7D test and feel free to discuss image.

My decision has been 2 years :whistle: in the making and I'm going to get it right this time. I don't have any allegiance to any brand, I just happen to be Canon as my first DSLR was a 350D, then the 40 and now the 7 and I've bought the glass for them, particularly the 7. It's that comment my mate made, " go FF and let your glass shine", he said that 2 years ago too, damn him. :LOL:

It's that comment my mate made, " go FF and let your glass shine", he said that 2 years ago too, damn him. :LOL:
It's probably true.
I was using the 24-105L on a 60D and while it was good, once I put it on the 6D, it was amazing. The bokeh is lovely even though it's only f4. Not helping am I ? ;)
If you were to put 24-105L on the 7D and take a shot, then put it on a 5D2 (same vintage of sensor) and take a shot, you'd have a good chance to see whether full frame will give you less noise without talking about a sensor 2-3 generations ahead of the 7D's.

Have you taken a look at the DPReview comparisons: here
You can see that at ISO 3200 the 5D2 is cleaner than the 7D. But the 6D, 5D3 and 5D4 all look pretty damn clean.

I'm really happy with the high-iso performance of my 6D, even if the AF system isn't as good as the 7D (though I don't really shoot wildlife), I'm happy and love the full frame image.

Here's one of the first shots I took with the 6D, at ISO 6400, it's really clean.

Crouching/Hidden Lemur by Alistair Beavis, on Flickr

I can only dream of such settings on my 7. :cool:

Given the reviews on 6Dmkii, which to a point, might be taken with a pinch of salt as we don't really have any 'realtime' reviews yet, I almost went for a mkii.

Decision has been made though, I'm going for a 5Dmkiv. It will stretch the purse strings a bit but I have to get it right as I don't intend buying another camera for a few years, probably longer, so the next one will have to last. Also, the 5D, as far as I can tell, is a proven piece of kit and if I do get noisy, grainy mushy, soft images like I have been from my 7d, then it would be difficult to blame the camera, it could only be operator error. :whistle:

I've failed to make my 7D work as I want but I will keep trying by mainly ETTR, even when the 5D arrives. I am convinced my 7D is a bad copy (considering the reputation it has too) and some of it may be my fault but not all. I can get clean images out of my Fuji, even at higher ISOs.

The 6Dmkii promises a lot but by all recent accounts at least, it doesn't have equal, let alone better image quality (broadly speaking) than the mki. You would expect it to be equal at least. With that in mind, I'm making sure , as far as I can and getting a 5D.:)

Given the reviews on 6Dmkii, which to a point, might be taken with a pinch of salt as we don't really have any 'realtime' reviews yet, I almost went for a mkii.

Decision has been made though, I'm going for a 5Dmkiv. It will stretch the purse strings a bit but I have to get it right as I don't intend buying another camera for a few years, probably longer, so the next one will have to last. Also, the 5D, as far as I can tell, is a proven piece of kit and if I do get noisy, grainy mushy, soft images like I have been from my 7d, then it would be difficult to blame the camera, it could only be operator error. :whistle:

I've failed to make my 7D work as I want but I will keep trying by mainly ETTR, even when the 5D arrives. I am convinced my 7D is a bad copy (considering the reputation it has too) and some of it may be my fault but not all. I can get clean images out of my Fuji, even at higher ISOs.

The 6Dmkii promises a lot but by all recent accounts at least, it doesn't have equal, let alone better image quality (broadly speaking) than the mki. You would expect it to be equal at least. With that in mind, I'm making sure , as far as I can and getting a 5D.:)

Good choice. Please post some photos in due course. Are you also getting some faster lenses and a 500L?

Are you also getting some faster lenses and a 500L?

Not planning any lenses for now, that would be divorce territory :LOL:. I have some decent L already but in time, I wouldn't mind the 16-35 2.8.

I recently purchased the 16-35mm f4 for when I bought the 6DII :rolleyes:. Excellent lens but wasted on my 7D really.

