82mm ND filter

Name
Ivan
Edit My Images
Yes
I've been looking at ND filters for my 24-70 II and 16-35 II (both 82mm filter size thankfully). Any suggestions? It's for professional architectural work mainly to help blur people walking in bright external shots. I'd seen a Gobe NDX variable filter on the jungle, anyone had any experience with these? They apparently offer ND 2-400 in one filter and have a few good reviews.

Many thanks

Lee compatible holder and WA adaptor for 82mn and then square filters of your choice... it's what I did and I've never looked back. Personally I doubt the effectiveness of variables but others may have found good ones which work. I tend to know whether I want a 2 stop etc and more often I'm looking for a grad anyway... YMMV

Hoya also does a few, of course there's going to be lots depending on your budget.

If you're looking for a filter that has a minimal colour cast - there's an American company - fairly recent startup called Breaktrhough - I bought a ten stop and a polariser from them around 6 months ago. The 10 stop I haven't used as much as I would have liked - but where I have used it - very happy with the colour. The few times I went out to get a sunrise or sunset - there wasn't a cloud in the sky. Not what you need for a 10 stop shot (in my case). They're not cheap though. The 10 stop 82mm is currently USD$189.00:

http://breakthrough.photography/product/x4-neutral-density/

I bought a polariser at the same time - and recently I noticed there was a scratch on it, not a big one, but still a scratch. I'm genuinely very careful with my kit, and couldn't for the life of me work out how it had gotten there. I was a bit disappointed that a filter at this price had scratched so easily - considering the minimal use it had had. I wrote them a message, and said how disappointed I was - (and I was) - but expecting them to say 'oh well be more careful next time' - but instead, they were apologetic, and offered to send me another one FOC (which is currently in transit). They don't mind that I can't send the other one back until mid-September on my next UK visit. I was actually wowed off my feet at their response - so not only do I recommend their filter - I also recommend their service (there were a few horror stories of service in their early days, but they seem to have gotten over that). So if within your budget - and you want as little of a colour cast as possible - I'd go for one of these. This is one of my images using it - just a sunrise through the window, the clouds were incredibly slow.

1DX_0176.jpg

Back