7d owners - What memory cards are you using?

Glen

Uncle Glen
Name
Glen
Edit My Images
Yes
Question as title really, what makes and what speeds. Are you using average speeds 20/30mbs for pics and faster for any HD filming etc.
Thoughts and comments appreciated. Ta.

at the moment im just using the old CF III that i had with the 50d, though i do intend to upgrade when funds become available.

Hi Glen,

I'm using an 8gb 30mb/sec Sandisk Ultra and I've got an older Fuji 100x 8gb in the bag as a back up. I haven't bothered using the video mode on the 7D so I can't speak for that.

Hope you're enjoying the new camera. :)
Si

I have just bought a couple of the new 8Gb Sandisk Ultras, but also have a plethora of other smaller, slower cards that I use.

I have some old San Disk 4GB Extreme III 30 MB/s cards that I use if doing sport etc.

Otherwise I use any disk that is lying around!

Transcend 32GB 133X cards in my 7D and 5D2, prior to that I used the cards in my 50D and 1D3. Shooting video with either the 7D or 5D2 is perfectly fine with these cards. IIRC you only need 8MB/s write speeds for HD video with these cameras.

Higher speeds are of use if you regularly fill your buffer and are needing it to be cleared quickly, or if you simply can't wait for your card to be downloaded to your computer as fast as possible. I'd like faster cards, but I certainly don't need them and have no interest in paying the price premium for them.

Sandisk 4GB 30mb/sec mixture of old Extreme III and the new Ultras. I should get some bigger ones though. 30mb/sec seems fine it's just total capacity that can be a tad annoying.

Tom N.

A couple of 8GB Ultras, unless you are impatient for downloading, what's a minute or two anyway, or you are a persistent machine gun shooter and need to clear the buffer quickly, why have the added expense of ultra fast cards.

I will be using my Sandisk Ultra II's and Kingston Elite Pro cards when the 7D turns up tomorrow, come on postie I can't wait any longer!

Cheers folks. Got a few extreme 111 4gb 30 mbs, but was looking at getting a couple of 8gb, so may try the 60mbs versions as they aren't totally bank breaking.

I'm using 8gb Sandisk Ultra (the new 30mb/s Ultra) - works fine though I don't know if the 7D could write faster from buffer to card if I used something even faster.
Mike

Back