7DAYSHOP "good to go" Batteries

Name
Dean
Edit My Images
No
does anyone use these for their flashguns? How do they compare to eneloop?

Hi,
I think there are a few threads on this if you do a search. I have just ordered a load of the Eneloop [Sanyo] ones as they were highly rated by a lot of TP'ers!

Dunc

Thanks, Duncan, I'll search. I use Eneloops myself, but thought it worth checking out.

The single pack (case) of 7dayshop "good to go" batteries I received were pretty poor. I have a very good batter charger/tester (Maha C9000) which can show actual capacities. Fully charged the 7dayshop AA cells held only 1400-1600mAH vs 1900-2000 for all other Low Self Discharge Batteries I have tested.

I recommend Sanyo Eneloop, GP Recyko and Uniross Hybrio. All of these do what they say on the packet.

I've just bought 16 of these and thought I would put them on my intelligent charger, just to see how much topping up they needed. Of the first four, two have taken over 900mAH of charge, so were seemingly only about 56% full. The other two are at over 1200mAH at the moment and still charging, so it seems they had a charge of under 43% when delivered.

So much for "Good to Go". If you plan on buying these to use straight away then they might not last as long as you would wish. Let's hope they do at least hang on to the charge for a good while, once they are fully charged. In all honesty I am not confident.

If it's true that they won't hold a full 2100mAH charge then it looks like the charge state on delivery was even worse than the rather poor ~50% I received.

I'll update when I have put the other 12 on charge.

EDIT : At last charging of the first set is complete and the "worst" battery took a charge of almost 1600mAh, and was on charge for almost 8 hours. "Good to Go" my ar... Good to go straight back, more like, except it just won't be worth the hassle.

EDIT : The second batch of four have just completed charging, also taking 8 hours, with the charge accepted ranging from ~900-1600mAH.

I've decided to put the next set of four on a discharge/recharge cycle to see how much charge they will accept to get them from empty to full.

I bought a load of them and decided to use them out-the-packet in my D300 grip, the battery-out indicator was flashing after about 20 shots :cautious:

They've been a bit better since being recharged, but that kind of defeats the purpose, doesn't it?

It would appear I am in the minority here. I don't have a fancy charger so cant comment on exact charge held when I recieved them but for cheap rechargeable batteries they seem ok in my flash. To be honest I would say they are cheap enough to give them a try and if you're not happy, then its not a big waste. Also quite like the little snap shut box they came in.

It's not the price that is the issue. It's the failure to live up to the marketing. Suppose you bought a bunch of these for a wedding, expecting them to arrive fully charged, or close to it, and it turned out they were nearly empty. Now, that might not be the brightest approach to preparing for a wedding, but if they say they are good to go then they should be. I thought it might take maybe an hour per set to top them off but it is more like six hours for the first set. Multiply that by four sets and I've got 24 hours of continuous charging to perform to get my batteries ready. It's a good job I'm starting now and not on Friday evening.

I might add that 2-3 years ago I bought 16 of their 2800mAH batteries. The most charge I could ever squeeze into any of those was 2200mAH and some never made it past 2000mAh, despite running them all through a repeated refresh cycle. All my other brands of rechargeable battery do hit or exceed the stated capacity, so I don't think it is my charger that is at fault.

I suppose I should have wised up after the first disappointment with the 2800mAH batteries, but I gave them the benefit of the doubt. I won't be fooled a third time.

I had some 7DS batteries for my D90, they are OK, but were advertised as higher capacity than the item that arrived. Contacted 7DS and they asked for return. Could not be bothered (for sake of 15 quid) so ordered another - same item, under spec, was delivered, contacted them again... repeat. I use the batteries because they're OK, but watch the stated specs vs. what you get.

I bought some of these not too long ago, after doing a lot of research, and it seemed like they were both as good as each other, so i opeted for the cheaper 7dayshop ones.

I dont have a smart charger, so cannot comment on figures etc etc....

But i put a set of four on charge overnight, and used them the next day.....Got through around 350-400 pictures....so i was well chuffed.....:D

Had another set charging in the mean time, but didnt even need them in the end! (y)

I doubt i would trust the "good to go" philosophy though! :thinking: Probably best to charge them before use to be safe....

I was happy with them :D(y)

Again, i haven't got a smart charger so can't advise on the accuracy of their claims, but I have a couple of sets for use in my flash gun (and another for my xbox 360 controllers)and in real world situations ive not had a problem with them. No observed drain when not in use and when in use they seem to last as long, if not longer than other rechargables ive had in the past.

just measured voltage on 4 x UNIROSS 2500mAh batteries

they were fully charged up about 3-4 days ago, but are now at about 50%

so "eneloops" for me now - where's the cheapest to buy on-line ....?

I've got some and I haven't done any proper testing but they seem pretty good to me - the other batteries I use are pricier GP and Ansmann 2700mah ones.

The thing about battery sellers is that some tend to "exaggerate" the capacity of the batteries.

