7d or 70d

Name
Duncan
Edit My Images
No
I all,

I'm thinking of changing from my current 450d and have two bodies in mind. The 7d or the new 70d I'm unsure if the 7d is getting a bit old now and also I'm not sure if that would be too advanced for me changing from the 450d.

Could anyone give me a heads up on the two bodies. I like sport as my main photography, however I also shot street and macro as well so I guess an all rounder would be better. I have been told that the new 70d is an equal to the 7d with a few advantages.

Please could anyone cast a opinion to help me.

Many thanks

If you are thinking of macro and street shots along with sport then the 70D or a 60D is going to be the way to go due to the screens.

I have a 7D and find it great 8 frames a sec on high speed mode and expandable ISO 12800 great for sport and wildlife and subject tracking, and Integrated Speedlite Transmitter, and alloy body, dont really know the 70D though other than its a mid range camera and the 7D is prosumer

Last edited:
I think its a great camera, the 60D the 7D etc... but some people have problems for some reason

I recently weighed up the 7D, the 70D and the 700D.
I decided on the 70D mainly because I wanted a camera that had the latest tech in it such as the dual pixel focusing etc. If you want to do video also then the 70D might be for you. The 7D has been out a while now and might be due an update sometime .

If you are thinking of macro and street shots along with sport then the 70D or a 60D is going to be the way to go due to the screens.

Hi Thanks for the info, I am unsure of the screens, but your possibly correct as the main part will be Sport, motor bike racing and when out and about then it's Street or Macro shots.

I have a 7D and find it great 8 frames a sec on high speed mode and expandable ISO 12800 great for sport and wildlife and subject tracking, and Integrated Speedlite Transmitter, and alloy body, dont really know the 70D though other than its a mid range camera and the 7D is prosumer

Thanks Dave, I'm just unsure if a jump from the 450d to a 7d is too far to jump in one go. Love Shooting Motor Bike racing/ track days etc and walking around the city street shoots as well. Not yet into the macro, however it is one that's on the radar.

Thanks for the reply.

I recently weighed up the 7D, the 70D and the 700D. I decided on the 70D mainly because I wanted a camera that had the latest tech in it such as the dual pixel focusing etc. If you want to do video also then the 70D might be for you. The 7D has been out a while now and might be due an update sometime .

Thanks for the heads up, can I ask what you changed from? I'm moving from a 450d and don't wish to just too soon and too far! How's the 70d ?

For pure photography, the 7D, if you have an interest in video then it swings towards the 70D. I currently have a 7D and although the 70D looks attractive on the video front, I like the 7D features too much to make the change. I'm waiting in anticipation of the 7D2

Thanks for the heads up, can I ask what you changed from? I'm moving from a 450d and don't wish to just too soon and too far! How's the 70d ?
I changed from a 400D, an even bigger jump than you. I am very happy with the 70D. Most impressive for me compared to the 400D is the fast focus, low light ability and live view.

Hi Thanks for the info, I am unsure of the screens, but your possibly correct as the main part will be Sport, motor bike racing and when out and about then it's Street or Macro shots.

The abillity for the swivel screens on the 60 and 70D means for street shots if they are low down its nice and easy to take the shots.

That said the 7D is superb and its also cheaper than the 70D and built better but then I have no personal experience of either body in the flesh.

I was pretty sure the 7D was going to be replaced, but now I'm thinking the 70D will be Canons top crop, and the next step up will be the 6D.

I have not seen a 70D as of yet, but reviews are good and most put it on par with the D7100 which I have used for sports with good effect.

Digital Rev did a little video comparing both...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WHhvvN4_RTk

Had a 450D (still have) had a 7d and now have a 70D. The 70D is the best camera I have ever owned - love it to bits :)

After having 2 7D's already and having focus and exposure problems on the first and high ISO noise on the second there's not a lot I'd recommend about it. I did get some great shots from them, specially at lower ISO settings, but the keeper ratio of both was poor in comparison to the other bodies I've had, and that's including a 550D and 60D which are supposed to be inferior models (entry and consumer as opposed to prosumer)

I recently traded my second 7D in for a 70D and I can honestly say it's the best 'crop' body I've had or used. The 70D's AF system is very fast, the noise handling up to ISO3200 is excellent (I had much noisier photos from the 7D at ISO1600) and the articulating screen is excellent for above head height and macro shots as well as live view focussing. If you buy an import model you can get a great deal on the 70D already. Have a look in the 70D thread http://www.talkphotography.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=502333 for examples etc.

I've had a 7D for about 3 years now, and I have tended to change up every 12-18 months, but I just love the 7D. It's complex, so you need to spend time understanding that excellent focus system, and the more you use it, the better it is to use.

I am considering a full frame body, but it will only be to run alongside the 7D, until they release a Mk2, mine's going nowhere.

Whichever body you buy, you need to invest time in understanding it's functions and testing it to see what it can do. Personally I wouldn't be without my 7D, for most of the work I do it suits me just fine.

Find somebody with one so you can go out for a days's shooting together, don't write it off until you've tried it.

Bit of an old thread this one. I went from a 400D to a 600D to a 7D. I love the 7D - the controls taken a bit of time to understand as they are rather complex but I do theatre photography and it works perfectly for me. I rarely shoot anything above 1600 ISO but took over 3,000 shots the other night and most were great (other than the usual probs in a theatre production). Might add also that Ive re-bought the 400D as a back up as I love its simplicity.

Sadly I've not personally tried the 70D, but when I had the 7D I "downgraded" to the 60D and preferred it, sure I lost some FPS and the build quality is not as good, but I could not live with the 7Ds noise - many can, just not me.

If I had the straight up cash I'd go for a 70D, although the 60D is very good too, but given you're into sport you may well need the FPS - but given you're in the UK you'll probably be bumping your ISO up quite high, so for me (and with my experience of the 7D) I would go for the 70D.

I wouldn't worry too much about the jump though, I've tried a few cameras in my time and except for when they swap over where the buttons are its not too bad - I've a 5D3 and 60D, now swapping between them is odd because of the size, but mostly because the button locations move - if its your only camera you'll soon get used to it - I once had a 1D3 and got use to that very quickly.

EDIT: Just seen when the OP was last online - I think its probably too late now :D

Last edited:
They think it's all over!!!!! ha ha

I guess noise depends what you're used to. I find the noise on the 7D Ok as my shots in dingy theatres are rarely crystal clear. What's important to me is being able to focus and capture the shots

70D... if anything it is the most advanced dSLR for action videos on the market right now. No one else has fast continuous AF even at 3x price. Any noise issues - get fast lenses first. f/2 vs f/5.6 will make an incredible difference.

Back