7Dii Time Laspe

I own a 7Dii and would like to start using the time laspe feature.
Has any one done this on the 7Dii and if what is your opinion.
Also what software did I need to stitch the files together ! ?
I have De Vinci resolve,ifhtroom, Photoshop
I have used it. My opinion is that it works. Did you have any specific questions?

I've assembled stills into timelapse videos using LRTimelapse (a Lightroom plug-in), and also using Windows Movie Maker. But really, there are tons and tons of software options out there, many of them free.

Hi StewartR,

I was hoping to get decent size images in time laspe so I could move in and left to right or up and down for the scene.

I am hoping to move away from using my GoPro Hero 4 Black for time laspe as it is another camera ( even though it is small ) to carry around while I am holiday just in case I may use it. I would sooner have 1 of 2 cameras I take with me. That being my 7Dii and Sony NEX5R

I will look for a free software and the LR plug in as I use that application a lot.

Thanks for the info

Last edited:
I was hoping to get decent size images in time laspe so I could move in and left to right or up and down for the scene.
Any DSLR with an intervalometer (either built-in, or external) will allow you to do that. You're just taking a series of still images and you'll be combining them into a timelapse later, so the still images can be any size you like, up to and including the full resolution offered by the camera.

However, do note that you might run into issues with the capacity of your memory card. Still images will tend to be larger than video frames (and you've said you want them to be larger); plus, the camera can't use any video-specific compression techniques when storing them. For example, if you have a video where the differences between successive frames are small (which is often the case), the camera effectively just computes the differences and stores them, which is very efficient on space. However if you're taking single still images the camera doesn't know that there's supposed to be a relationship between them, so it has to store each image independently.

You can get a feel for how important this is by referring to pages 151 and 334 of your 7D Mk II user manual. Using an 8GB card you can shoot about 290 full-size RAW images or 1090 full-size high-quality JPEGS, and at 25 frames per second that would give you 11½ seconds or 43½ seconds of video respectively. But shooting video, even the highest quality setting gives you 11 minutes of recording. That's a big difference. Shooting a timelapse via series of stills requires a lot more attention to planning, in order to ensure you have enough memory card capacity.

Good point StewartR,
I had some time ago purchased a fair few 16gb cards for doing time laspe.

At the moment I use my GoPro Hero 4 Black for time laspe and rendering it in to a video in camera. Of course the sensor size is small so file size are also smaller than the 7Dii
As mentioned before I am taking 2td camera, batteries, accessories etc

So using my main camera for time laspe to me sshould make my life easier.

Back