I'd settle for the f4 to be honest, lovely lens. All that's needed for landscapes.

At f2.8 it's better in every way and the extra stop is definately needed on the crop (especially the MKI 7D)
At f4 it's probably just as good but then in the corners I would imagine the 16-35mm to be sharper on a FF sensor (a mute point as the 17-55mm obviously wont fit)

Which is why it's wasted on the 7D when the 17-55mm has a better range, just as good at f4, has the extra stop, and is cheaper. Absolutely useless on a 6DII though. ;)

Being as I was asked to post some images a few posts ago, here is one. Posted elsewhere here but just to update this thread too.

This is the 24th image taken with my MKiv. I am amazed by it, what a machine. Shadow recovery is stupidly good and my base iso is 800. I wouldn't dream of that with my 7D

Mirror, Mirror. by Dale, on Flickr

Being as I was asked to post some images a few posts ago, here is one. Posted elsewhere here but just to update this thread too.

This is the 24th image taken with my MKiv. I am amazed by it, what a machine. Shadow recovery is stupidly good and my base iso is 800. I wouldn't dream of that with my 7D

Mirror, Mirror. by Dale, on Flickr

No regrets then? All that time struggling with your 7d.........:(

No regrets then? All that time struggling with your 7d.........:(

No negrets, not a single one, none.

The 7D was a struggle, maybe it was/is a bad copy, maybe it was me. One thing though, in a way I actually think the 7D has improved my camera handling by trying to make it work and get the best out of it. I've been happy with the images off my X-T10 and now the MKiv. I still believe the 7D is a decent camera and I will be keeping it but the MKiv just makes it so much easier.

I would like to add my opinion in to this conversation concerning the humble 7D

My first DSLR was a EOS 400D which really was a revamped 350D so perhaps it should have been called a 350Ds !
I learn a lot from that camera and how to work within its limitations to get good / desire results.
Then I upgraded to the new 7D when it was launched and what an amazing up grade it was. It seemed almost like that any mode the camera just took great photos.
I have noticed that some shots are not sharp as I would expect. This is due to AA filter to reduce moire, however the side effect is images are not as sharp as they should be. Nikon had a bad reviews with AA filter on the D600 and so Nikon released the D610 to readdress this issue. It seems canon has not done the same as the 7Dii still has a AA filter !

I do love the AF system on the 7D which came from the the 5Diii or iv, can not remember which one. When I shoot airshows I do use the back focusing button as 1 in 3 shoots will be slightly out of focus if I just use the shutter button. My other issue has always been the noise low light situations. I have noticed when out with other photographers most lower end Nikon's performed better than my 7D in low light !
You do have to nail the exposure on the 7D or noise will creep in to the IQ.
The other good aspect for me about the 7Di was the optical wireless trigger system for firing canon certain speedlites.
I post some photos on another site for critiquing taken on my 7Di and one of the reviewers gave me some good tips on getting better results from my 7D as he was a 7D user. His photos from airshows are amazing and sharp which I found unusual as I was struggling to get sharp photos. He also used the sigma 150-600 contemporary lens were I was using 70-300L IS USM. So I thought surely L grade lens over sigma Art should yield me better results, apparently not.
I was just not using my 7D with the correct techniques to get the best from that camera.

I have never up graded to the 7Dii as I believe it was not enough of an upgrade over the 7Di for the money. As for the 6D, I have used a friends 6Di for a day at comic con as the venue was inside with poor light. I just did not like it at all. As the AF points are all grouped in the center and the controls on the back I found very fiddle as I was missing the jog dial from the 7D. The 6Dii is a great upgrade over the 6Di and if comes in near the £1,400 it will be good value for money as 2k is way too much. If I want a FF DSLR for portraits or landscapes I will buy a 6Dii if the price comes down, otherwise I will keep my trusty 7Di till the 7Diii is released.
The brief for the original 6D was to have a basic entry level smaller body FF camera which it was at the time. The 6Dii I believe does not fulfill this brief as Sony have the A7 and A9 range which do fulfill this brief. The strange thing is once you add the large G Master glass to the mirrorless camera the size is not much smaller than the FF DSLR's from Canon and Nikon, ha !

