7D11- Back Button Focus

Name
John
Edit My Images
Yes
I'm trying to set up back button focus..AF-ON…on my 7D11. At the end of the procedure the shutter button is still focusing. I don't think it should do this,it should just take the photo as my 1D1V does,that's set up for back button focus too. A different menu route though. Hopefully,someone with a 7D11 can see where I'm going wrong. I don;'t think it's in the manual holt to do this. I had to look at several Youtube videos.

1. Press Q.
2. Press the icon far right second down..after the exposure comp. icon. (looks like a video camera..under ISO value) Press SET
3. Now on 'Metering and AF Start' window. Selected option 2. AF-ON..Press SET
4..First option highlighted which is 'AF' in a box. Press Info button.
5. Next Window..(Detail Set) Selected option 2 ..'A1 Servo AF Characteristics'.. Press SET
6. Title. Box.. 'Case 1 Versatile Multi Purpose Settings'. I selected option 2..(the running man). Press SET..Goes back to previous window again
7. This time Selected option 3 'AF Operation' Selected A1 Servo.. Press SET
8. Back to same window, this time selected the last option 'AF Area Selection Mode' ..I selected selected Option 3 (a square) ... 'Manual Selection 1pt. AF.'

Thats it. Press menu or the shutter button to exit.

I then tried it. The back button works on focusing but so does the shutter button. I went through the above again. Time after time both the shutter button and the back button (AF-ON) focuses.

In the bottom right corner of the windows is 'Set OK'. I can't access that. I'm wondering if this is the problem because after I've discovered that the shutter button is focusing and I start all over again it's not set on my first selection..AF-ON. Just to go through the first steps to this .

Pressed Q. Takes me to icon under ISO value..Press SET..Takes me to the AF Options. Here it's set to the first option which must be the factory default shutter button focusing action as well as taking the photo..I've been setting it to the second option AF-ON

Thanks..

All you have done is set Back Button Focus, you haven't UNSET the shutter button.

Go into the Custom Controls, select the shutter button and set it to METERING only, not metering and focus.

That should sort it out for you.

It’s really not difficult, check the manual, go to the custom settings menu, assign the AF button, then unassign the AF from the shutter button.

Thanks a lot ,Archie. Job done.

All you have done is set Back Button Focus, you haven't UNSET the shutter button.

Go into the Custom Controls, select the shutter button and set it to METERING only, not metering and focus.

That should sort it out for you.

Thanks. Yes. I realised what wasn't happening but didn't know how to sort it. As you see.Job done.

Page 445 in the manual!!

Got it now,Gary. Thanks. In my defence...I have the manual and I went through it..several times. It has 174 pages. You mentioned page 445 so I checked online via a Google and found the PDF file . I now realise that manuals that come with cameras are is clearly just précis. I went to that page just now and to be honest I wouldn't have sorted it having read it. You have to understand that not everyone understands the terminology.

The image in the PDF shows metering. To the best of my knowledge metering is measuring the level of light..brightness/darkness. I didn't associate that with focusing. Also, it states. (in the link gary posted) 'Select the function to assign…Metering Star't. The first of the three options is is AF..I don't know what the other two are. but I needed to select the centre icon. As back-button focus is becoming more popular..I think..it should be useful to have it outlined as such in the users manual..the one I have.

It’s really not difficult, check the manual, go to the custom settings menu, assign the AF button, then unassign the AF from the shutter button.

Thanks, for responding,Phil. Yes, as the helpful link that Archie posted shows, it clearly is a simple task and I've explained to Gary why I didn't find it. I know what I needed to do..as you've outlined..but not 'the how'.

Thanks, for responding,Phil. Yes, as the helpful link that Archie posted shows, it clearly is a simple task and I've explained to Gary why I didn't find it. I know what I needed to do..as you've outlined..but not 'the how'.

I’m puzzled by the use of the Q button, having owned 8 Canon DSLRs, I know my way through the menus, and I’ve never found a use for the Q button.

I’m puzzled by the use of the Q button, having owned 8 Canon DSLRs, I know my way through the menus, and I’ve never found a use for the Q button.

Well, Phil..I have three Canon cameras. The 1D1V..the 5D11 and this 7D11. The 7D11 is the first I've seen with a Q button.

What I'm now painfully aware of is that you can't take as red the 'tutorials' to be found online. Some may have the correct instructions and obviously convoluted ones like this one but put over in a lamentable way. Good job they aren't teachers..you have to hope. They mean well though.

Pleased it is sorted John. I set mine to BBF in the summer, still getting used to it but it suits some of my photography. My other cameras are too old to have that function.

I quite like the Q button as it allows me to quickly change key functions. Perhaps this is because I do not use my 7Dii on a regular basis so I am not that familiar with the full menu.

Out of interest, how do you find the 7Dii compares with the 1Div, in particular the AF?

Out of interest, how do you find the 7Dii compares with the 1Div, in particular the AF?

No real difference that I've noted. I've barely used the 7D11 though but will use it in Cornwall over christmas, As you'll know the 1D1V is 1.3 X crop,the 7D11 1.6 X.. on 400mm 166 mm more reach,quite a lot really. 'Ll try and remember to let you know.

Back