EF 8-15/4 L fisheye
EF 300/2.8 IS L II
EF 400/2.8 IS L II
EF 600/4 IS L II
EF 500/4 IS L II
EF Extender 1.4x III
EF Extender 2x III

http://www.dpreview.com

That fisheye zoom looks VERY interesting and I bet the 70-300 L sells well...especially if it's sharp throughout the range :)

Yup. I will now hangfire on a 2x until the MkIII is available. Should suit my 70-200II very well. Looks like a good set of lenses although it is worth noting that the 500 and 600 are still somewhat further away.

Does the new 70-300 win the prize for the smallest white lens?

I like the sound of the 70-300 IS with L glass, i was just going to buy a MKII X2 extender maybe i should wait?

The EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6L IS USM is available from October priced £1599.99 RRP inc VAT

I am curious if the 70-300mm L is nothing more than an upgraded version of the current 70-300mm IS, seems a very similar lens.
Thats a very sharp lens and with a little tweaking and the cosmetics changed to white that lens could easily pass for an L.

Last edited:
Seeing all this new stuff becoming available it's easy to forget that photography is about taking photographs, and not buying the latest gear......

The new 70-300 lens looks VERY tempting, although I notice its about twice the weight of a 70-200 f4 nonIS.

And those new Sony's .......:eek:

The EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6L IS USM is available from October priced £1599.99 RRP inc VAT

Hmm, I can see where Canon have improved this over the existing 70-300 IS USM but is this new one really gonna be £1200 better? :eek: :shrug:

I can see why they've not made it constant aperture though, it'd basically kill sales of the 70-200 F/4 lenses.

Last edited:
Last edited:
As it stands it may kill sales of the 100-400 instead.

Can't see that happening either really. Given the choice between a 70-300 with variable aperture and 100-400 with an almost identical aperture range I'd think there will still be plenty of people that will go with the 100-400 as it gives them that all important extra bit of length

Looking at the pricing, you're probably right, but I guess that lens generates a lot less revenues that the 70-200's.

I wonder what price it'll eventaully settle at? Looking at the pricing of the 100-400 on Amazon, it's RRP is £1,939.99 but it's available for £1,289.00, about 66% of RRP.
On those maths, we should see the new one for about £1050 once the initial rush is over.

I still wouldn't pay that for a 70-300 though. I think they're taking the pee personally, all they've done is spruce up the optics a bit, weather seal it and paint it white, and they want over a grand for it? Bugger off, Canon.

With my own now dormant 70-300 IS in mind, I can only think they've done things to improve the optics, cos mine really didn't impress above 200mm to be honest, but it's a heck of a price jump. If sigma can make a 100-300 f/4, why shouldn't Canon make a 70-300 f/4 and try to steal a march, it may justify the price but I cannot see it ever being worth that much, even the expected price.

On the plus side I may be able to get a decent price on the EF II extenders now.

I still wouldn't pay that for a 70-300 though. I think they're taking the pee personally, all they've done is spruce up the optics a bit, weather seal it and paint it white, and they want over a grand for it? Bugger off, Canon.

Reckon they might be appealling to those who buy the 70-300 as a second lens (lord knows I did) now they've got the "L option" to tempt them out of their cash...you can almost picture the scene in Jessops...

I jut don't understand the market position or point of this new 70-300. Without a fixed aperture it makes no sense. And the price looks to be crazy!

As said already a much larger front element would be needed for it to be F4 at 300mm. It seems to me that the whole point of the lens is to be compact.

Last edited:

Well having owned both the "normal" 70-300 (2 copies) as well as the DO version, they are definitely not L-quality optically beyond about 220mm or so. I currently have the 70-200/4L IS and 70-200/2.8L IS II which are stunning lenses even with the 1.4x and have been considering adding the 100-400..

At the price mentioned, this new 70-300 will have to be better optically than the 100-400 to sell well. Yes, I would have MUCH preferred a bit bigger size 70-300/4L IS constant aperture, so that you can put a 1.4x extender on it without losing AF. But hey, maybe they'll release a 200-400/4L IS lens next and dump the old 100-400? Please?!

Maybe my wallet is a little slow in opening sometimes, but not sure how £1599.99 can be described as affordable!

I know that it is an L lens, but the 70-200 f/4 IS lens is half the price!

That 70-300 is a surprise I must say.

I thought initially they had just branded the old one "L" and little more but...

The construction seems quite different to the existing 70-300 IS - the new one has a lot more elements which should provide more CA control but its a hell of a price for a non-fixed aperture lens. A 70-200 IS with 1.4x TC probably gives an equal result and obviously without it a lot better result.

Curious.

I guess like all zooms, the making them better thing just prices them out the market compared with the long primes.

:O Just checked out a picture of the new EF 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6L IS USM. It's a white lens??

Also, completely pointless but they're changing the shade of white on 'L' lenses...

I'm most interested in the 8-15 fisheye.

Dave

I wonder what they mean by an "optional dedicated tripod mount"? for the 70-300 zoom?

the foot must be an optional accessory like the 70-200 f4

tbh they had to make something to replace the 100-400 its soooooft (well the one I played with up Cad was)

intruiged by the fishy but nothing there that makes me quiver

That 70-300mm harks back to the dumpy 35-350mm - looks like a great prospect but what a price tag....

That fisheye looks an exciting lens for both FF and crop users. Probably the most bonkers lens they've launched for years but I reckon it'll be good fun for impact editorial and sports. Wonder what the price tag will be.... £1400?....

With the 60D, it's all go over at Canon.....

Interested in the extenders and what improvements have been made.

Is it likely the x2 will be able to retain AF now?

I bought a 70-200mm f4.0 (non IS) a few months ago. Bit of a stretch for me, but I'm delighted with it. I wouldn't even consider the new 70-300mm at these sort of prices, with a slow f5.6 at the long end, even if they do include the hood because it's an L!

Interested in the extenders and what improvements have been made.
Is it likely the x2 will be able to retain AF now?
As Paul has already indicated, AF will rely on the lens and Camera being used - you will still lose two stops of light.
You can AF with a 2x if you have a fast enough lens and or the right Camera. With a 2.8 lens for instance you can AF on any Camera but a f4 lens would require a 1 series Camera.

Last edited:
Ahh i see, gotcha. So a f5.6 lens it out of the question regardless of body if you want to keep af?

Choices choices. :D

Re the RRP that have been put-up on Warehouse Express for pre orders - Once they have made a killing with all the 'must have right away' punters the prices will probably settle down to around 65% - 70% of the RRP.

The 70-300mm doesn't appeal, the MKIII TC's sound promising, but probably like the new nikon TC rather on the expensive side, although I've been pleased with the results from the MKII 2x TC on my 300mm.

Its a shame that yet again canon has failed too not update the 100-400mm

Back