85mm filter holder at 17mm full frame - would this work?

Name
Tom
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi All,

I'm looking to upgrade my filter system - currently an absurd hodge podge of drop-in nd grads in a cheap cokin holder and screw-in polariser and 10-stop ND.

I'm looking at the formatt-hitech system but I guess it applies to other brands too: will an 85mm system (with a bit on the end for a polariser) work on at 17mm (17-35mm lens) on a full frame camera? I really don't want to have to buy in to the more expensive 100mm system.

Thanks!

My Lee 100mm system vignettes a little at 17mm with 2 slot holder and wide angle adapter. I'd love to be wrong but can't see how an 85mm system would work.

My Lee 100mm system vignettes a little at 17mm with 2 slot holder and wide angle adapter. I'd love to be wrong but can't see how an 85mm system would work.

Depends what lens really.
If its a mirrorless system with a small thread it should be ok but if its a 77 or 82mm thread no chance.

Hmm, ok. It’s DSLR with 67 and 77mm thread. I guess 100mm system it is! Thanks for the prompt and helpful advice even though it wasn’t what I wanted to hear! On another note, has anyone had experience with formatt hitech system? Is the difference between the standard aluminium holder and the Firecrest that the Firecrest is sealed from light leaks when doing long exposures??

Depends what lens really.
If its a mirrorless system with a small thread it should be ok but if its a 77 or 82mm thread no chance.

Similar angle of view though regardless of thread or front element size.

The firecrest holder has the polariser directly in front the lens with Grads/ND filters in front of that.

The standard holder has the Grads/ ND first (inbetween) then the polariser.

I have the standard holder mainly becuase they hadnt released the 85mm Firecrest holder at the time - there was the 100mm version.
and as I know have the larger CPL am not wanting to upgrade until i need to replace it.

The firecrest holder has the polariser directly in front the lens with Grads/ND filters in front of that.

The standard holder has the Grads/ ND first (inbetween) then the polariser.

I have the standard holder mainly becuase they hadnt released the 85mm Firecrest holder at the time - there was the 100mm version.
and as I know have the larger CPL am not wanting to upgrade until i need to replace it.

Thanks - and what’s the situation with big stoppers? How do you go about preventing light leaks?

not had any with the standard holder, only had one issue when stacking the 10 and 6 stoppers, I got light circles which i think came from light on the top of the filters. ive seen people place a cloth over the filter to stop this but as id not experianced any issues didnt do so. they come with gaskets if needed

not had any with the standard holder, only had one issue when stacking the 10 and 6 stoppers, I got light circles which i think came from light on the top of the filters. ive seen people place a cloth over the filter to stop this but as id not experianced any issues didnt do so. they come with gaskets if needed

That’s good. so what’s the benefit of having the polariser closest to the lens? There’s a fair price difference for the Firecrest so it must be worth it.

no personal experiance but from what ive read it reduces the risk of vignetting,
the firecrest holder also has a mechanism built in to rotate the polariser that makes easier to use. In theory its easier to add and remove filters when using the polariser
Its the mechanism etc that makes it more espensive that the simple machined aluminium holder

Back