they appear to have got the message that photographers are actually interested in cameras without mirrors.

Even the first article suggests that a ‘weakness’ of the M system is that the m lenses have no ‘upgrade path for M lenses to be used on R cameras’. Until the R, there was no way of using EFS lenses on FF cameras, again, for almost 15 years!

I’ll expect a short fast telephoto M lens and possibly a 16mm too. Canon were content that the M market was soccermoms who were content with slow zooms, but now they appear to have got the message that photographers are actually interested in cameras without mirrors.

Well, it's similar to the MFT side, with Panasonic concentrating more on their new FF ML early next year, the know-it-alls predict they will completely abandon M43. Yet they also announced M43's fastest wide zoom to date in the PL 10-25 f/1.7, and their spokes-people have said they have no plans whatsoever to ditch M43, rumours of a GH6 trio, each with different stats also pretty hot among videographers. So long as the video crowd keep using them, because to date, the Panasonic line up are still the best 4K non Cine bodies with IBIS, we will get more new lenses.

I spent most of my evening here researching lenses from the 60's - 80's :D let all the high tech gadget s*** just blow right over me. If I have a little camera that takes a decent image and there's plenty of lenses to choose from, it's not like I'll run out of options any time soon, no need to try keep up with the big spenders. If you can take pleasant images that people who matter can admire, people who have no clue about the gear you use even when you use it in their company, does it make much difference?

Last edited:

here we go:

I bet M5II is coming as it was likely designed 3-4 years ago and just coming of the pipeline. These are the typical timeframes. More lenses? Unless they were already designed and already in the making.... There won't be an announcement, it will just slowly fizzle out like Sony A mount cameras, or like the big 4/3 version. DSLR is probably headed there too but it will be a little slower mainly due to market size. So why would EOS M be dead? - How many different mounts would you think canon finance and marketing departments want to cater for? How about no clear upgrade path for M user once dSLR is gone? It doesn't work. That's why they will either find a way to stick M lens on RF mount, or make RF-S. Once that is out, it will be obvious. Of course I don't have any insider knowledge but the writing is on the wall.

I bet M5II is coming as it was likely designed 3-4 years ago and just coming of the pipeline. These are the typical timeframes. More lenses? Unless they were already designed and already in the making.... There won't be an announcement, it will just slowly fizzle out like Sony A mount cameras, or like the big 4/3 version. DSLR is probably headed there too but it will be a little slower mainly due to market size. So why would EOS M be dead? - How many different mounts would you think canon finance and marketing departments want to cater for? How about no clear upgrade path for M user once dSLR is gone? It doesn't work. That's why they will either find a way to stick M lens on RF mount, or make RF-S. Once that is out, it will be obvious. Of course I don't have any insider knowledge but the writing is on the wall.

.... I think you miss the fundamental point of the EOS M range and that is that it is designed as a very high quality and very practical compact and furthermore it is able to additionally use lenses from the very extensive EF and EF-S range.

From a marketing point of view it actually makes it easier to market because it (the M range) sits so comfortably within the whole EOS system. As a direct consequence Canon are able to offer a very broad spectrum of products. All they have to market is EOS < It is the brand which is marketed, the rest is just products within. [I am a retired-but-hardwired professional in such subjects].

It's not a question of a consumer being able to choose only one part of the whole EOS system (the M) but the D-SLR and R components can be additionally chosen. Photographers don't have to upgrade and anyway are also allowed to use more than one type of camera!

Last edited:

Why would they plan on releasing another M body, let alone 2! without more lenses incoming? The old 4/3 system was phased out for very different reasons, mirrorless was a completely new movement and Olympus and Panasonic took the risk that people wanted smaller, lighter systems and went with it. Mirrorless lenses do not do backward compatibility to mirrored cameras, but it can work the other way. As long as people keep buying the smaller, neater, more affordable ML bodies, they aren't going anywhere. Canon APSC dslr is more likely to be phased out than the M line, we've heard the rumours [which oft end up being right] about 2 new M bodies, but where's the news about a 90D? or 7DIII?. If you look about, you'll find more people looking to switch from Dslr to mirrorless than people wanting to step up from M to R. Not everyone wants FF, videographers don't worry so much about it most of them are using M43, whether Panasonic or Black Magic, many of them do not want big mammoth lenses to try balance on light-weight gimbles either. FF is not king, compactness is. Fuji have proven that the gap between APSC and FF is narrower than ever, sensors can only evolve so much, but the tech behind them is ever changing and improving with each batch.

Last edited:
If you look about, you'll find more people looking to switch from Dslr to mirrorless than people wanting to step up from M to R. Not everyone wants FF, videographers don't worry so much about it most of them are using M43, whether Panasonic or Black Magic, many of them do not want big mammoth lenses to try balance on light-weight gimbles either. FF is not king, compactness is. Fuji have proven that the gap between APSC and FF is narrower than ever, sensors can only evolve so much, but the tech behind them is ever changing and improving with each batch.

.... I agree with you except the bit which says "FF is not king, compactness is". Neither is king. Different branches of photography have different needs - It's Horses-for-Courses.

The major camera manufacturers look beyond what just the average person wants - Porsche VAG don't make cars for the masses. The VAG Volkswagen group is a very good example of one manufacturer covering the spectrum of different markets with different models fulfilling different needs. Mega Horses for courses, mega horse power!

.... I agree with you except the bit which says "FF is not king, compactness is". Neither is king. Different branches of photography have different needs - It's Horses-for-Courses.

The major camera manufacturers look beyond what just the average person wants - Porsche VAG don't make cars for the masses. The VAG Volkswagen group is a very good example of one manufacturer covering the spectrum of different markets with different models fulfilling different needs. Mega Horses for courses, mega horse power!

I think outside of the forum regulars [of any given forum] the general consensus would be more in favour of size and weight over simply having a FF sensor. I meant 'King' for the people, not the executives

Even if I don't sell the 7d mk2 I still fancy something smaller to carry about.....

Not to expensive lol
I got fed up carrying my 5D3 about, so picked up an 80D + 18-135 as a smaller walkabout.
But to be honest, it wasn't much lighter/smaller so was probably a mistake (though still a fine camera/lens combination).

I then went with an X-T2 married with a single lens that suited the majority of my shots and that's what I've used almost exclusively ever since.

The Canons do come out when I need them, but that's fairly rare.

Judging from your stated genre, you don't need the improved AF or video of the latest gens, I would suggest something like a second hand X-T 1 or 2 (or similar) paired with a suitable native lens.

Buy second hand and if it doesn't suit, you can sell on without losing much.

I think outside of the forum regulars [of any given forum] the general consensus would be more in favour of size and weight over simply having a FF sensor. I meant 'King' for the people, not the executives

.... That suggests to me that online forum photographer folks may be somewhat limited creatures. If a serious photographer, amateur or professional, seeks high quality they are often prepared to work with size and weight. For my chosen field of photography I need long focal length high quality optics and a camera body big enough to support and physically balance that. I have tried smaller bodies down to the EOS 100D and M5 and also smaller compact cameras and they simply don't offer me the results I want.

A King is the highest executive there is.

.... That suggests to me that online forum photographer folks may be somewhat limited creatures. If a serious photographer, amateur or professional, seeks high quality they are often prepared to work with size and weight. For my chosen field of photography I need long focal length high quality optics and a camera body big enough to support and physically balance that. I have tried smaller bodies down to the EOS 100D and M5 and also smaller compact cameras and they simply don't offer me the results I want.

A King is the highest executive there is.

Executives are nowt without their minions

Back