7D to 70D for £150 would you?

YES, I went from a 7d to the 70D and with what I traded mine cost me £60 but if it had cost me another £100 I would still of snatched their hand off. After using the 70D for just over 2 months and IMO it knock spots off the 7D. I can easily shoot up to ISO3200 with the 70D whereas with the 7D I had anything over ISO1600 was practically unusable. I've had 6 crop bodies before the 70D, including two 7D's and a 1D3, and I rate the 70D as the best of them. I've also had a 5D2 and I've got a 5D3 now and if I had to choose between a 5D2 or the 70D I think I'd still choose the 70D. It's an outstanding body and easily worth the price you can get them at today.

What are you expecting to get? If it is video AF, then yeah go for it. But if you are looking for much better IQ, you won't find much. But you will find smaller viewfinder, less fps, smaller and lesser body. Perhaps look at FF instead if money must be spent?

The articulated screen and wifi would be good, 1FPS I'm not bothered about. Better ISO yes please but then again I've never had too much of an issue with it. Doesn't it have micro adjustment and different points of the lens as well?

hi Stuart, I am fed up with waiting for the 7D2 could you point me in the right direction for a trade in sounds a good deal. Mike

hi Steve the 70d has less A/F options than the 7D. Mike

Aren't the A/F options just the single micro point which you're only supposed to use in special circumstances and the single point expansion which is useful for tracking?

Yes Steve that's correct. I have been taking photos of kingfishers lately but am only able to go on bright days
(British bl--- weather) because shooting above 800iso with the 7D is not quite good enough 1600iso shows up the backround. Thought the 70D might be good enough to go to 3200iso hopefully. But the lack of A/F expansion also makes me hesitant to take the leap of faith needed. Regards. Mike

The only thing I miss from the 7D is the 'spot focus' option which does help in certain circumstances. However, I was also shooting for a time with a 1D3 and that had full point focus so has helped me get used to it again. The 70D AF system has more basic options but you can still pick single, multi or all focus points, although I mainly stick to single point I use multi point for BIF as it's good for tracking. I can get very clean photos at ISO1600 and very useable photos at 3200, it only starts getting bad after that, but you can still see lots of subject detail at 6400 although the background is noisy but a lot of that could be removed in post.

I got mine from L.C.E. for my 7d and another 1D that I'd just been given but wasn't using so I jumped for it. I'm using the 70D in far more situations than I ever did with the 7D. Most of my macro shots are now with the 70D rather than my 5D3 and I'm about equal in bird shots between the two.

I have a 1DX and a 5D MKII which never ever gets used. So i think i will sell it (5) and get a 70D, why the better focusing (i hate the 5'S) more reach with the 1.6 sensor, tilting screen and the pop up flash when im out and about with the family.

Back