They rely on the average person not understanding mAh, for instance 2800mAh from a generic rechargeable branded under a sellers own name usually means 2100mAh if you are lucky.

Also generic batteries are usually ones that fail a major manufacturers quality control check so they are knocked out through wholesalers as unbranded ones.

Sanyo being a company that does this quite often.

Another thing you need to very aware of is the Chinese got caught with their pants down a couple of years back, the EU banned Cadmium imports, this means Ni-Cd's weren't allowed to be imported, the states followed very soon afterwards.

This left a stockpile of millions of NiCd batteries that were unsellable.

What did the Chinese do?, simples, rebranded them as NiMh and sold them on Ali Baba to any potential ebay tycoon who thought they could make a killing.

At a conservative estimate around 75% of the "generic" claimed NiMh batteries are really NiCd.

MyMemory have the Uniross compact charger + 4 AA 2100mAh ULTRA Batteries for £6.39 del'd using code fifa20, poss topcashback/quidco too.

24048_1269948147.jpg

Quote..
Ultra compact and plug-in design to charge 4 batteries
- Best value for money charger
- Ideal for your everyday electronic devices : Remote control, radio,
clocks, PC mouse, toys
- 4 AA included with Advanced HYBRIO technology inside : ready
for use straight from the pack and offers extremely low self discharge for longer lasting usage

Plug it in your car and charge your
batteries while driving
- Rapid charge and intelligent safety features for a practical usage
- Ideal for usage in your everyday electronic devices : Radio, mp3
player, minidisc, walkman, PC mouse, toys,
- 2 AA included with HYBRIO technology inside : ready for use straight from the pack and stay charged for a long time

Whilst we are on the battery topic, can someone recommend a good value for money charger?

Knackers, wish i read this thread before i order 2 packs of those 'good to go' batteries last week. Incidently, i'm still waiting on them arriving from my order over a week ago now!

I've had Eneloops in the past but I've just ordered some of the 7day own brand so I'll see how they compare. I'm not really interested in the charge straight out of the box as you never know how long they have been sitting on the shelf even before they made it to 7days :)

Whilst we are on the battery topic, can someone recommend a good value for money charger?

whats the one everybody uses that discharge/charge cycles to optimize capacity ----costs about £30 ?

GUYS, These will NOT perform well in a camera grip.. They DO however give much faster recycle times in flashguns.. Its the way in which ni-mh deliver the power that matters and your camera will need it steadily for hours.. The flash gun needs it NOW asap. ALL nimhs lose charge over time and no reseller is going to recharge them first so, it then comes down to how long they sat on the shelf...

Whilst 7 day shop sell the eneloops at about £7 they also sell a package for about £8.50 including a charger. It works :)

Id never use a fast charger, they totally destroy batteries, i use this and charge them at the lowest speed, the batteries warm up allot less and have a longer life.

Whilst 7 day shop sell the eneloops at about £7 they also sell a package for about £8.50 including a charger. It works :)

Glad to hear this as I have placed an order for some for my flash guns, seemed like a no brainer to get a couple of chargers for not much more than the pack of batteries, just waiting for the postman now.:)

Id never use a fast charger, they totally destroy batteries, i use this and charge them at the lowest speed, the batteries warm up allot less and have a longer life.

That's all fine and dandy, but if you have 4 or 5 sets of batteries to charge and two shoots in two days you're buggered. iIll accept shorter life for the speed.

That's all fine and dandy, but if you have 4 or 5 sets of batteries to charge and two shoots in two days you're buggered. iIll accept shorter life for the speed.

aye, 1-2 hours is a good compromise. And I use a LOT of batteries... the 7dayshop 8 bay charger is good :) no complaints with their own brand good to go's either really (who REALLY cares how charged they are when they arrive....?), my testing is real world rather than number crunching, but they work just as well as eneloops / infiniums as far as I can tell...

aye, 1-2 hours is a good compromise. And I use a LOT of batteries... the 7dayshop 8 bay charger is good :) no complaints with their own brand good to go's either really (who REALLY cares how charged they are when they arrive....?), my testing is real world rather than number crunching, but they work just as well as eneloops / infiniums as far as I can tell...

Same here. I've run them side by side with eneloops and found very little difference.

But if you get 600+ flashes out of a set of Eneloops you are unlikely to be charging 6 full sets of batteries. If you can charge a set in 3 hours and use 2 sets then job sorted. With £8.50 for 4 Eneloops inc charger you could get a charger with each set and charge 30 at the same time anyway. Personally I have 48 Eneloops and so may have 20 to charge from one day from 3 flashes and 8 in the grip.

What would be a fast charger? The tiny one above surely can't be that fast?

From the Sanyo website :

Can I use a "Quick Charger" to charge an eneloop battery?
Though it is possible to charge an eneloop battery in a "Quick Charger", it is not recommended. We recommend charging eneloop batteries in a NiMh charger that is 2 hours or more. Charging eneloop batteries in a "Quick Charger" can reduce the overall life of the battery.

Back