7D replacement

Edit My Images
No
Hi, I'm looking to upgrade my Canon EOS 7D, it's about 9 years old and I use it mostly for sports photography. I liked the look of the 6D with the extendable screen which might come in useful for other projects but reviews seem to suggest that it's not suitable for sports.

Any suggestions?

7d2 can be bought new for less than 1k now and is the obvious upgrade to a 7d. It is better all round than the mk1. Ok it is a bit old itself now but it is a camera well suited to sports as it has a good AF system. Newer technology might lead you to look at the 90d which I'm sure would cope as well but I haven't tried it. If you have used a 7d for so long the mk2 layout would suit you better.

7D2 or 90D if the x1.6 crop factor is beneficial, or full frame - a recent 5D series or a 1D series, but you may need to reconsider your lenses. I'd be considering a 90D as newest in that line and the 7D2 is getting on a bit.

Thanks, I was wary of the 7D2 because of it's age. From what I've read the 5D isn't suitable for sports either and the 1D is just far too expensive to justify.

How long has the 90D been out and is it a "better" camera that the 7D? I only asked because it's a higher model number!

I have a 7D and I have a love hate relationship with it but that's another story. I upgraded to a 5Div 2 1/2 years ago and I haven't looked back, it's night and day, almost literally.

Any of the later 5D models (mk 3 or 4) would be more than adequate for sports. You can get a good second 5Div for under £1.5 k now if you look around.

If it's a crop sensor your after, I'd look at the 90D, it's newer tech than the 7Dii, or the M6mkii but with the viewfinder.

Canon are about to announce 2 new mirrorless models in the next few weeks, I'm waiting to see what they offer before deciding on a back up to my 5Div.

There's also the offerings from other manufacturers but it sounds like you're invested in the Canon system.

Have to say I like the £1k mark and not too much more as far as expenditure goes, the 90D looks good for that money. I'd just be concerned that I'd be getting a poorer technical camera than the 7D which seems unlikely given the time scale.

Not keen on second hand either.

The 90D is a much newer camera but from a the tier below the 'xD without a 1' tier, but benefits from the trickle down of technology and features from the tier above.

With the shift towards mirrorless I'm not sure we'll ever see a 7D3.

Have to say I like the £1k mark and not too much more as far as expenditure goes, the 90D looks good for that money. I'd just be concerned that I'd be getting a poorer technical camera than the 7D which seems unlikely given the time scale.

Not keen on second hand either.
I have both the 7D (mk1), 5D3 and 80D
The 7D never gets used. Both the 5D3 and 80D have better IQ than the 7D and I do not notice the nominal 1fps difference between the 7D & 80D (8 vs 7).
Theoretically the 7D has better build quality, but I've never had any issues. There is no joystick on the 80D, but you do have the D pad. The 80D has far more focus points than the 7D (45 vs 9 I believe).
I've played with a mate's 90D and it feels like a slightly improved 80D, I didn't notice any downsides.

Caveat - From a sports perspective, my photography would be motorsport (and planes), which are fairly simple to track - I can't speak for the tracking in 'say' football.

Just my own thoughts and experience . I used my 7D for years was never overly happy with it , waited along time for a 7Dmklll to arrive , which hasn`t and I don`t believe will now , so I brought a 2nd hand minty 7Dmkll recently , and I am very impressed with it , think it`s still a good buy new for a grand , the 80D has a very good sensor on it , but I believe it`s missing the joystick on the rear which you will definitely miss . The 90D didn`t quite cut it for me from what I read review wise , and there has not been much bragging or hype about it that I have heard . If you can go full frame , and not miss the extra reach the cropped sensors give , that`s the way to go , in quality of image terms , it`s a huge leap .

For your budget of about 1k - the best bet imo is an older, leggy 1DX. It'll blow the 7D out the water IQ wise and the AF is really good for sport photography.

Furthermore, there are other considerations like buffer capacity and write speed etc. that the 1DX takes care of far better than the 6D.

I don't want a second hand camera thanks :)

Hmm, the original 7D doesn't have a joystick but it looks useful. I've never had one before. Is there one on the 90D? The 90D is now my preferred option.

Hmm, the original 7D doesn't have a joystick but it looks useful. I've never had one before. Is there one on the 90D? The 90D is now my preferred option.
The original 7D does have a small joystick. Maybe you call it something else (button). You would certainly be using it when moving the focus points about.

You might struggle to find a brand new 7d2 now as it has been discontinued for some time now.

The flip out screen looks incredibly useful. I follow @tubemapper on twitter and he produces some wonderful images from ground level because he has similar and it's very difficult to replicate when you don't have the screen.

It is very easy to shoot low to the ground with any camera, you just need an inexpensive angle finder. Or a much more expensive Canon one.