I still think the 7Di still has a lot to other for ethisist for features though the noise will effect IQ is not quite as good as should be when compared to cheaper DSLR's

I post some photos on another site for critiquing taken on my 7Di and one of the reviewers gave me some good tips on getting better results from my 7D as he was a 7D user. His photos from airshows are amazing and sharp which I found unusual as I was struggling to get sharp photos. He also used the sigma 150-600 contemporary lens were I was using 70-300L IS USM. So I thought surely L grade lens over sigma Art should yield me better results, apparently not.
I was just not using my 7D with the correct techniques to get the best from that camera.

Any tips to pass on as they are likely to apply to the 7Dii as well.

You've described EXACTLY my relationship and experience with the 7d. A shooting pal gets much better/cleaner images on his 80d. I too was hoping that the 6dmkii was gonna be my replacement... doesn't seem likely now, although I would definitely miss the handling and ergonomics of the 7d that I've come to love. I can't go to the 5dmk4, so I don't know what my next move is.

6d mk1?

No, I've used a friends a few times and whilst it's a very good camera, the auto focus system is limited for the sports and occasional moving wildlife that I do. Additionally, the fps is too slow too.

No, I've used a friends a few times and whilst it's a very good camera, the auto focus system is limited for the sports and occasional moving wildlife that I do. Additionally, the fps is too slow too.

The AF isn't the best on offer, but I didn't find it limiting for sports, even shooting F1.

But the 5d 3/4 would be better AF wise.

But back to the 6d mk2, you'll find the IQ a huge step up from the 7d, even if DXO (best ignored though TBH) aren't creaming over the DR.

Last edited:
The AF isn't the best on offer, but I didn't find it limiting for sports, even shooting F1.

But the 5d 3/4 would be better AF wise.
You must be a far better photographer than me! I took it to the horseracing and also motocross and had far too many missed shots. For example, at the motocross, I had a spot where the riders would jump on a hill towards me on the other side and I would try to get them as they came into view in mid air. The 6d wouldn't lock on quickly enough, or sometimes not at all, whereas the 7d was far more successful.

You must be a far better photographer than me! I took it to the horseracing and also motocross and had far too many missed shots. For example, at the motocross, I had a spot where the riders would jump on a hill towards me on the other side and I would try to get them as they came into view in mid air. The 6d wouldn't lock on quickly enough, or sometimes not at all, whereas the 7d was far more successful.

It's easy, centre point AF tracking, bbf and away you go! But then I've had years to practice. My xxd bodies have better AF and more FPS, but the fact is I never found the AF limiting on the 6d, and the advantages of its IQ means the final output far exceeds the bodies with better AF.

I'd post some examples but Flickr is only letting me link tiny versions on my phone for some reason?

Glad you have got this sorted, enjoy the 5d4 as the ISO freedom should be a revelation coming from a 7d.

I've also had images marked down for being noisy.
I have to say this is one of the reasons I'm not a camera club member. Judges marking people down because the images are a little noise is ridiculous. I was on a hedgehog workshop last year where there was a camera club member who had been told this before and was prettified about raising ISO. The daft thing was he wasn't getting anything because his images weren't sharp because of his shutter speed was too low as he wouldn't raise ISO. Myself and another photographer were shooting at high ISO because of the conditions needed it. The hedgehog image in this years BWPA calendar was taken by the other photographer shooting high ISO, and I got my first shortlisted BWPA image shooting high ISO. CC judges shouldn't be putting people off shooting high ISO if the conditions require it. The only people worried about noise are photographers and CC judges, if I show an image to my wife she never noticed noise as it's not something she worries about. The subject and what it conveys is more important than image noise.

Last edited:
Back