85mm F1.8 or 50mm F1.4 on a crop sensor?

I'm sure I've said this before but 50mm is rubbish for traditional head and shoulders portraits. Crop or full frame makes no difference.

I'm sure I've said this before but 50mm is rubbish for traditional head and shoulders portraits. Crop or full frame makes no difference.
You're not alone, but we appear to be in the minority.

Completely right! but in the minority.

Is 85mm on full frame acceptable?

To be brutally honest for tight head and shoulder portraits no, not for me. Ideally 130mm plus.

The trouble is in defining a "portrait". That's why I emphasize the head and shoulders bit.

For a wider portrait (ie waist up) then 85mm is fine. But for tighter shots I still 85mm to be unflattering.

I'll see if I can fish out an example :)

If your budget is tight, then I'd say that a combination of the 50mm 1.8 and 85mm 1.8 is a no-brainer. Some can get a little elitist about the cheap build of the 50mm 1.8, and whilst the focus not the fastest around, for the money I'd say that only a fool would pass it up and not have a 50 in their bag. The 85mm 1.8 is just a beauty though, and whilst it might get a bit tight on a crop sensor, the image quality of it is pretty much second to none at the price it is at.

Back