Incidentally, if you want to know the relative ages of Canon DSLRs and ranges there is a useful timeline on the bottom of the Wikipedia entry for "Canon EOS" and for every DSLR.

I have debated this issue for a while as to what camera to replace my 7D purchased from new in 2009.
Over the last few years I followed canon rumours about the 7Diii and that was going to be my next purchased, and we know what actually happened !
So i was on the hunt for a viable replacement and I researched many cameras and I ended up getting the EOS 7Dii ! !
Bang for buck the 7Dii is a good buy for AF accurancy, build quality, thumb dial, Dual pixel AF for video, 2 card slots is ideal as you can buy an SD card most places around the world !

I managed to get a very good deal used 7Dii on here for just over £500 a few years ago and now the prices have risen since then. The 7Dii is suited for sports & wildlife were the 80D & 90D are more general purpose as they do not have the same wide coverage of AF points as the 7Dii

For your budget of about 1k - the best bet imo is an older, leggy 1DX. It'll blow the 7D out the water IQ wise and the AF is really good for sport photography.

Furthermore, there are other considerations like buffer capacity and write speed etc. that the 1DX takes care of far better than the 6D.
Apologies to the OP who said that they don't want a second hand camera.
But couldn't a) weight (a lot heavier) and b) life - second hand might not last so long - be issues if he had done this?

I have debated this issue for a while as to what camera to replace my 7D purchased from new in 2009.
Over the last few years I followed canon rumours about the 7Diii and that was going to be my next purchased, and we know what actually happened !
So i was on the hunt for a viable replacement and I researched many cameras and I ended up getting the EOS 7Dii ! !
Bang for buck the 7Dii is a good buy for AF accurancy, build quality, thumb dial, Dual pixel AF for video, 2 card slots is ideal as you can buy an SD card most places around the world !

I managed to get a very good deal used 7Dii on here for just over £500 a few years ago and now the prices have risen since then. The 7Dii is suited for sports & wildlife were the 80D & 90D are more general purpose as they do not have the same wide coverage of AF points as the 7Dii
Yes agree with you the 7D mk 2 is an excellent upgrade from the original
I was happy with my original 7D but the autofocus on the MK2 is definitely better, I can capture puffins in flight with mine and they are fast flying small birds
The image quality is very good too

Hi LCPete,
I would say that the 7Dii is about 1 & 1/2 stops better than the 7D, the nose is much, much better at higher ISO, the AF system is better, more AP points, Dual Pixel AF iamazing, and 2 card slots which is just great.
I would have liked 24MP or at least 22MP instead of 20.2MP for when I crop into an image.

Waiting around for the 7Diii to come out ( as the predicted stats from Canon Rumours were just amazing ) stopped me from buying any thing else, and when we learn it was never coming out I went and purcased from here a used 7Dii.
FRom that point I have enjoyed using my 7Dii

I was happy with my original 7D but the autofocus on the MK2 is definitely better, I can capture puffins in flight with mine and they are fast flying small birds

Please tell me how. I have a 7Dii and struggle with puffins in flight. Use all focus points?

For something like that I would try single point or single point with surrounding assistance. The speed that the camera can focus is only as good as the speed that the lens can move and adjust - zoom lenses have more glass elements and can be subject to inertia and momentum.

I use a 7D2 for sports in conjunction with a 1DX2 and the 7D2 is pretty good in that company.

Please tell me how. I have a 7Dii and struggle with puffins in flight. Use all focus points?
I haven’t been this year but if I remember correctly I use the single with two additional points can’t remember what it’s called , but what is more important is to get used to the main direction that they fly back to land and follow them when they fly in try to get focus for the last third of their flight in

View attachment 284744

Brentor,

I use the above for birds in flight.
It does help if you know the habits of the bird in question as this will help you predict where the the flight paths might be.

Thanks,

That is what I used to use, but I have been experimenting with more AF points as I do not seem to be fast enough particularly with puffins.

7D2 is great for sports at low budget.
I had 60D and 7DII.
From the sensor point of view, 60D has the same sensor as 7D and I can say that 7D2 has much better sensor in any regard.
With 7DII I had very high keeper rate, usually more then 90%. It was able to follow a drift car covered with smoke without loosing focus. With EF70-200L lenses.
Later I sold 60D for 80D.
7DII has much, much better AF performance then 80D.
90D is successor of 80D, but I do not know AF performance since I haven't tested it.

Last edited:
I agree with ergas, the 7Dii AF system is very good and the sensor is at least a stop & half better than the 7D and 60D.
There some YouTube videos comparing the 7Dii to 90D and I pretty sure the AF on 7Dii comes out on top.
Of course the 90D does have a lot of other features the 7Dii lacks, however it is apx £1,000 !

Back